Bmon - DaneMcdonohugh - bit extreme of a punishement for having some EOR chat

Appeals which have been closed.
OzAtlas
Byond Username: OzAtlas

Bmon - DaneMcdonohugh - bit extreme of a punishement for having some EOR chat

Post by OzAtlas » #690138

Byond - OzAtlas
Character name: Dane McDonohugh
Ban type: Banned from Roles: pAI, Brainwashed Victim, Deathsquad, Drone, Lavaland, Mind Transfer Potion, Posibrain, Sentience Potion Spawn permanently
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: After being killed and dusted by the AI as a cling respawned as the shuttle barmaid and proceeded to inform patrons of their bar that the AI had dusted someone. This is metagaming, you cannot use information gather from a previous life as a ghost role to tell people that the AI dusted someone.
Time ban was placed: 2023-06-15 12:35:36
Server you were playing on when banned: Manuel
Round ID in which ban was placed: Round 208277
Your side of the story: I was dusted by the AI with all his justification being.... i changed races. I respawned as the barmaid on the shuttle and wanted to see what people thought about that.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I asked (mainly the captain and sec because i asked them to save me before i was dusted). I asked out of morbid curiosity and also because i want to get better as an antag through more roleplay stuff, i.e being convincing and getting sec to help me against the big mean (totally not my target) person. I dont realy play antag as a kill everyone, murder everything, more of a trick everyone to be my friend, use them to do my obj.... then gas them and betray at the last moment.

Anything else we should know: I HONESTLY was just trying to find out peoples intentions because its hard to find out the holes in your disguises. I dont meta game the fuck out of my rounds. and yes im struggling with not OOC raging. but im doing my best to be better.
If we are going strickly, i get the ban but not the ban length, it didnt ruin the round or make everything fucked. also, its nice to hear other stories of what happened that round. not everyone woulda know a cargo tech ling killed 2 heretics, one heretic got revived, came back, GOT A PARADOX TWIN, tried to kill the cargo tech, duped by his ling disguise, attacked, the original got killed, again, and the paradox twin chilled with the chap for the rest of the round. kinda what a shuttle bartender does, tell of shit that happened.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Re: Bmon - DaneMcdonohugh - bit extreme of a punishement for having some EOR chat

Post by Archie700 » #690154

From the rules:
2. Do not use information gained outside of in-character means.

I.e. metagaming. This especially refers to communication between players outside of the game via things like Discord, known as metacomms. Characters are otherwise allowed to know everything about ingame mechanics or antagonists, as well as keep persistent friendships or relationships with other characters when not for the purpose of unfair advantage by teaming up together for little IC reason.
Saying anything about any previous character you were playing inround and anything you found out in deadchat about before you took the the ghost role is considered metagaming and round-revealing info regardless of what happened. As long as the shuttle hasn't reach centcom, you're not clear.

Actual round was 208272.

Log : 208272

Code: Select all

11:41:06	GAME	OzAtlas/(Barmaid) Client OzAtlas/(Barmaid) has taken ownership of mob Barmaid(/mob/living/simple_animal/hostile/alien/maid/barmaid)	(214, 85, 1)	Emergency Shuttle
11:41:06	ACCESS	Mob Login: OzAtlas/(Barmaid) was assigned to a /mob/living/simple_animal/hostile/alien/maid/barmaid		
11:43:12	SAY	OzAtlas/(Barmaid) "so"	(221, 121, 3)	Emergency Shuttle
11:43:18	SAY	OzAtlas/(Barmaid) "i heard ai dusted"	(221, 121, 3)	Emergency Shuttle
11:43:22	SAY	OzAtlas/(Barmaid) "someone"	(221, 122, 3)	Emergency Shuttle
11:43:25	SAY	OzAtlas/(Barmaid) "bad news for them"	(221, 122, 3)	Emergency Shuttle
OzAtlas

Re: Bmon - DaneMcdonohugh - bit extreme of a punishement for having some EOR chat

Post by OzAtlas » #690168

Im not against A ban, im just against the PERMA ban FOR ALL THOSE ROLES. it pretty much nukes any respawn period. like a day, a wek, etc, fine. but PERMANENT? cmon, its not like i was deliberately telling people Hey kill ai, they killed me in my last life.
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Post by Bmon » #690195

While it had little effect on the actual game since you did it on the shuttle the fact that it even happened in the first place(combo'd with your not so steller note history) demonstrates that you don't have the best understanding of the rules currently. Sadly, you disconnected before I could PM you so I had to place this ban the round after else I would had a conversation with you about Metagame since it really does seem like you're struggling to grasp it as a concept.

I have no intention of keeping this ban on you forever, I just want to see you go a month or two without getting a note for any OOC/Meta related violations. Does that sound good to you?
OzAtlas

Post by OzAtlas » #690201

... thats fine with me.
Bmon
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Bmon

Post by Bmon » #690212

Alright, feel free to appeal in a month so long as you don't get any more notes for anything like this.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #690220

I'd like to clarify some stuff for you OzAtlas before this appeal gets resolved formally.

First of all, Space Station 13 is a roleplaying game in the traditional tabletop D&D sense. That means there is a clear and solid line between IC (in-character) interactions and OOC (out-of-character) interactions. I say this because your history tends towards someone that doesn't know (or perhaps doesn't necessarily care) how important this is.

In the game world you must remain in-character at all times from the moment you join the shift until the end of round screen pops up. Your OOC knowledge about the shift should never mix with your IC knowledge. You shouldn't treat this like a traditional MMO. Netspeak and the equivalent aren't allowed and you're required to put some effort into pretending like you're more than a simple gamer playing an avatar.

Everything you see while dead? That's OOC knowledge. Your character won't recall any of that if they get revived.
Everything you see and witness in a previous life as a different character? That's now OOC knowledge if you die, take another role and start a new life.

Using OOC information in that IC way is one of the most grave forms of cheating.

It ruins the game for yourself. And more importantly it ruins the game for others.

It doesn't matter how minor it was, or if any other players were directly harmed for it. Players that reveal IC information in OOC chat or that use OOC information in an IC context very VERY quickly find themselves banned, and those bans tend to escalate in severity rapidly.

If you have any confusion about this, don't understand something I've said or have any questions about this - please use this appeal as a chance to ask and find out more.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #690232

We have a page on the wiki about this for reference's sake:

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/OOC
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you