Ways to limit infinite resources without making it obnoxious

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Ways to limit infinite resources without making it obnoxious

Post by onleavedontatme » #162448

I am thinking about

-Sleepers

-Medibots

-Cryo

All three of these more or less produce infinite healing. You just chuck a patient in the machine or let the robot sit in the lobby.

So how to make these still useful/not a complete pain to use without being unlimited health based on 0 resources?

Or is this all misguided?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: Ways to limit infinite resources without making it obnox

Post by MMMiracles » #162451

Make sleepers use the same recharge method as Chem dispensers, but at a slower recharge rate.

Nerf the medibot's healing Chem but make it have something similar to the medbay mech where it can slowly regen custom chemicals from the internal beaker to encourage creative heal mixes from chemists.

Maybe increase cryo's consumption rate for its internal beaker so the 2 spare beakers don't keep lasting for multiple rounds?
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #162468

MMMiracles wrote:Make sleepers use the same recharge method as Chem dispensers, but at a slower recharge rate.

Nerf the medibot's healing Chem but make it have something similar to the medbay mech where it can slowly regen custom chemicals from the internal beaker to encourage creative heal mixes from chemists.

Maybe increase cryo's consumption rate for its internal beaker so the 2 spare beakers don't keep lasting for multiple rounds?
I was about to type this but you beat me to it. This is the correct answer.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #162493

make everything in the OP require tons of broadcast juice from APCs, make juice actually finite ez
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #162535

I think medibots are in a good place to be honest.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #162537

Why is this necessary
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #162547

ShadowDimentio wrote:Why is this necessary
something something hug box something something coders like nerfing things
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #162549

Like if you have a good idea for an alternative I'm all ears, but all I'm hearing so far is removing/nerfing things just because.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #162550

Kor wrote:I am thinking about

-Sleepers

-Medibots

-Cryo

All three of these more or less produce infinite healing. You just chuck a patient in the machine or let the robot sit in the lobby.

So how to make these still useful/not a complete pain to use without being unlimited health based on 0 resources?

Or is this all misguided?
> Give them all capacitor components and fluctuating equivilent costs. Keep it infinite but have it on a charge. Med bots must recharge between uses but have better/unique/faster acting chems as a rebalance.

Cryo isn't infinite, it has to be stocked the issue with cryo is within the chemical components (all cryo is, is just a big health sensor freeze tube that puts people to sleep)

> tech progress pays for itself.

Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #162561

cryo doesn't even work anymore.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #162562

It really doesn't. It puts you to sleep for a long time and heals at a snails pace.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #162563

if you don't succumb to your wounds before it even starts doing anything. i've been having more success as a medical doctor by pumping them full of cryox and epinephrine and shoving them in a cold shower.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #162616

medibot's healing chem is still shitty ineffective Saline-Glucose isn't it?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #162623

Malkevin wrote:medibot's healing chem is still shitty ineffective Saline-Glucose isn't it?
var/treatment_brute = "bicaridine"
var/treatment_oxy = "dexalin"
var/treatment_fire = "kelotane"
var/treatment_tox = "antitoxin"
var/treatment_virus = "spaceacillin"

They have really good chems for basically anything except clone/brain damage
ShadowDimentio wrote:Why is this necessary
-Renders an entire department/entire set of players more or less redundant once robotics sticks an arm on an empty medkit and leaves it in the lobby

-Managing resources leads to interesting choices/stress ("we're almost out of meds, we just used the last of the bicardine on the clown, we can't save the captain"

-Having infinite of everything from roundstart results in easy survival/every player standing around bored out of their skulls waiting for an antag to kill them, or an excuse to kill the antag
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #162631

Maybe make medbots not heal anybody above under 75% health. Kinda dumb one can bring you back from crit, but as a little box sitting in the lobby for the I SLIPPED ON SOME LUBE GIMME 30 BRUTE PATCHES FOR MY SCRAPED KNEE that runs by.
Last edited by Saegrimr on Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #162635

Cryo currently starts with 2 full beakers for each tube. Make it only 1 full beaker for each, and chemistry will need to replace the fluid again (30 units doesn't normally cover a whole round, 60 units often will).

Give sleepers an internal synthesiser that uses plenty of power and which ticks things up at a steady rate to a maximum storage capacity of, let's say, 100 of each chem. Let them be turned on and off manually if you don't want the power draining. If you really want to splash out, sprite LEDs for when the sleeper is full up (green?), synthesising (red?), and off (blank?).

Make medibots recharge chemicals from these sleepers, maybe. They can have, I guess, 50 of each chem? To start not totally obnoxiously, they could start half full (25 of each). Either you have to plug them in (a lot like portable scrubbers and pumps), or maybe they even path and move to the sleepers on their own when they run out of a particular chemical and hook themselves up.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #162637

I can kinda see where Kor is coming from, in that Medical's job can (mostly) be done by machines once/if Science does their job.

But I can't help but feel you are trying to treat a symptom, not the cause.

Electricity is the Infinite resource here, and everything that uses electricity thus becomes infinite use. Last I checked 900kW active charge is enough to keep the station fully stocked on power and then some. Rework the engines to require more babysitting from engineering, and make their stable states less powerful. That alone would make power a valued commodity and not something taken for granted. Nerfing Medical isn't going to do much but make them feel even more worthless if a knowledgeable chemist isn't on hand, since their job goes down one of a few trees. 1) Stick person Sleeper, apply chems till healed. 2) Stick person in cryo, allow time to heal. 3) Apply patches/pills until person is healed. 4) Repair internal damage with Surgery. 5) Kill them and clone them, to bypass most healing needs.

Medicine patches are just as much an infinite resource as Sleepers and Medibots, they just have a slow down in the form of a recharging capacitor/power cell inside of them, getting science to just make porta-chems for more energy would become the new meta if medi-bots and sleepers were nerfed to be as ineffective as cryo is right now.

Surgery is the most interesting part of Medical, imo, and it's something people have gone through great lengths to avoid because it's time consuming. The only time medical treatment is exciting is if the person is in crit/dying and the doctor manages to bring them back around, aside from that it's just wait patiently for Doctor to get the magic patch or put you in the machine and push the magic buttons. Or bribe the shit out of a Miner to get stablized hivecores and just ignore medical all together.

Nerfing for the sake of nerfing is just going to piss a lot of people off. If you want to make medical not push buttons all day and actually treat people, put a new system in place for healing.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #162639

Davidchan wrote:Rework the engines to require more babysitting from engineering, and make their stable states less powerful.
I'd been thinking the same but in a different direction. Machines need to draw significantly more power.

Sabotaging the engine is only really done for the destruction the engine causes. Snipping the wires to cause a blackout can take an hour for most departments. The bridge and central primary going offline first after ~20 minutes because the huge amount of lights and computer terminals on a single APC. Its pointless.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #162695

Why not just make it so only medical can build medibots? Give them a special machine somewhere that they can shove empty medkits into and after a little while a medibot gets pooped out that can only heal the damage of the kit used to make it, so tox kit only heals tox, burn kit only heals burn, brute only heals brute, regular medkit injects doctor's delight, that sort of thing.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #162774

CosmicScientist wrote:You do mean under, right? Or am I reading this wrong?
Oh shit, you're right. I meant under.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #162775

From what I've seen, one medibot sting can heal you to full assuming you're not in critical. That'd be a fair tradeoff but I don't think medibots need the nerf personally.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #163412

Zilenan91 wrote:From what I've seen, one medibot sting can heal you to full assuming you're not in critical. That'd be a fair tradeoff but I don't think medibots need the nerf personally.
Medibots do 15u injections by default, so assuming the stats weren't changed, baychem heals were at the following rates (Per 5 units):
Bicard heals 26 brute
Dylovene heals 26 toxic
Keloton heals 26 burn
Dermaline heals 39 burn
Tricordrazine heals 23 all
Doctor's Delight heals 46 all

So, a single prick from a medibot would heal 78 brute, burn, toxin or suffocation. Not certain of the tick rate but I think all of the old baychem was at 2 per tick so it takes ~8 seconds to do a full heal. Bumping Medibots down to Saline would be mostly fine, or just retooling their chems to heal 2-5 per u.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #163435

Saline is a beyond terrible heal, all it does is like a 33% chance of .5 heal from what I remember
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #163499

Zilenan91 wrote:Saline is a beyond terrible heal, all it does is like a 33% chance of .5 heal from what I remember
saline does have one use though, you cant OD so you can pump yourself with infinity units
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #163585

The unloved rock wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Saline is a beyond terrible heal, all it does is like a 33% chance of .5 heal from what I remember
saline does have one use though, you cant OD so you can pump yourself with infinity units
Synthflesh, Styptic Powder, and Silver Sulfadiazine also have no OD threshold and heal better.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #163677

Another thing that invalidates doctors is how easy it is for chemists to make a shitload of slap patches and pack the fridge with them. You basically don't need doctors for anything but surgery if the chemists are making patches.
--Crocodillo