JupiterJaeden
Byond Username: JupiterJaeden

[phuzzylodgik] jupiterjaeden - I am not cynder's ban-evasion alt

Post by JupiterJaeden » #654779

BYOND account: jupiterjaeden
Character name: Jeff McGaeming
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Ban-evading alt of cynderthehuman/monster860/taxiko.
Time ban was placed: 2022-09-27 12:13:38
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed: 191272
Your side of the story: Okay, this is going to be kind of a long story. I have a fairly good idea how this happened, and I really hope we can get it resolved because I am a tg main and I do not want to be perma-banned on here.

To start, I should make one thing clear: You are dealing with FOUR separate people here. Me, cynderthehuman, monster860, and taxiko are literally all different individuals. Taxiko especially is a new player who does not deserve to have to deal with this. Let me explain.

So I first started playing SS13 months ago, can't remember exactly when, but not long after I started playing I met cynder. This should be your first clue that I am not a ban-evasion alt, the fact that me and cynder literally played games together. I happened to record the first round I met cynder, the round ID was: 169360. Her in-game name was Vvolfe Vulpes, mine was Jeff McGaeming. This was obviously before she was banned. I can literally upload that screen recording if necessary, but I think the fact that we played together before she was banned is enough evidence by itself???

Anyways, on to how I think this happened. On september 13th, I left for a roadtrip traveling around america irl. I just recently got back. I did not bring my laptop with me. On that trip, I visited monster860 and taxiko in real life. Taxiko first. While I was staying with him, I introduced him to the game and had him create an account: taxiko. I also played some SS13 on his computer. At this point, there was no issue because we were obviously not connected to cynder in any way.

Next I visited monster860 irl. Now, monster860 is a yogstation staff member, and I'm going to send them the link to this forum post so they can hopefully comment and explain further. You can ask the yogstation admin team and they will confirm that monster860 is not cynderthehuman. While there I played some SS13 from monster's computer (on my account). Now, I don't really know the details of this one (hopefully monster can explain better?) but monster played a "prank on yogs staff" that somehow ended up getting her computer flagged as cynder. In her words: "I edited the connection log on my computer as a prank and put an obviously ridiculous CID/IP pair as well". Again, I don't know the details of this but the reason I know about it at all is because when I tried to play yogstation from monster's computer (on my account) I was banned for being a cynder alt! Now because monster860 is a yogstation staff member she obviously immediately unbanned me and put a note that I am not, in fact, cynder.

But while I was there I also played some tgstation (on my account) from her computer and I suspect that is where this is coming from. That computer appears to be cynder's computer which is getting monster and me banned, and then because I played on taxiko's computer earlier now he is getting banned as well. But, my right hand to god, none of us are cynder.

I guarantee you all of the relevant timestamps (account creation, log-ins, etc.) here will line up with this story. Please, un-ban me, monster860, and taxiko. None of these accounts are cynder's alts.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I am not cynderthehuman, nor am I monster860 or taxiko (who as stated before are also not cynderthehuman)
References of good conduct: monster860 is a yogstation staff member. The yogstation admin team can confirm she is not cynder, and she can confirm me and taxiko are not cynder. In addition, as stated before me and cynder literally played games together before she was banned, further demonstrating that I am not her alt.
Part of this appeal was generated by Banbus 0.14.0
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: [phuzzylodgik] jupiterjaeden - I am not cynder's ban-evasion alt

Post by Timberpoes » #654832

Thanks for your reply monster.

I've soft deleted it because it went into a bit too much detail about how some of our ban systems work.

Not that these are secret details since anyone that can read code can dive it. Still, better not to put ideas in people's heads.

However, admins can all still read soft deleted posts and it can be undeleted later if the contents are deemed okay by others up the chain.

It is a very relevant post that should still be read by any admins handling or investigating this appeal.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #655002

This is just stupid enough to be entirely plausible.

Monster860, taxiko and jupiterjaeden have all been unbanned.

Many thanks to monster860 for chiming in and connecting the remaining dots.

That being said, this incident should stand as a useful reminder as to why playing these kinds of "pranks" can lead to unintended consequences.

Welcome back.
JupiterJaeden
Byond Username: JupiterJaeden

Post by JupiterJaeden » #655006

Reality is often stranger than fiction. Thanks for unbanning us.