[WalterMeldron] Typhnox - Executing Rioters who assault members of command is not allowed, apparently

Appeals which have been closed.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

[WalterMeldron] Typhnox - Executing Rioters who assault members of command is not allowed, apparently

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #660404

BYOND account: Typhnox
Character name: Imitates-The-Lizards
Ban type: Note
Ban length: It's a note, so permanent, I guess

Note reason: Executed an who was already cuffed assistant for interrupting an arrest, stunbatonning and yelling over a radio on a greenshift. Round removal is too extreme of a punishment for this sort of thing, especially if they were already in custody. In the future, reserve executions for people who are either acting like an antagonist or are actually one, otherwise use alternative methods please.

Time note was placed: 2022-12-28 20:05:08
Round ID in which ban was placed: 197189

Your side of the story: I left security on kilo, and saw an assistant breaking in to Tech Storage. Moved in for the arrest for breaking and entering, and another assistant interfered. Retreated to the Brig, and set them both to arrest, the first assistant for b and e and resisting arrest, the second for obstruction of justice and theft (he stole my handcuffs). Passed on this info to my subordinate security officer, Anth, who went to go arrest them. I followed them out of security briefly afterwards, and found them arresting one of the assistants in question near the janitor's closet. This event swiftly turned into a 3v3 free for all, with Me, Anth the secoff, and the captain, facing off against the assistant who we were trying to arrest, the chaplain, and Felix the atmos tech. In the scuffle, I managed to stun felix and dragged them to the bridge for a new pair of cuffs, and cuffed them in there, and then dragged them to the Brig. Along the way, Felix was repeatedly screaming "Riot!" "Riot!". I eventually managed to get him back in to the security locker room. Just before I could begin discussing his charges and his case with him, an engiborg came in, presumably under mistaken impression that Felix was being harmed. Felix told the borg to "get" the moth (referring to Anth, my security officer, who I obviously want to protect), and then he ordered the engiborg to free him, meaning he gave the engiborg an order to perform yet another obstruction of justice. The borg complied and unleashed beepsky on the security team, stunning me, and I think Anth, but im not sure about that. I got away from the scuffle, got the ion rifle out of the armory, and killed the securitron and the engiborg, and executed Felix for the combination of all of his crimes, which at this point were 2 counts of obstruction of justice (he obstructed our initial arrest of the assistant, and he ordered the engiborg to obstruct me. The engiborg cannot refuse the order, so the charge falls on him), one count of assault (he did in fact stun me with a stun baton in the hallways). and at least one count of inciting a riot, but arguably more, depending on how you look at his many calls for a riot.

Why you think you should be un-noted: Felix was functionally indistinguishable from an antagonist or a revolutionary, considering his multiple calls for a riot, and the fact he actually did in fact assault me, a head of staff. There is no good reason to say I should not have executed him, especially when you consider my multiple attempts to nonlethally arrest people had all been interrupted by this point, and it was clear that lethals were the only reasonable option, considering nonlethal methods were interrupted over and over, and had clearly been shown to not be effective at that time, EVEN WITHIN THE BRIG AND WHILE HE WAS CUFFED, AS I STILL GOT INTERRUPTED YET AGAIN. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." It is not reasonable to say I should have stuck to alternative methods when I just got done being interrupted when I used non lethal methods 3 times consecutively, one of which happened inside the Brig.

References of good conduct: N/A this is for a note
Anything else we should know: I approve the ticket being released publically.
Waltermeldron
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: WalterMeldron

Re: [WalterMeldron] Typhnox - Executing Rioters who assault members of command is not allowed, apparently

Post by Waltermeldron » #660406

After discussing this with other admins, I'll be lifting the note.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: [WalterMeldron] Typhnox - Executing Rioters who assault members of command is not allowed, apparently

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #660418

Waltermeldron wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:49 pm After discussing this with other admins, I'll be lifting the note.
Great, thank you, appreciate it.