2k17 /pol/

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: 2k17 /pol/

Post by Luke Cox » #296179

Bottom post of the previous page:

If federal agencies are responsible for the declassification of intelligence, and the President has complete reign over all of the agencies involved in this process, it would stand to reason that the President has the authority to declassify shit whenever they goddamn please
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #296204

I have access to classified information every day.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296209

Oh fuck Crag's with the CIA delete it all
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #296215

Nah I work for the FBI im James comeys replacement
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #296240

lntigracy wrote: >President of the United States, the leader of the free world
>Shares classified information about terrorists with another government through official channels (literally talking to their official) that are working with us in the middle east to wipe out terrorism
>Comparable to someone sharing c+ information with their family / keeping c+ information on an easily accessible private server / literally spying for another government

You're stupid.
Sharing of information is done through agencies not individuals. Anything labeled top secret, secret, confidential or public trust must be vetted before released to another country. It has to go through a strict process typically. They weigh the pros and cons and then make a decision . Its not something done lightly as you can reveal your sources or how you got your information.

Also: If you name call I'm just going to ignore you Intigracy.
Luke Cox wrote:If federal agencies are responsible for the declassification of intelligence, and the President has complete reign over all of the agencies involved in this process, it would stand to reason that the President has the authority to declassify shit whenever they goddamn please
Intelligence agencies, counter intelligence agencies and the military, are apolitical. Even if you have top secret clearance you can't go giving away the troop locations of every American soldier on the ground in Syria. The president and several members of the senate and house intelligence committee are given clearance to the information but it is given in hopes that they can make decisions to help the American public.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #296254

Uhm.

Not to break your bubble here but the president of the US of A is completely entitled to share whatever state secrets he wants. What Trump did wasn't illegal, it was just stupid. He had 0 clue that it was given by a CI and also zero idea that giving it out would endanger said informant. That's the problem here, not that he did not have any right to state what he stated.

He's the Chief of State, the Chief Executive & the Chief Diplomat. He gets to divulge what is a state secret or not.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #296282

starmute wrote: Intelligence agencies, counter intelligence agencies and the military, are apolitical.
Technically.
This is how it's supposed to be, but with both US internal and lots of external shit going on we know politics are involved

CIA backed revolutions/dictatorships being just the most obvious example
starmute

Post by starmute » #296292

ColonicAcid wrote:Uhm.

Not to break your bubble here but the president of the US of A is completely entitled to share whatever state secrets he wants. What Trump did wasn't illegal, it was just stupid. He had 0 clue that it was given by a CI and also zero idea that giving it out would endanger said informant. That's the problem here, not that he did not have any right to state what he stated.

He's the Chief of State, the Chief Executive & the Chief Diplomat. He gets to divulge what is a state secret or not.
Incorrect. Please re-read over the espionage act or cite laws or sources that state otherwise. Even the president has limits of what he can or can't do.

http://legisworks.org/sal/40/stats/STATUTE-40-Pg217.pdf
XSI wrote:
starmute wrote: Intelligence agencies, counter intelligence agencies and the military, are apolitical.
Technically.
This is how it's supposed to be, but with both US internal and lots of external shit going on we know politics are involved

CIA backed revolutions/dictatorships being just the most obvious example
Typically those are to "further American interests". I'm not saying that is right but everyone plays that particular game.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #296295

starmute wrote:Incorrect. Please re-read over the espionage act or cite laws or sources that state otherwise. Even the president has limits of what he can or can't do.

Via Jack Goldsmith (former Bush administration assistant attorney general, Harvard Law professor; did work with Comey, if that matters) here:
The President determines the system of designating classified information through Executive Order, and he is entitled to depart from it at will. Currently, Executive Order 13526 governs national security information.

The Supreme Court has stated in Department of the Navy v. Egan that “[the President’s] authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this Constitutional investment of power in the President and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant.” Because of his broad constitutional authority in this realm, the president can, at any time, either declassify information or decide whom to share it with.
as well as this bit of fun
If the President decided to write the nuclear codes on a sticky note on his desk and then took a photo of it and tweeted it, he would not technically have violated any criminal law–just as he hasn’t here.
none of this changes the fact that it's fucking stupid and/or thoughtless, but it isn't illegal
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #296324

The POTUS can nuke a country and kill billions with the flick of a finger if he pleases, but he has to go through hoops when he wants to divulge classified information? I don't think so
bandit

Post by bandit » #296340

Luke Cox wrote:Meanwhile, his FCC pick has gutted net neutrality regulations, but nobody seems to give a fuck about that. Can't interrupt the autistic Russia screeching.
https://www.google.com/webhp?oq=net+neu ... ty&tbm=nws

what did he mean by this

admin feedback pls
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #296342

bandit wrote:
starmute wrote:Incorrect. Please re-read over the espionage act or cite laws or sources that state otherwise. Even the president has limits of what he can or can't do.

Via Jack Goldsmith (former Bush administration assistant attorney general, Harvard Law professor; did work with Comey, if that matters) here:
The President determines the system of designating classified information through Executive Order, and he is entitled to depart from it at will. Currently, Executive Order 13526 governs national security information.

The Supreme Court has stated in Department of the Navy v. Egan that “[the President’s] authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this Constitutional investment of power in the President and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant.” Because of his broad constitutional authority in this realm, the president can, at any time, either declassify information or decide whom to share it with.
If the President decided to write the nuclear codes on a sticky note on his desk and then took a photo of it and tweeted it, he would not technically have violated any criminal law–just as he hasn’t here.
none of this changes the fact that it's fucking stupid and/or thoughtless, but it isn't illegal
From EO 13526
(2) Classified information originating in one agency may be disseminated by any other agency to which it has been made available to a foreign government in accordance with statute, this order, directives implementing this order, direction of the President, or with the consent of the originating agency. For the purposes of this section, ‘‘foreign government’’ includes any element of a foreign government, or an international organization of governments, or any element thereof.
Last edited by lntigracy on Fri May 19, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
starmute

Post by starmute » #296394

bandit wrote:

Regarding

lawfareblog.com/bombshell-initial-thoughts-washington-posts-game-changing-story

I actually enjoyed the article and it was well written. The one thing he does "take too far" is reading too much into Navy v. Egan. Navy v Egan talks about the presidents power to classify information, not about the ability to declassify information.

Additionally I'm reading executive order 13526 but I don't see the area where it talks about the president. I will concede though its a pretty hefty document and I might be overlooking it.
https://www.ise.gov/sites/default/files/EO13526.pdf (if you want to read it too)

What you omitted was the person who wrote the article made and advolcated for a case of impeachment vs trump

"Questions of criminality aside, we turn to the far more significant issues: If the President gave this information away through carelessness or neglect, he has arguably breached his oath of office. As Quinta and Ben have elaborated on in some detail, in taking the oath President Trump swore to “faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States” and to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States” to the best of his ability. It’s very hard to argue that carelessly giving away highly sensitive material to an adversary foreign power constitutes a faithful execution of the office of President."

completing your "bit of fun"

If the President decided to write the nuclear codes on a sticky note on his desk and then took a photo of it and tweeted it, he would not technically have violated any criminal law–just as he hasn’t here. He has the constitutional authority to dictate that the safeguarding of nuclear materials shall be done through sticky notes in plain sight and tweeted, even the authority to declassify the codes outright. Yet, we would all understand this degree of negligence to be a gross violation of his oath of office.

Basically his argument is "This is severe and ground for impeachment".

Mine is "I don't know what happened but I'm pretty sure this is covered in criminal law". I might be wrong but frankly I've gotten the "don't talk to me about classified information" by family members for so long that it comes second hand.
lntigracy wrote: From EO 13536
(2) Classified information originating in one agency may be disseminated by any other agency to which it has been made available to a foreign government in accordance with statute, this order, directives implementing this order, direction of the President, or with the consent of the originating agency. For the purposes of this section, ‘‘foreign government’’ includes any element of a foreign government, or an international organization of governments, or any element thereof.
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-cente ... /13536.pdf

EO 13536 was sanctions on people contributing to the conflict in Somalia. You're probably looking for 26. 13526. That wording you just game me is not in EO 13526 that I can see.

https://www.ise.gov/sites/default/files/EO13526.pdf
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #296401

Page 721, (2)

I did mean 26
you are mom is gay
starmute

Post by starmute » #296403

lntigracy wrote:Page 721, (2)

I did mean 26
I see that. Good find it wasn't picking up the parenthesis. However it does talk about the agency distributing the information (under the directions of the president). Not the president distributing the information themselves. That being said the wording is vauge enough that either of us could be right.

" Classified information originating in one agency may be disseminated by any other agency to which it has been made available to a foreign government in accordance with statute,"

Probably means any classified information originating from a intelligence agency.

