Hamster Batteries

A place to record your ideas for the game.
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Hamster Batteries

Post by kazeespada » #139620

So, here's an idea I came up with. It's essentially using Hamster Wheels to power parts of the station.

1. New mob: Hamsters. They are like Mice but cooler, and don't turn into items when they die. Orderable by cargo.

2. New battery! Hamster wheel! An infinite battery, just don't kill the hamster.

Optional:
3. Possibly removing the AI's SMES and giving it one of these in it's APC for the sheer irony of having a silicon's life in the hands of a small lifeform.

Also, Unrelated: Did anyone miss me?
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Hamster Batteries

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #139711

no
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #139716

>infinite battery

The hamster gets tired to, has to stop for water, has to stop to eat, and gets bored eventually

What you mean is "Can we have something that just moves forever to produce power that keeps coming forever"

I'd be down for adding hamsters, and adding a faster cell charger version of this, but not infinite batterys.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #139728

I would expect a hamster battery to very slowly recharge, assuming you've got some sort of hamster life support going (food, water, at the very least air).

But it wouldn't be infinite. it'll run out of charge and very slowly build back up, because hamsters produce a negligible amount of energy.

Silicons are already in the hands of organic matter. They've got brains in the middle. Which are usually organic, anyway.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #139735

kazeespada wrote:So, here's an idea I came up with. It's essentially using Hamster Wheels to power parts of the station.

1. New mob: Hamsters. They are like Mice but cooler, and don't turn into items when they die. Orderable by cargo.
Neat.
2. New battery! Hamster wheel! An infinite battery, just don't kill the hamster.
Awesome, but are they cells that always give power, or are simply self recharging?
Optional:
3. Possibly removing the AI's SMES and giving it one of these in it's APC for the sheer irony of having a silicon's life in the hands of a small lifeform.
I would recommend posting this one as a separate idea here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32

Also, Unrelated: Did anyone miss me?
Absolutely not, if all you are doing to do is make ridiculous nerfs to roles you do not play. Having not played for over a year and seeking to detract a player's experience is not something I welcome.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #139776

Oh yeah, hamsters would definitely be neat. Or just a rodent Life Support Unit (IE a cage with a water bottle) that you could put mice and, presumably, hamsters into.

Infinite batteries already exist, by the way. The sprite is a gold battery, I assume they're admin spawned, got given one once by a nice robo as a cyborg.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #139778

Replace Poly with a small gerbil that generates 1W/min when
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #139791

I'd play CE just to power the station on a massive array of hamsters alone.

Order a borg to keep them alive and fed because if they die humans might get harmed due to lack of power or something
kazeespada

Post by kazeespada » #139792

Okay. I tottally blanked and forgot I needed sprites for this.

So I need: a hamster, a dead hamster, a splatted hamster, a power cell with an empty hamster wheel, and a power cell with a hamster in a hamster wheel running.

The reason they are infinite is because it would take more effort to have the hamsters require food and drink to survive as well as actually provide charge.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #139793

Cheimon wrote:Oh yeah, hamsters would definitely be neat. Or just a rodent Life Support Unit (IE a cage with a water bottle) that you could put mice and, presumably, hamsters into.

Infinite batteries already exist, by the way. The sprite is a gold battery, I assume they're admin spawned, got given one once by a nice robo as a cyborg.
You can find them in abandoned crates.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #139795

kazeespada wrote:Okay. I tottally blanked and forgot I needed sprites for this.

So I need: a hamster, a dead hamster, a splatted hamster, a power cell with an empty hamster wheel, and a power cell with a hamster in a hamster wheel running.

The reason they are infinite is because it would take more effort to have the hamsters require food and drink to survive as well as actually provide charge.

Will hamster cells run around, bumping into things, if left unattended? I sure hope so.
kazeespada

Post by kazeespada » #139817

Cheimon wrote:
kazeespada wrote:Okay. I tottally blanked and forgot I needed sprites for this.

Will hamster cells run around, bumping into things, if left unattended? I sure hope so.
Once again not possible.

The reason why is that cells don't process. So anything that needs to be called repeatedly has to be called by the hamster(hamsters are actually a child of mice).
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #141144

So make them process. It isn't even hard. I can do it in less than a minute.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL