I can see maintenance via camera consoles. That means AI used x-ray and is malf!

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

I can see maintenance via camera consoles. That means AI used x-ray and is malf!

Post by Turbonerd » #669313

My God. I had a cringe round on Terry. Near round start, some shitters call out "AI malf" on comms the moment they notice they can see maintenance with camera consoles.

They point out x-ray like they're playing Among Us. They're so fucking excited that they found a pattern to recognise an antagonist and immediately call it out, with zero attempt at roleplay. This is literal metagaming using metaknowledge, and it's disgusting.

I am very disappointed in Terry. What a boring round. "AI malf" and stuff related to that was the ONLY thing said and talked about in comms for the entire round. "Oooh x-ray cameras, AI bought the x-ray teehee I found the antag'nn'nn"" dhrvdvdjdvhhsvjczabrbjWjvsbwvxhsvwhgvshebdivgdhsywvvzvSdhqud
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Re: I can see maintenance via camera consoles. That means AI used x-ray and is malf!

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #669314

TRUE, this is why i have malf ai turned off.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Re: I can see maintenance via camera consoles. That means AI used x-ray and is malf!

Post by vect0r » #669340

When I am AI I upgrade all the cameras with gas analyzers. It gives cams X-ray, and it’s fun when somebody calls me malf.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #669359

vect0r wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:53 am When I am AI I upgrade all the cameras with gas analyzers. It gives cams X-ray, and it’s fun when somebody calls me malf.
Something new to do as engineer, then ahelp when someone says AI malf.
ekaterina
Byond Username: Ekaterina von Russland

Post by ekaterina » #669372

chocolate_bickie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:38 am
vect0r wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:53 am When I am AI I upgrade all the cameras with gas analyzers. It gives cams X-ray, and it’s fun when somebody calls me malf.
Banbaiting - the cool new way to get banned!
Turbonerd wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:46 amThey're so fucking excited that they found a pattern to recognise an antagonist and immediately call it out, with zero attempt at roleplay. This is literal metagaming using metaknowledge, and it's disgusting.
Be careful what you wish for. We don't want tgstation to turn into bee - if you do, you're better off going there instead of ruining the experience here for everyone else.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #669446

ekaterina wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:48 am
That's not banbaiting. That is upgrading cameras.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #669519

Turbonerd wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:46 amThey're so fucking excited that they found a pattern to recognise an antagonist and immediately call it out, with zero attempt at roleplay. This is literal metagaming using metaknowledge, and it's disgusting.
Be careful what you wish for. We don't want tgstation to turn into bee - if you do, you're better off going there instead of ruining the experience here for everyone else.
Your opinion on what tgstation is supposed to be is worth less than nothing, I hope you stub your toe and step on a lego tongiht.
AlamoTurtle
Byond Username: Alamo Turtle

Post by AlamoTurtle » #669521

oranges wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:31 pm
Your opinion on what tgstation is supposed to be is worth less than nothing, I hope you stub your toe and step on a lego tongiht.
Savage as hell, but you're right. Playing this game like TTT makes it suck, and malf AI, no, any antag, being immediately valid because of some small inconsistency is kinda sad and what makes rounds so boring.
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #669527

oranges wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:31 pm
As opposed to the opinion of someone who doesn't even play the game?
I'd tell you to wander into science maintenance alone but that would require you to have BYOND installed.
AlamoTurtle wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:41 pm Playing this game like TTT makes it suck, and malf AI, no, any antag, being immediately valid because of some small inconsistency is kinda sad and what makes rounds so boring.
I see this as a code issue, if an issue at all. Expecting players to ignore information they got in the round (not, for example, in metacomms or as ghosts) is dumb. The solution is to make the player just not be able to see this AI power. Either that or for the AI to git gud and not use powers that give it away while being stealthy.
I have a confirmed grand total of 1 merged PR. That basically means I'm a c*der now. 8-)
toemas wrote: ekaterina is really funny because they just consistently say what should be complete common sense (...) and then they get dogpiled by everyone in the thread
kinnebian wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:51 am i agree with ekaterina but in a less aggressive manner
sinfulbliss wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:03 am Marina is actually a very high quality roleplayer, believe it or not, and a pretty fun and good-faith player in my experience.
warbluke wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:03 am Suboptimal research play detected, deploying lethal force.
Timberpoes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:50 am No deviations allowed. All must know the meta. All must power the game.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #669536

You know what's funny? You can see maint if you go to a camera and have a line of sight from the camera to maint that gets blocked, by something like a door (the vision doesn't get updated)
Only works on camera consoles

Or I'm just too old and this bug got fixed
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #669713

Would be good if something could be done about this, can only think of a few options really though

1) Remove the malf upgrade to cameras entirely
2) Add some fluff text to the upgrade, or to the antag roll, cautioning against this particular upgrade
3) Make cameras that see through walls a regular station (midround) event to mask when the AI does this (kinda weird from an IC perspective).
4) Make the vision upgrade only visible to the AI (I'm assuming there's some extra technical complexity to this).