"directives implementing this order, direction of the President"

For me would involve a direct order from the President to a agency. However I can see how it could be interpreted as "the president can do whatever they want with the information". However this does come into conflict with the oath of office.
XSI

Post by XSI » #296434

So from what I'm seeing here

The president has the power to decide to unclassify and give out information at will
And the president also does not have this power because he also has to go through the agencies

Hooray laws
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296435

And unless Trump released classified information with malicious intent or gross negligence, the oath of office bit doesn't apply either
starmute

Post by starmute » #296451

Luke Cox wrote:And unless Trump released classified information with malicious intent or gross negligence, the oath of office bit doesn't apply either
Giving intelligence about (well we don't really know what he gave since its classified) to Russia seems like gross negligence. Considering they have been our rivals and we both point nuclear weapons at each other. Well unless we can prove otherwise. From the post article it made him out to be boasting to the Russians.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #296458

starmute wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:And unless Trump released classified information with malicious intent or gross negligence, the oath of office bit doesn't apply either
Giving intelligence about (well we don't really know what he gave since its classified) to Russia seems like gross negligence. Considering they have been our rivals and we both point nuclear weapons at each other. Well unless we can prove otherwise. From the post article it made him out to be boasting to the Russians.
They were our rivals /in the past/. They totally exhausted themselves after the Cold War and fell apart, the most important thing they're doing right now is helping us fight ISIS, which we're obviously in favor of. The info Trump shared was allegedly concerning counterterrorism, so there was pretty obviously not some malevolent purpose to be found.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
starmute

Post by starmute » #296462

ShadowDimentio wrote:
starmute wrote:
They were our rivals /in the past/. They totally exhausted themselves after the Cold War and fell apart, the most important thing they're doing right now is helping us fight ISIS, which we're obviously in favor of. The info Trump shared was allegedly concerning counterterrorism, so there was pretty obviously not some malevolent purpose to be found.
I'm pretty sure they are our rivals now. Perhaps the only time when we weren't was when Yelsin drank himself to death, additionally the US and Russia have different views on Syria and Bashar al-Assad considering we just ran a series of airstrikes on them so we're in conflicting spheres of interest to say the least.

The argument isn't that Trump was malevolent with classified information. It was that it was gross negligence. Like if you go to a workplace and cause the BP oil spill but did it because you didn't follow proper safety precautions versus malevolent reasons of creating the BP oil spill if you were some oil based super villain (I'm looking at you "the fracker"). The result however is the same, the Russians can potentially figure out how we got the intelligence, what our sources are and the method we gathered the information based on the information given to them, needless to say this can cause harm to national security.

That and the addition that what he did might not be legal causes issues. Not to mention he did this right after firing the director of the FBI..... yeah we're in for a wild ride this summer/early fall.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296469

Not really. It was a coordinated counter terrorism operation with Russia.
starmute

Post by starmute » #296470

Luke Cox wrote:Not really. It was a coordinated counter terrorism operation with Russia.
Honk honk
no we're not buddy buddy about that.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/worl ... onvoy.html

Nor do we know what EXACTLY what was said other than it involved us talking about potential exploits ISIS can use against our airplanes.
(Exploits that now russia knows about as well)
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296480

How much Russia actually like us is irrelevant
starmute

Post by starmute » #296481

Luke Cox wrote:How much Russia actually like us is irrelevant
The problem is by all accounts it wasn't us "sharing information" which is done through official channels (through agencies). It was done by the president just blurting it out there like the clown with tourette's.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296484

Again, the question here isn't whether he should, it's whether he can. Legally, he can do whatever he pleases with it. Unless he acted with malice or gross ignorance, he has done nothing unlawful. It was a counter-terror operation, and the scope of the information shared was fairly limited and presumably premeditated. Working with Russia on counter-terror operations was even one of his bigger foreign policy campaign points.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #296487

starmute wrote:
The problem is by all accounts it wasn't us "sharing information" which is done through official channels (through agencies). It was done by the president just blurting it out there like the clown with tourette's.
So? He's totally allowed to do it, and hell I'd say getting along well and sharing some info with Russia on this would be a solid step forwards in patching up relations with them and beating ISIS faster.

If Trump wants to play diplomat and isn't doing a bad job at it I say more power to him.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
starmute

Post by starmute » #296493

ShadowDimentio wrote:
starmute wrote:
So? He's totally allowed to do it, and hell I'd say getting along well and sharing some info with Russia on this would be a solid step forwards in patching up relations with them and beating ISIS faster.

