Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Re: 2k16 /pol/

Post by XSI » #231309

Bottom post of the previous page:

Lies and statistics
Same thing, really

It was mostly the media interpreting things wrong. You may say polls are not that much off, but many polls were reported as if Texas would be a battleground state and Trump had no chance even at the most favourable of error margins in many swing states. Regardless of intent, thanks to the media many have lost faith in these polls. Just like with Brexit. Blame the tool when the user makes a mistake

I could go into detail with things, but yeah. You are correct on pretty much all of that. It is within the margins of many polls, and the media pretty much decided to fuck it all up.

Oversampling things is a legit way to find out, for example, how a minority feels about it by oversampling them. Or one could oversample to make it more closely fit the population(Such as a california poll oversampling democrats. It makes sense not to 1:1 them in places where they aren't present 1:1. But you can't take such a poll as being representative of the whole country like the media was doing in places)
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #231355

I don't blame the tool when the user has no idea how to use it and does anyway. Most polls also displayed their data as odds of winning, like Trump has 30% chance of winning, people read that as Trump will lose. Not to mention that outside the USA, in the EU for example, media mixed together national and states polls, giving an even more confused report on the situation to people who don't really know how the election works in America. If you report that Hillary is leading in the national poll, without explaining how that means nothing due to electoral college shenanigans, of course people will call you a liar when she loses, even if it turns out to be true.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #231370

>discussing why a method of propaganda didn't give accurate info

:^)
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #231415

XSI wrote:How did he manage to stab 11? Doesnt someone pull a gun after two or three?

Didn't stop Timothy McVeigh, he got 168 people in a matter of seconds. In this day and age where we pack ourselves in so tightly in buildings and streets its a wonder that there isn't more mass killings. Especially with bombs and cars.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #231424

I think colleges and those on then should lose the protection of American laws now that they are removing their American flags because it might spook their foreign occupier students.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #231435

Couple of em around here and yes, in response to the presidential election not going the way they wanted.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #231455

Protesting by not displaying the flag when one normally would is legitimate. Perhaps distasteful, depending on one's views, but definitely protected by the first amendment.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #231476

I don't think public schools/colleges/unviersities should be making that kind of statement on politics. They're ought to be as neutral as possible.
XSI

Post by XSI » #231481

Depends. If they are fully private schools, then let them do as they want

But if they're funded by public money I can see that as being a bad thing
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #231589

Anonmare wrote:I don't think public schools/colleges/unviersities should be making that kind of statement on politics. They're ought to be as neutral as possible.
Perhaps, but current law permits publicly funded universities to take political stances. By analogy, I don't think the republican usage of the filibuster has been appropriate, even though it is legal. But, I believe a change to the rules is the solution, not demanding that they apologize for their permitted actions and suggesting they should be denied to protection of U.S law.

On the actual question of whether or not universities SHOULD strive for neutrality, I think it's actually preferable for them not to. I believe that bias is an unavoidable consequence of subjective judgement, and that attempts to remove that bias succeed only in concealing it due to the incentives involved. Thus, I think it's better for universities to explicitly acknowledge their political stances so that those affected can account for and confront them.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
starmute

Post by starmute » #231591

CosmicScientist wrote:From the main computer cluster I work in, there's a window with a hastily felt tip penned piece of A3 that reads "REFUGEES WELCOME". It's a year old. I'm not sure if it's an office in the university or a mostly gated off space for students to rarely work in. It looks weird and out of place to me, especially since it's not a window looking out over a well trodden public area, it's pretty much just a part that students and staff walk down and has been the site for construction work for a fairly long time now.

Besides that, recent political outbursts have been... in order... some student spouting about Labour on a megaphone in a commercial street. I could barely understand them, half due to them using a megaphone, half due to their constant swinging the megaphone around so it was never easy to adjust to. Then there was a stall and some other people on a megaphone talking about immigration... but they didn't sound local enough, Newcastle or nationally, to be going off on one about immigrants and the stall had flags on it that I didn't recognise at the time but I think they were the Palestinian one, red triangle with three rows of colours, one of them being green and the other two not really being colourful. Finally there were people with a megaphone who I heard say "Don't shop!" and my flatmate heard say "Don't shoplift!" so we thought they were a part of the Winter market. We wound up circling back around to them and realised they were complaining about a local fashion chain shop selling animal fur products.

I miss me shire where our proud traditions include an annual stabbing, shite cider, singing "tractor, trailer, combine bailer!" and saying "Oo arr!" at the sight of the unclothed ankles of a beef bovine.

When I went to college it was always religion that was crazy. People yelling about how we're all going to hell. I think the worst thing was when some people threw red paint on people going to the vagina monologues. The local chapter of the college republicans were upset that it talked about rape.

Other than that it was pretty tame. I actually went to a protest where I protested to get workers paid a extra penny for every pound of tomatoes that they bring in so they could get paid about $7.00 a hour. (still not that good of a wage in FL but...)
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #231688

How do those people not get the everloving shit kicked out of them on a regular basis? If some fucker doused me in red paint because >stop liking what i don't like I would probably try to remove his teeth with my shoe
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #231691

Usually 'cause they show up in a mob, and cry police brutality when the police arrest them, and if anyone else does anything the fuckers take that as a greenlight to beat the shit out of them.

Think of them like greytiders with the escalation memes. If they win the fight they say they dindu nothing and were attacked first, if they get dunked they mash ahelp about being killed 4noraisins.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #231697

Time to start walking around campus with a fire extinguisher.

