Quick Craft

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Quick Craft

Post by Incoming » #209399

Someone who knows tGUI nonsense better than me just do this and save me some damn heartache.

Make a button in the crafting menu (or make this the default menu) that shows a lists with the following features:

1. Always in compact mode
2. Always only showing currently craftable recipes
3. Checks all recipe categories

This set up is the quickest loading tGUI window for those of us who have horrible loading times with tGUI. It's not checking the craftability of all recipes that makes the window take forever to load, it's the rendering of the UI itself. At any given moment most people can't craft more than one or two things in the whole of the crafting menu, so a list like this is very unlikely to take long to load.

As a bonus most people already know what they want to craft before they open the crafting menu so this lets them get right to it instead of having to sort through 18 categories.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: Quick Craft

Post by Remie Richards » #209401

There weren't originally 18 categories, goof just did that as an attempt at pagination.
more categories = less entries to render per page, it's solid logic, but results in "Burgers"," Sandwiches","Another 20 food types"
私は完璧
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #209402

I know but I'm just saying that it takes longer to manually page through those categories than to just render all the categories with safeties in play to keep the number of displayed recipes down.

Especially since the relative locations of buttons jump around between categories based on the lengths of the titles of the categories. For example it's entirely possible to get "stuck" mashing between the "Egg-Based Food" and "Meats" screens because on the Egg menu the categories are:

<- Cakes -> Meats

And on meats they're:

<- Egg-Based Food -> Misc. Food

A large portion of the button that was Meats (category forward) becomes Egg-Based Food (category backwards) and you end up jumping back and forth between the two until you notice what's happening.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #209409

Yeah, multi catagories saved me a lot of heartache and horrible crashes/lag but it is far from perfect
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster