Emergency Spacesuit

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Emergency Spacesuit

Post by Gamarr » #8432

Probably a really, really old idea concept from the days of goon, but after looking I could not find anything recent that was similar. Theirs was simple, the suit protected you from majority of the damage of space (at the time), and then wore off after so long and broke up leaving you without it. I don't really care for it 'destroying' itself after so long. Our space does brute and burn damage now. This really should be a basic thing that comes with your airtank box honestly and it annoys me that people are puttering around in a station without emergency apparatus to save your ass if you are exposed to space.

Why? It makes sense. How? Low temperature/pressure threshold in comparison to normal suits. You won't die right off by using it, but you will freeze, and slowly accrue those bits of pressure/burn as the suit fails to completely shield you. "But people will drink coffees to make for easy-space-suits now", except as it is I believe, we can't drink through space helmets anymore can we? So you take off the helmet to drink, and the brute from the pressure adds up while you protect yourself with the coffee-warmth so that won't work either I hope, requiring you to just stick to the suit and its accompanying crappy-helmet. I don't think it would be too OP because of how freezing you are, and barely moving, even if you crawl across the derelict to try finding a space suit, would take a good long while when you are maximum chilled. Atop of wearing that bulky spacesuit slowing you down.

Not perfect perhaps but I don't see why people in space don't have a lifeline. Similar to having foam-sprayers in handheld forms to fix potholes maint. Is this that bad of an idea?
Malkevin

Re: Emergency Spacesuit

Post by Malkevin » #8606

No, because we're not meant to be 'safe'.

Hull breaches, getting thrown into space, things like that are meant to be deadly.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #8617

I could see giving people an emergency pressure suit, that only slightly reduces the pressure, letting you skip across bomb blasts and such faster.

Not 100% immune, or people will just roll up on coffee and fuck off to space, it's intended to still hurt you but offer more protection than just skipping across space and dying.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #8618

Does anyone else think its stupid that a cup of coffee and wearing a firesuit allows you to survive exposure to deep space?

I would not mind a Emergency Suit taking the place of the Coffee+Firesuit combo and nerfing the fuck out of Coffee and Firesuits for space protection. It should protect you for a short while but not forever, and you still take damage.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #8619

Why coffee and firesuit, when you can just light yourself on fire?
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #8628

Space puts out fire
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #8639

Steelpoint wrote:Does anyone else think its stupid that a cup of coffee and wearing a firesuit allows you to survive exposure to deep space?
No, not really.

Everyone having space suits in their boxes certainly is!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #8640

It should probley not be able to be placed in a backpack to cut down on people looting it immediently.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #8649

It comes folded, in the emerge box, and once unfolded does not even fit in your backpack, like a normal spacesuit. It's not meant to keep you alive indefinitely, but a few minutes of staying alive at best while you try to crawl somewhere.

The firesuit+coffee doesn't belong as it is, and would be nice if space was more lethal (I also miss it not being 'lit' and pitch darkness outside of the station).
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #8654

The goon ones were pretty crummy though. They gave you like, an extra 30 seconds of not dying, and when you actually got to a safe tile, you couldn't move. The suit didn't remove the chilling effects of spess, so you'd have the suits slowdown AND the cold of spess keeping you from leaving.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #8682

Just add the goon-style ones in select emergency lockers around the station, or in Emergency Storage. That way it's there if someone wants to seek them out, but not automatically given to every player.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #8817

Actually at one time the goon ones somehow caused more damage from space exposure then just being naked.

Good old quality nanotransen products.

As an alternative to a space suit, what about a space survival pill in everyone's internals box, we can more directly control how long such a pill would last and I think it can be made with current meds.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #8978

A one-use expanding spacesuit? I like the sound of that. So long as they don't allow you to walk indefinitely, it sounds like a good and thematically appropriate addition.
Timrod

Post by Timrod » #9054

Cheimon wrote:A one-use expanding spacesuit? I like the sound of that. So long as they don't allow you to walk indefinitely, it sounds like a good and thematically appropriate addition.
Actually, I had an idea for this that would be an expandable energy bubble, which expands from a small handheld item. It has just enough charge to get you from one end of the station to the other. Can be recharged in a cell charger.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #9566

Mind if I point you all to Urist McStations firesuits, the bulky as can be, only spawnable in emergency lockers (another Urist thing), dosent work that well in space but is a HELL of a lot better than a firesuit ones?
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #9784

So we're going for retarded realism where we're all more safe, right? People want this? They want more
Spoiler:
pillows for their hugbox B)
Last edited by 420goslingboy69 on Thu May 29, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #9794

People need to stop using realism as a valid argument, we currently don't need emergency spacesuits because space is supposed to be as deadly as it is now and internals should last you long enough to get away from vacuum.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #10202

Jesus Christ people, make a suggestion and get slammed for being hugbox. Space is, and never has been, dangerous with the exception of space carp. Simply because a cup of coffee and a firesuit is able to negate any negative effect of being in space, not only that but you can easily space walk around half the station with only a set of internals.

If a Emergency Spacesuit (Or pressure suit) was added, we could get rid of the dumb Coffee+Firesuit combo and create an official way to actually survive in low pressure environments instead of a trick used by veterans. Not only that but it might inspire a actual effort to make pressure and space more dangerous.

If you want space to be dangerous, convince enough people to port over Bay's atmo system.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #10216

Dangerous doesn't necessarily mean 99% lethal even if you wear a space suit like some iterations of Baymos.

Make it a rare atmos closet content so a legion of temp suited greys don't storm every bunged escape arm.