If Trump wants to play diplomat and isn't doing a bad job at it I say more power to him.
Except its not written into law that he is allowed to do this (it isn't even implied). Its a basic "no mans land" where nobody has ever considered a president would be so foolish as to reveal national secrets to a country where the consequences could kill armed service members, intelligence agents and their sources.

There is a way where agencies share information and usually its done through different channels.

However I think I'm barking up the wrong tree here in trying to convince you as I don't think you are willing to entertain the thought that trump might be in the wrong here. Were anyone else but the president of the united states have done this they would be fired or charged with treason. I mean if you can't understand that its a big deal then I don't know what to tell you other than get some perspective.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #296500

The "anyone else would be in big trouble" argument rings extremely empty when we're talking about the president here, the big boss of the goverment and intelligence agencies. Explicitly allowed or not, he did it and it's fine.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
starmute

Post by starmute » #296501

ShadowDimentio wrote:The "anyone else would be in big trouble" argument rings extremely empty when we're talking about the president here, the big boss of the goverment and intelligence agencies. Explicitly allowed or not, he did it and it's fine.
Saying "and its fine" doesn't allow him to do that. We're literally talking about the espionage act. At the very best its gross negligence. At the very worst he's committed a criminal act.
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #296502

It's not like he held a press conference and was like "isis, we're gonna bomb them. We're gonna bomb them the best. We're gonna be the best at bombing. That issue where [insert shared information here] isn't gonna be a problem. Nobody can bomb like us."

He went behind closed doors with a Russian diplomat and decided to share what he believed was pertinent in the fight against ISIS, and ended up just sharing something they already knew.

The fact that he's one of the explicitly mentioned people able to make something clarified, secret or top secret leads me to believe that when necessary he can share that information by not considering it enough of an issue to hide from someone helping us in the middle east.

This has nothing to do with who the president is, I actually hold a form of clearance and believe wholeheartedly that the president should be able to use judgement to share information, regardless of who that may be.
you are mom is gay
bandit

Post by bandit » #296503

maybe this will make more sense via spessmens analogy

Urist McEagle and Urist McRed are suspected of metacomms. There is no actual proof that Urist McEagle and Urist McRed are metacommunicating, however, an admin believes there is enough evidence to put them both on a watchlist. Urist McEagle posts an unrelated admin complaint against the guy who put them on the watchlist and successfully gets him deadminned. When asked whether it's a coincidence he posts "now I'm not being investigated for metacomms anymore, that's why I made the complaint."

In the next round Urist McEagle is the warden and Urist McRed is an assistant, or a regular sec officer, or something. Urist McEagle gives Urist McRed a bunch of guns and shit from the armory. Nothing in the rules says that the warden isn't allowed to do what he wants with the contents of the armory, after all, it is his armory. Maybe Urist McRed might just use them to go validhunt all the traitors! But it looks really bad in context.

admin feedback pls
starmute

Post by starmute » #296504

lntigracy wrote:It's not like he held a press conference and was like "isis, we're gonna bomb them. We're gonna bomb them the best. We're gonna be the best at bombing. That issue where [insert shared information here] isn't gonna be a problem. Nobody can bomb like us."

He went behind closed doors with a Russian diplomat and decided to share what he believed was pertinent in the fight against ISIS, and ended up just sharing something they already knew.

The fact that he's one of the explicitly mentioned people able to make something clarified, secret or top secret leads me to believe that when necessary he can share that information by not considering it enough of an issue to hide from someone helping us in the middle east.

This has nothing to do with who the president is, I actually hold a form of clearance and believe wholeheartedly that the president should be able to use judgement to share information, regardless of who that may be.
Out of curiosity does this have to do with the national guard? I just remember talking to you a few years ago about the national guard.

Regarding the post
Russia isn't helping us and hasn't been our ally since... well world war 2 (and that's debatable as well). They are helping Syria's government, and while its a nice belief that Russia could be our ally we typically don't share information with our allies without vetting and going over the information before submitting it.

As far as "well I think that"; that's just a opinion. I believe that government officials should require mandatory civil/military service time for all government officials but that's just my opinion. The law is the law and despite my hopes and opinions, candidates for office rarely have any experience in having to deal with the branches they have to overlook (such as the intel community, forest service, army and navy.)
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296507

Don't really see how either is applicable here. It doesn't matter if you think it was a good idea or not. It was legal, and it was not malicious or grossly negligent. Sharing intel involving a joint counter-terrorism operation is not grossly negligent.

Edit: Was looking at the last page by mistake
starmute

Post by starmute » #296508

Luke Cox wrote:Don't really see how either is applicable here. It doesn't matter if you think it was a good idea or not. It was legal, and it was not malicious or grossly negligent. Sharing intel involving a joint counter-terrorism operation is not grossly negligent.

Edit: Was looking at the last page by mistake
There is no joint counter-terrorism operation. Literally Russia and the United States are sending money and arms to two different groups trying to take over Syria.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296509

You are aware of what the actual intel was, right? It involved an ISIS plan to manufacture IEDs out of laptops.
starmute

Post by starmute » #296511

Luke Cox wrote:You are aware of what the actual intel was, right? It involved an ISIS plan to manufacture IEDs out of laptops.
That was "part" of the information involved. It also involved how the United States would counter it, the person embedded with ISIS ect. Additionally we don't know all the information.

You and I will NEVER know all of what the actual intel is. However if it has a classification as "secret" it literally means according to the state department that it would endanger national security if it was let out.

"--A document will be classified and marked "Secret" only when the information it contains is of such nature that its disclosure might endanger the national security, or cause serious injury to the interests or prestige of the Nation, an individual, or any governmental activity, or be of great advantage to a foreign nation."

AR 320-5
ANNEX N
4-9
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296515

The state department can be pretty over-zealous when it comes to classifying things as "secret." If you've learned anything from the past 15 years or so it should be that the government has an insanely liberal definition of what constitutes "national security." I've heard conflicting things about the source itself, specifically that it was not revealed. From the sounds of it, Trump and the Russian ambassadors were discussing a planned terror attack from ISIS and how to prevent it. Literally the most benign shit I can imagine.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #296564

Does anyone seriously believe anything is gonna come out of this? Or is it just a meme like "here's how Sanders can still win"? The media have been blowing shit out of proportion (on both sides) since the campaign, Trump could literally go on a shooting spree in Times Square right now with live coverage and people would still say "Oh there's the media overreacting again"
XSI

Post by XSI » #296567

Pretty much that

They cried wolf so hard and often that nobody is going to believe them on it if there actually is a wolf now
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #296578

A more apt comparison would be scared of shadows spawning himself a gyroget gun
starmute

Post by starmute » #296587

CosmicScientist wrote:>Captain could go on a shooting spree and no-one would care
I'm pretty sure he'd be shot by the local sec officers or pneumatic cannon packing assistants? Or does he own the souls and minds of gun non-antag gear owners who will be willing to lay down before the Captain's dual wielded L6 SAWs?
Its more like a head admin who makes himself a immortal ash drake and calls it a "event" while he slaughters the crew.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #296615

>someone disengages from pol thread last time after being btfo and says to continue discussing over pm's if anyone wants to
>comes back for some reason

on a slightly related note, why do we tolerate politics discussion? I know of a national and incredibly vast web forum that bans politics discussion and is none the worse for it. In fact, it's been successful for years. More to the point, a lot of politics nowadays is intentional radicalization and polarization, part of divide and conquer, which is nothing an internet community needs.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #296621

And who's doing the divide and conquering?
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #296628

imblyings wrote:why do we tolerate politics discussion? I know of a national and incredibly vast web forum that bans politics discussion and is none the worse for it. In fact, it's been successful for years.
Waah stop discussing things I don't like

Which forum?
you are mom is gay
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #296639

thanks for being the one to reply with the 'don't discuss things i don't like' post, inti, someone had to. It's an australian one, and incredibly useful for things from pizza vouchers to advice on cars, though I never post there. It's essentially a worksafe 4chan for when I want to mindlessly read things but don't want to go on 4chan on public wifi or whatever

>who's doing the divide and conquering
anyone who stands to gain from it
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #296653

You could always just not open the thread if you don't want to read political discussion
you are mom is gay
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #296688

Sometimes I wonder if Starmute is actually a person at all. Maybe it's just an imperfect AI, parroting everything it's heard from CNN.
Bring back papercult.

XSI

Post by XSI » #296691

imblyings wrote: on a slightly related note, why do we tolerate politics discussion?
SS13 as a whole becomes political anyway. Better to have it in a single thread than to shit up the entire forum with it
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #296694

InsaneHyena wrote:Sometimes I wonder if Starmute is actually a person at all. Maybe it's just an imperfect AI, parroting everything it's heard from CNN.
lmao dont give me that shit boy

i can tell that the usual suspects get their news from fox & friends.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #296725

"Usual suspects" being "everyone I disagree with"

Except maybe Shadow
ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #296727

no usual suspects because they say stupid shit regardless of what they're talking about