Crab People, Playable race

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Crab People, Playable race

Post by Lumbermancer » #154517

Crab People playable race when? They walk like crab, talk like people. They can only move forward and backwards, A&D rotate. Tank controls, like mechs. But they talk like people, with no buzzing or hissing or whatever.

They can't wield guns properly, their rate of fire is significantly reduced because big claws are not great at pulling triggers. They can hold stun batons just fine. Their claws by themselves do damage and cause bleeding, but can be used to hold people in place as well. And heir carapace can mitigate serious brute force, and they can't be pushed away or pushed through. All this would make them ideal Wardens or Head of Security.

HoS simulation:
Spoiler:
Because they have many legs, they are unaffected by lack of gravity as they can hold on to surfaces and objects to propel themselves easily. Their carapace is also space-worthy, they only need a mask and tank to go into space. They are Crab People after all, not mere crabs. That makes them suitable Engineers as well.

Engineer simulation:
Spoiler:
Because they are sorta like space-american-italians, they could be great chefs as well, making pizzas and stuff. Unfortunately I couldn't find chefs hat on wiki to make a proper simulation.

Chef approximation:
Spoiler:
As you can see, Crab People are a breath of fresh air. They are not humanoids for starters, which makes them unique in itself. They are also not basically humans on fire, which is a huge win for everyone. Including your fucking lack of imagination.

Crab People 2016. Thank you. You can post other Crab people simulations below.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Crab People, Playable race

Post by Saegrimr » #154518

I'm going to figure out how to give a crab mob hands, then turn you into it when you least expect it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #154543

This is just stupid enough to get implemented
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #154598

We need this
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #154600

Now THIS is quality shitposting
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #154787

You think that's shitposting or a joke, but it ain't. I'm deadly serious. If you want snowflake races, make something fun and unique. Something that plays differently, something with its own set of pros and cons.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #154818

I'm deadly serious.
I'll take you at your word then, and address it seriously. In my opinion, all playable races should hope to fulfil two goals. First, that it fits with the setting in a creative manner. Second, that it has real pros and cons which leave humans as a still-viable choice. I reckon plasmapeople and slimepeople are the best at this, though I know you disagree.

So the first goal means either making something that fits with established ss13 lore (a plasma monster, a toxic slime hybrid), or the science fiction motif generally (fly hybrids, synths, though I'm not such a fan of either). The least good, setting wise, is a race that does neither. Normally that's Human + Earth Lifeform = Animalrace. Lizard People. Crab People. Fly People would be here but for 'The Fly'.

However, that can be redeemed if they're awesome enough at the second goal. Pros and cons. At its simplest form, with lizards, this is pros=more unique, cons=nonhuman. Lizards get racism as a con too, because arguably that wasn't good enough as a concept. With something more complex, slimes, you might get pros=poison blood, body switching, cons=medicine allergies, nonhuman, generic look. Plasmas get very little in terms of pros, but cons=burn in oxygen, uncloneable, breathe plasma, nonhuman. Unless you want 'cantina station' (nobody's human, everyone's a snowflake)

Your Crab People pros and cons are like this. Pros = spaceworthy, magbooted, armoured, knifehands, quickchoke claws, mech movement. Cons = fires guns slower, nonhuman (but impossible to tell at a difference). Who wouldn't want to play one? There's no downside! It reads like you're so enamoured with the concept that you're too afraid to make them face any genuine difficulties.

That's why people think it's shitposting. It's an overpowered animalrace being presented with amusing pictures, and a straight face. Deadpan humour. Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #154820

You forgot about the moving like a mech part, meaning any greenshirt with working pair of legs can just run away. Or circle strafe and toolbox to death. I actually thought it would be too big of a con in the first place, and you omitted it entirely.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #154825

add all the FTL races so we can have engi engies building autismforts and lanius driving all the atmotechs crazy

and the chittering shrieks of a million mantis assistants breaking stuff and never doing anything useful or productive
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #154833

Lumbermancer wrote:You forgot about the moving like a mech part, meaning any greenshirt with working pair of legs can just run away. Or circle strafe and toolbox to death. I actually thought it would be too big of a con in the first place, and you omitted it entirely.
No, I put that as a pro. A big one. You're in any kind of narrow area, nobody's getting past you. You just throw things out of the way. Forget slipping or having to watch out in maintenance. Everyone moves away from you. Sure you can't turn as much, but for a lot of stuff that really doesn't matter. It's like having a nodrop riot shield, especially since your melee attacks will be omnidirectional anyway. In an airlock? You can block it totally by just existing. Moving like a mech is a big benefit in any situation but running away.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #154837

Mech melee attacks are not omnidirectional, though. You need to move and face the enemy.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #154839

Ah, I see. Still think they're very powerful for any non-combat job, then, which is most of them. So long as you can still face a narrow enough area, you're still good. After all, many mech users do very well with mostly punches, and like a mech crabs can use guns.
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #155086

ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #155089

Question. Do they taste like crab and talk like people?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #155093

A good first step.
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #155098

ThanatosRa wrote:Question. Do they taste like crab and talk like people?
They taste like drone(totally not a drone in a crab suit), and talk like people.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #155218

This is an alternative species idea I can get behind.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #155261

Scott wrote:This is an alternative species idea I can get behind.
it's not a species, it's a reskinned drone

edit: wait i'm stupid you mean the thread topic not the actual PR
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #155342

I read that as "cat people" and thought "hold on a minute".
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #156532

FUND IT
U
N
D

I
T
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #156574

crab people, crab people, taste like crab, talk like people
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
AngryTurnip
Byond Username: AngryTurnip

Post by AngryTurnip » #156775

I don't know if you're aware of this but having multiple crab legs wouldn't counteract antigravity.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #161350

As long as the meat can be processed into sea food and crab sticks (Space lobster females/Snowflake alt features like lizards?) im happy.

Just say that due to sea pressure, the crabs cling very tightly to the floor and have additional feelers/suckers to keep still in the face of space wind/antigrav/water.

Spoiler:
Whoisthere
Byond Username: Whoisthere

Post by Whoisthere » #210796

Were these added yet
Sad elegy
Highly suitable for use in funerals
Reyn
Byond Username: ReynTime13

Post by Reyn » #210831

Best idea 2k16.

Crabperson inquisition when.
I play Trevor Fea on Bagil, And Giorno Giovanna on terry. Yes, I'm THAT raging asshole. Sorry for being such a cunt.
Have I told you how much I hate engineering, by the way?