As it stands though, the upgrade does largely just serve as a new malf player trap, and while the game has its fair share of "oh you died, but you learned something in the process", having your own antag toolbox turn against you and out you early in the round isn't much good for the AI player, the round, or to watch as an observer. Be nice if something could change here to divert from this outcome.
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #669759

the people who cry for roleplay on here dont actually want to or like doing it, their idea of a fun round is spending an hour gossiping with their admin moth metafriends in the vacant office. by "roleplay" they mean playing the game like VRchat and aimlessly walking around talking to people and being nice and wholesome to eachother and stuff

The only way to actually enjoy /tg/station is at the expense of everyone else on the server, you guys need to understand this
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #669763

You must be fun at parties.
CoffeeDragon16
Byond Username: CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #669816

ekaterina wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:54 pm
oranges wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:31 pm Your opinion on what tgstation is supposed to be is worth less than nothing, I hope you stub your toe and step on a lego tonight.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[
toemas

Post by toemas » #669817

CoffeeDragon16 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:14 pm Image
lol thats not his ckey... embarrassing!
CoffeeDragon16
Byond Username: CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #669819

toemas wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:19 pm
oh my god this entire time i thought they were paxil. embarassing
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #669820

Ouch
Hugs
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #669822

I love playing sili and 5 minutes into the round i get randomly flashed and permanently round removed because my ai bought camera upgrades and then I have to explain to the ai what a massive noob bait they fell for.

This has been in the game for so long i dont care if its an oversight or not, its become an actual META that you have to play around and if you dont you and several other silicon players will be round removed without knowing what happened.

Whats worse is when the malf ai player doesnt actually learn why they got caught, Ive been wanting to make a pr that red texts the camera upgrade and a warning that says "might reveal your condition" because of how often people fall for this noob bait.

Believe it or not, not everyone knows about stuff like this and knowledge to stuff like this is one of the many things gatekeeping newer players from avoiding being outright pwn`d by older players. If you know it, older players wont pwn you, if you dont know it, youre probably gonna get robusted and im fucking sick of shit like this.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
ekaterina

Post by ekaterina » #669823

toemas wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:19 pm
I was wondering why he was showing me some random guy's recent rounds... lmao what a fail
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #669830

CoffeeDragon16 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:14 pm
ekaterina wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:54 pm
oranges wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:31 pm Your opinion on what tgstation is supposed to be is worth less than nothing, I hope you stub your toe and step on a lego tonight.
It says his fucking username under his profile picture you dummy.
AlamoTurtle
Byond Username: Alamo Turtle

Post by AlamoTurtle » #669845

toemas wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:45 pm the people who cry for roleplay on here dont actually want to or like doing it, their idea of a fun round is spending an hour gossiping with their admin moth metafriends in the vacant office. by "roleplay" they mean playing the game like VRchat and aimlessly walking around talking to people and being nice and wholesome to eachother and stuff

The only way to actually enjoy /tg/station is at the expense of everyone else on the server, you guys need to understand this
Just round-remove all antags then complain that it's gotten boring. Surely, this is the peak of SS13, where you have to enjoy TGstation at the expense of everyone, including yourself, because the valids must be stopped. Sound logic, pal. Unfortunately, not everyone shares this view as you do, so frankly, you're wrong. Some people might enjoy your washed-down witch hunt gaming, but there are many more who do not.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #669852

AlamoTurtle wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:04 pm
toemas wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:45 pm the people who cry for roleplay on here dont actually want to or like doing it, their idea of a fun round is spending an hour gossiping with their admin moth metafriends in the vacant office. by "roleplay" they mean playing the game like VRchat and aimlessly walking around talking to people and being nice and wholesome to eachother and stuff

Just round-remove all antags then complain that it's gotten boring. Surely, this is the peak of SS13, where you have to enjoy TGstation at the expense of everyone, including yourself, because the valids must be stopped. Sound logic, pal. Unfortunately, not everyone shares this view as you do, so frankly, you're wrong. Some people might enjoy your washed-down witch hunt gaming, but there are many more who do not.
Tomas got discord banned and is now posting all of his shit takes here instead
respect (let him do his thing)
toemas

Post by toemas » #669856

AlamoTurtle wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:04 pm Just round-remove all antags then complain that it's gotten boring. Surely, this is the peak of SS13, where you have to enjoy TGstation at the expense of everyone, including yourself, because the valids must be stopped. Sound logic, pal.
what else would i do?
toemas

Post by toemas » #669857

kinnebian wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:59 pm Tomas got discord banned and is now posting all of his shit takes here instead
someone needs to enlighten the masses
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #669876

iain0 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:57 am 4) Make the vision upgrade only visible to the AI (I'm assuming there's some extra technical complexity to this).
I took a look at the code and I wonder if this is something that should be hard forked based on how it's being accessed. Imagine that the camera console can never see the X-ray version, whereas the AI sight can. Would make sense if the AI can process that data vs the camera console can't display it to the viewer or something.
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #669950

Ziiro wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:45 am
iain0 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:57 am 4) Make the vision upgrade only visible to the AI (I'm assuming there's some extra technical complexity to this).
I took a look at the code and I wonder if this is something that should be hard forked based on how it's being accessed. Imagine that the camera console can never see the X-ray version, whereas the AI sight can. Would make sense if the AI can process that data vs the camera console can't display it to the viewer or something.
It makes perfect sense that something as powerful as a malf AI can passively filter the camera feed in real time.
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #669951

Except the end result of not snitching on a malf AI doesn't translate to the players sitting around being wholesome for longer.
In fact it's the opposite of what you're claiming.
Did you actually think through what you were talking about?
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #670008

I was about to say something here but vect0r already said it
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
toemas

Post by toemas » #670136

dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:49 am Except the end result of not snitching on a malf AI doesn't translate to the players sitting around being wholesome for longer.
it was not directed at this situation specifically. i dont read turbonerd threads
dirk_mcblade
Byond Username: Dirk_McBlade

Post by dirk_mcblade » #670160

toemas wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:03 am
dirk_mcblade wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:49 am Except the end result of not snitching on a malf AI doesn't translate to the players sitting around being wholesome for longer.
it was not directed at this situation specifically. i dont read turbonerd threads
Word