Child-Resistant Safety Items

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Child-Resistant Safety Items

Post by Pandarsenic » #633659

Allow R&D to research child-resistant safety items that are unusable to Assistants but are usable to anyone else.

Firing Pins that allow anyone but Assistants to fire them

Pill Bottles or entire boxes that Assistants can't open

Syringes that Assistants can't inject or draw with

Light Bulbs that assistants can't damage or remove

Etc.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Child-Resistant Safety Items

Post by Farquaar » #633660

This but for felinids too
► Show Spoiler
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #633675

Im suprised monkies aren't on the immediate list.

Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #633759

you know if it becomes untenable to play assistant i'm just picking station engineer and doing absolutely fucking nothing all shift
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #633811

cacogen wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:00 pm you know if it becomes untenable to play assistant i'm just picking station engineer and doing absolutely fucking nothing all shift
these kinds of ideas/content just lead to this

i realize the thread was a joke, but you'll just turn other jobs into the same shit in a different toilet
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633873

Given that they would be researchable, never (ideally) showing up at round start, you would only see them as a defense against looting/revolutions mainly. Besides, the assistant can ask any other job to open the bottle or they can replace the firing pin if they can get into security, right?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #634024

I just don’t like the anti-assistant mentality that seems to have become more popular recently because I think it unfairly generalises all assistant players as griefers, threatens to remove what’s fun about the role to make it less desirable to play and is ultimately misguided because people will just end up taking jobs they have no intention of doing when they want to play but want a break from effort/responsibilities after previous stressful rounds. I get this isn’t the thread to discuss it but that’s where my previous post was coming from.

Also from a design standpoint I think it’d make more sense for it to be a child lock that you apply to an item. It’d add a component to the item that would prevent the melee attack chain being called (or interrupt it) when it was clicked with by assistants.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #634025

cacogen wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:13 am I just don’t like the anti-assistant mentality that seems to have become more popular recently because I think it unfairly generalises all assistant players as griefers, threatens to remove what’s fun about the role to make it less desirable to play and is ultimately misguided because people will just end up taking jobs they have no intention of doing when they want to play but want a break from effort/responsibilities after previous stressful rounds. I get this isn’t the thread to discuss it but that’s where my previous post was coming from.

Also from a design standpoint I think it’d make more sense for it to be a child lock that you apply to an item. It’d add a component to the item that would prevent the melee attack chain being called (or interrupt it) when it was clicked with by assistants.
Tbh most of my anti-assistant takes are just taking the piss. I actually think greytiding is an important part of the game that really gives it a lot of character (as well as busywork for security to do).

Tiding is definitely not as prevalent as it was back in 2018 when I started playing. Back then, you could easily expect to get stunned and robbed as a head of staff just walking down the halls. That was pretty annoying ngl
► Show Spoiler
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #634063

Farquaar wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:20 am Tiding is definitely not as prevalent as it was back in 2018 when I started playing. Back then, you could easily expect to get stunned and robbed as a head of staff just walking down the halls. That was pretty annoying ngl
It was character building, but there is a line between clowning to humiliate infront of everybody by stealing x-y-z off someone important and seeking to wreak indiscriminate frustration stationwide for their own amusement (many a clown was felled this way). Emily Ranger for instance, very notorious assistant, i used to blow her kneecaps open when i saw her in a clownery exchange with my detective pre-nerfed hand-cannon before she could apprehend anything from me to look silly chasing her for it in which greytiders often gave up the item they were being chased for at the end (or antagonistic intent). Ah a different time entirely.

The people who ran around high speed in boxes committing crimes in latter 2019 is a natural evolution of this, but took things too far, applying every means of chemical intake, disruptive strategy, and evasiveness to push its to its limits and forgot the values it was about.

Spoiler:
The_Silver_Nuke
Byond Username: The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #634316

cacogen wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:00 pm you know if it becomes untenable to play assistant i'm just picking station engineer and doing absolutely fucking nothing all shift
cringe