Iain0, Dax_payne

Appeals which have been closed.
ickockenjoyer
Byond Username: Ltcmdr

Iain0, Dax_payne

Post by ickockenjoyer » #690835

BYOND account: Dax_payne
Character name: I donnot remember. I only had one character anyway with a randomly generated name.
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Probable evader
Time ban was placed: 02:29:57, Today
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry [EU]
Round ID in which ban was placed: 208606
Your side of the story: I was playing the game late at night. I was hypnotized by a doctor and saw a spelling error to make fun of in the mindrape text, and I accidentally typed it in OOC. I apologized in OOC when I realized the mistake I had made. About 15 minutes later my game freezed and I restarted it thinking I had crashed. When I reconnected I saw my ban. I later realized I had my VPN running without my knowledge (it was configured to run automatically when I boot my machine), so the admin must have mistaken me for someone else who used that specific VPN to evade.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I am a new player as the admins I was in contact with prior to my ban can attest to, as well as the players present at the time.
References of good conduct: I was in contact with admins earlier, because I wanted to fix the annoying lag. I believe I talked to the most to one called Terry.
Anything else we should know: I am annoyed that I have to drag this to the forums. I tried to take it to Discord and I was instructed to make an appeal here instead. It is not my wish for drama to be made out of this. Although I do hope that lain0 conducts more thorough investigations in the future before handing out permanent bans like candy.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Re: lain0, Dax_payne

Post by iain0 » #690851

Hi there,

Firstly, can we not call it "mindrape" thanks. It's brainwashing or hypnosis (former i guess)

Secondly I'd like to apologise for effectively silently banning you while you were online ; I attempted to reach out to you after the incident in OOC but you had disconnected, however, by the time I finished reviewing information (contrary to your belief this was not handed out like candy, I spent a few minutes digging up info before deciding to perma) you had reconnected as I noticed your disconnect message upon banning, so apologies for that oversight, would have been better to discuss this.

There's a couple of things that really bothered me about this situation ; firstly how do you end up copy pasting your objectives into OOC? I reviewed your entire chat log and couldn't find any IC context where that copy paste would have made sense, nor did you retransmit it on a proper channel, so what were you intending to do here?

On top of this, you're a one day old account, and you've also managed to rack this up in your one day:
CentCom
daxpayne.PNG
Yup, apparently on your first day of ever having this game, you managed to break into a HOP office and murder someone with a variety of different weapons because thats how you get access. Then at the end of your first day you go break the IC OOC rule and out your brainwashing antagonist (who wasn't best pleased either). Heck of a record in half a day of play time.

Do you have a history of playing SS13? Perhaps a previous CKEY?

All in all, managing to violate two pretty big rules on two different servers all within 24 hours of an account being created is why it ends up looking like an evader. I'll probably seek a second opinion on this one and get back to you, in the mean time if you can give some insight on the questions raised please.

Thanks,
ickockenjoyer

Re: lain0, Dax_payne

Post by ickockenjoyer » #690856

iain0 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:56 pm Secondly I'd like to apologise for effectively silently banning you while you were online ; I attempted to reach out to you after the incident in OOC but you had disconnected, however, by the time I finished reviewing information (contrary to your belief this was not handed out like candy, I spent a few minutes digging up info before deciding to perma) you had reconnected as I noticed your disconnect message upon banning, so apologies for that oversight, would have been better to discuss this.

There's a couple of things that really bothered me about this situation ; firstly how do you end up copy pasting your objectives into OOC? I reviewed your entire chat log and couldn't find any IC context where that copy paste would have made sense, nor did you retransmit it on a proper channel, so what were you intending to do here?

Yup, apparently on your first day of ever having this game, you managed to break into a HOP office and murder someone with a variety of different weapons because thats how you get access. Then at the end of your first day you go break the IC OOC rule and out your brainwashing antagonist (who wasn't best pleased either). Heck of a record in half a day of play time.
I'm new to /tg/station (refer to my previous encounters with admins), but I have a passing familiarity with the game in general. I only wanted to make fun of that spelling error, which you have no doubt located in the logs. I didn't realize that this compromised the doctor's position until after I had sent it, and thus I apologised.
What happened in the other server is not relevant. But if you must know, there was an altercation with the HoP and two other people helped me get in the armory and his office. I tried to explain to the admin that the HoP had stolen my ID card and he wouldn't listen.
I see no evidence that implicates me as a 'possible evader' in your response. Suspicions could be raised about my origins, still not enough to warrant a permanent ban. Unless of course if I'm misinterpreting the rules, and thus missed the part that mentions new players who have some knowledge of the game are to be banned forever.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Re: Iain0, Dax_payne

Post by iain0 » #690880

Indeed, it's more that you raise a few yellow flags while also committing the worst of IC OOC ; outing the person who just got one up on you. The ban message placed from /vg/ doesn't really do you any favours, doesn't really explain you're trying to retrieve a card or anything, merely that you apparently attacked multiple people with a variety of weapons properly used. It's quite a long distance from what your average player ends up doing on their first day in the game, hence this being in its self a yellow flag. Telling the VG admin, and thus being on record as saying, "reading rules is gay" doesn't really paint you in a good light either. No-one cares what you think of reading rules, you are required to read them, and abide by them, which is hard(er) to do if you dont read them (to be fair, most of them are common sense, but then common sense shouldn't really lead to you having a lethal shootout with the HOP and HOS on vg either). So go read them to make sure you minimise future accidents.

All those yellow flags combined with your disconnect when I tried to reach out was what lead me to this conclusion. Having heard the explanations, honestly, its still all a little sus, but there's enough possibility here, so I'll unban you and give you another chance, but please tread carefully, your day old history is quite strange already.

Enacted now, please let me know if you have any issues getting back in.
ickockenjoyer

Post by ickockenjoyer » #690887

iain0 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:28 pm Telling the VG admin, and thus being on record as saying, "reading rules is gay" doesn't really paint you in a good light either.

All those yellow flags combined with your disconnect when I tried to reach out was what lead me to this conclusion. Having heard the explanations, honestly, its still all a little sus, but there's enough possibility here, so I'll unban you and give you another chance, but please tread carefully, your day old history is quite strange already.

Enacted now, please let me know if you have any issues getting back in.
He said he was going to ban me and then I said 'that's gay'. I never commented on the /vg/station rules in the discussion I was having with him. That admin also decided to ignore important context (HoP refusing to give arbitrary access after giving me important access, HoP not giving me back my ID card after the disagreement, and the involvement of other players in this scenario), or he at least neglected to include it in his ban reason. One could think that he was going out of his way to give the longest ban possible for a minor offense.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by iain0 » #690949

Yeah, that's fine, other servers bans aren't generally taken into much consideration, certainly not the same way as tg bans, they're just something we can look into for further insight, and in turn raised that extra yellow flag, which led us here.