Maybe it is because my town is relatively small but i never see any crazies like that, at the college or the university
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #231702

im getting a bad case of salt deprivation, anyone have some vids of really salty people? i've already seen all the ones that are posted in the trump general on /pol/ but there HAS to be more compilations out there.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #231758

tbh lately whenever I feel like a laugh at those people I just watch that vid I posted a page back of the flag burner setting themselves on fire, honestly I don't think it'll ever get old
starmute

Post by starmute » #231780

Wyzack wrote:How do those people not get the everloving shit kicked out of them on a regular basis? If some fucker doused me in red paint because >stop liking what i don't like I would probably try to remove his teeth with my shoe
They were arrested. The problem is that its usually a group of them and only one of them does it. Then shit like that happens again later. There is a endless supply of bullshit. After I graduated I read in a paper the same group tried to put up a chain-link fence around a Cinco de Mayo festival while it was going on.

The problem is people.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #233201

>trump won time's person of the year

dear god the salt mining will never stop
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #233207

So did Hitler, and Stalin (twice)
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #233367

Yeah, as I understand it Person of the Year is meant to be a rating of overall intensity of effect on the world, not a judgement call. If Times hadn't picked Trump they'd be simply wrong. Like him, hate him, or anything in between, he's certainly had an effect.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #233551

All de shitlibs have brought up dat Hitler won it as well as some sort of roundabout way to conflate trump with Hitler. If shitlary kkklinton won it tho they'd be taking to the streets demanding we overturn our democracy and install her as Matriarch for Life
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #233559

Jesus Christ, tone down the memes.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #233564

Stop using the word meme improperly.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #233577

American politics are a meme, though.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
starmute

Post by starmute » #233787

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Stop using the word meme improperly.
Out of curiosity, what is the appropriate way to use "meme". What was improper about his usage?
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #233880

Question.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/09/trump-of ... -news.html

Did I read this right?

If so
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #234003

Nah, it's the lugenpress. Only believe what infowars and russian government-controlled news websites tell you
Toronto88
Byond Username: Booboobug

Post by Toronto88 » #234041

[youtube]CdMfciMgfCk[/youtube]

Don't lie Wyzack you wouldn't kick anybody in the teeth. I assume everyone here is a White Nationalist, correct?
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #234051

Grazyn wrote:Nah, it's the lugenpress. Only believe what infowars and russian government-controlled news websites tell you
You're right, I should only trust news sources with discount Dragon Ball Z screaming.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #234792

starmute wrote:The problem is people.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #235961

Really makes you hmm
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #236890

A chance to see a christian Constantinople in our lifetime just opened up
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #236891

Grazyn wrote:A chance to see a christian Constantinople in our lifetime just opened up
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #236904

OH FUUUUUUG. What were his motivations? Did he died?
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #236911

TheColdTurtle wrote:OH FUUUUUUG. What were his motivations? Did he died?
Both dead, shooter got lit the fuck up. No video of that though just a distractingly high quality image of his bloody corpse and a wall full of bullet holes.

>What were his motivations
You can hear him scream them just fine.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #236930

Dont waste nuclear arms on turkey, the radiation just makes roaches bigger
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #237320

I don't know where to put this but holy shit

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/745 ... un-Muslims

When do we get truck mounted x-ray cannons in SS13?
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #237323

Jesus. Why can't people like this do something useful.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #237346

Einstein built the atom bomb.
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #237349

This guy is without a doubt working for the military now. Fucking xray guns in an easily conceal able truck? If that gets smaller you can put that shit in a little car and do covert ops against enemies while they don't even know they are being bombarded with lethal radiation. Holy shit the possibilities of this.
XSI

Post by XSI » #237354

It's not exactly something the military hasn't investigated before

Maybe it was 40 years ago, but it is a thing that is technically entirely possible and they know it
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #237355

there was a MARAUDER system that was made in the early nineties that was some sort of highly-energized plasma weapon

needless to say it disappeared into DARPA forever ago and hasn't been heard from since. but it was promising apparently
TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #237357

I wonder if it will show up again now in the military, what with a random kkk member being able to make it in a garage
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #237370

Goofcrafting.webm
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #237395

D&B wrote:Goofcrafting.webm
With special focus on the cancerous part.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #237423

GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOREIGN OFFICERS OPERATING IN SYRIA

[youtube]ZWrbVknEO4A[/youtube]

17:20

what a time to be alive
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #237441

CosmicScientist wrote:I thought cancerous lasers wouldn't be much use for the military? Don't they prefer weapons that kill within the year?
yeah, irradiating someone isn't going to stop them shooting back at you and there are far more portable means of murdering a bunch of people

As a weapon of terror though I guess it has its applications 'cause after the first bunch of people come down with radiation sickness days or weeks after the event (and the ensuing media storm) people would start getting paranoid about the possibility that something could be killing them without them even knowing it, a-la Alexander Litvinenko on a mass scale. Even then I'm pretty sure the military/cloak-and-dagger agencies have better options available.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #237445

Might not be useful to the bread and butter military but highly useful to CIA black ops.

Also I thought Xrays were relatively unharmful, non-ionizing, radiation and only posed a health risk from long term exposure?
Or was this thing dialled up to 11 or modified to fire gamma rays?

Also also, something seems off about the video.
You're telling me that the two guys that built a death ray in their garage aren't going to panic in the slightest when an armed swat team storms the building?
This is either a false flag fake so ZOG can continue importing muslims or its part of Trumps plan to cleanse the mudskins whilst blaming the actions on radical groups like the KKK.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #237466

I think this thing requires quite some exposure time. Plus, it either kills very slowly and with much uncertainty, or gives quite obvious signs of radiation poisoning.
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #237473

>he escaped

???? how did that happen

no one tackled him or shot him or something? did he run with the vehicle, or leave on foot? either way how the fuck did he survive the lynch mob that surely formed(?)

was there a lynch mob? there really should have been a lynch mob.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #237592

are you dreaming of a white power christmas
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med