[Misdoubtful] SinfulBliss - Board warning

Appeals which have been closed.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

[Misdoubtful] SinfulBliss - Board warning

Post by sinfulbliss » #696298

sinfulbliss wrote:I don’t think Kinnebian is a bad admin or anything. I’m sure he does a fine job adminning Manuel and he seems like a swell fellow. But it’s unrealistic to expect someone who’s spent 99% of their playtime and 99% of their admin time on Manuel to then hop on Terry, a completely different server with different rules and different culture, and then enforce those rules accurately.

It’s a common theme with the meme of the fearsome “Manuelmin bans”— it’s only a half-joke. The issue is it’s not their fault, it’s like taking a Gestapo officer from 1940s Germany and plopping him into your local mall circa 2023. Fortunately back in Auschwitz during his gas chamber safety protocol training he was given a pamphlet on the mall code of conduct so he knows what he’ll be dealing with. But ask yourself honestly. Inevitably he is going to thwack some skateboarders on the head with his nightstick, yeah? He’s gonna heil on accident during the national anthem. Some fucking accidental discharges are gonna go off along the way here. Because he isn’t a mallcop! He belongs in Auschwitz, not outside a Popeyes in the food court!

People have been comparing both people and events to the Gestapo since CollegeHumor made their Grammar Nazi video 13 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM

I see nothing wrong with making a comparison to these subjects for a joke. I could have made it a Detroit cop or FBI agent instead but that wouldn't have worked as well.
I completely oppose the idea that this created an "alienating environment." In fact it united the thread, and created something, a bit silly given, for both Manuelmins and Terrymins alike to have a giggle at.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Re: [Misdoubtful] SinfulBliss - Board warning

Post by Misdoubtful » #696299

Rule 6 was enforced with this one:
We are here to have fun, if you are not having fun, maybe it would be best for you to take a break

If you consistently cause drama, we may ask (read: ban) that you take a break, and may also require that you abandon your old identity should we allow you to come back.
I'm really hard pressed to at this moment see this as being anything but bait and pointless creation of drama through hairpin triggered subjects. You were warned for causing said drama. You'll have to do a bit more legwork on this one.

Hopefully you see where I'm coming from with this so we can reach a common ground on why this was viewed as unacceptable behavior, regardless of the 'history of time and the internet'.

A CollegeHumor video from 13 years ago really doesn't lineup with current social standards and morals, nor is it in line with the context of this situation. Back in the early 2000's everyone just called everyone and everything 'gay' or 'nerdy' to demean things and each other. That doesn't happen now.

I feel all we can really do here is try to find an understanding, so...

---

Would you agree that anything relating to Nazi's and the Holocaust is a polarizing and sensitive subject? Yes, or no?

Would you agree that bringing up polarizing and sensitive subjects can cause people that find offense to them to not want to partake in things? Yes, or no?

If you had the opportunity to use a more tame comparison, why didn't you use it?
Hugs
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #696302

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:21 pm A CollegeHumor video from 13 years ago really doesn't lineup with current social standards and morals, nor is it in line with the context of this situation. Back in the early 2000's everyone just called everyone and everything 'gay' or 'nerdy' to demean things and each other. That doesn't happen now.
I disagree, I think comedians joke about much worse nowadays and I find it extremely regrettable humor isn’t allowed here if it’s about something sensitive — that is quite literally the purpose of humor. I think this CollegeHumor video would be completely inoffensive to all but the most hypersensitive people looking to get offended at something.
Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:21 pmWould you agree that anything relating to Nazi's and the Holocaust is a polarizing and sensitive subject? Yes, or no?
I think everyone has the same view of the Nazis and the holocaust so it’s definitely not polarizing. Sensitive sure.
Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:21 pmWould you agree that bringing up polarizing and sensitive subjects can cause people that find offense to them to not want to partake in things? Yes, or no?
Yes, but I disagree with the possibility that anyone at all found offense with my little analogy here. Even a Manuelmin (supposedly the people I’m alienating) was laughing at it so no I don’t think this could’ve caused any offense. That’s the main reason I’m appealing.
Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:21 pmIf you had the opportunity to use a more tame comparison, why didn't you use it?
Because it wouldn’t have been funny like that. It’s not a crime to make things a little silly as a treat and have a little fun.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #696303

I perhaps need to clarify that the admin that this statement was directed at came to the headmins collectively (due a lack of forum admins we are currently the only forum admins) and asked us to act on this.

They were NOT okay with you comparing them an Auschwitz officer.

Does this mean that they are a hypersenstive person looking to get offended at something? Or did you actually instead take the time and effort to compare them to a nazi?

Someone very clearly took offense to your little analogy here, the person this was directed at...
Hugs
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #696306

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:41 pm I perhaps need to clarify that the admin that this statement was directed at came to the headmins collectively (due a lack of forum admins we are currently the only forum admins) and asked us to act on this.

They were NOT okay with you comparing them an Auschwitz officer.

Does this mean that they are a hypersenstive person looking to get offended at something? Or did you actually instead take the time and effort to compare them to a nazi?

Someone very clearly took offense to your little analogy here, the person this was directed at...
I think it was a miscommunication then.

I was never comparing them personally to an Auschwitz officer. I was making light of how different in strictness Manuelmins are from LRPmins by drawing an analogy to the difference between an Auschwitz officer and a mallcop.

I never meant them in particular, but I will say it is a bit surprising seeing their post showing they took actual offense to it, they seemed to reply to the thread in a way that struck me as unperturbed.

Regardless, they weren’t the “target” of my analogy, it was a silly way to compare rulesets and what happens when you put a guy in charge of the stricter ruleset into a more lax environment.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #696309

Well... this might be a lesson on using something that facilitates intentions without having some serious possible implications when misinterpreted.

Cheekily; also known as: not comparing people to Nazi's.

When those misinterpretations happen, plenty of drama is sure to ensue, yeah?
Hugs
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #696313

Misdoubtful wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:53 pm Well... this might be a lesson on using something that facilitates intentions without having some serious possible implications when misinterpreted.

Cheekily; also known as: not comparing people to Nazi's.

When those misinterpretations happen, plenty of drama is sure to ensue, yeah?
I’ll be honest with you, I fully knew there was a risk of the analogy being half understood and that interpretation happening.

But I figured, that won’t matter because surely no one could take seriously the prospect of their administration on an 8-bit 2001 space game as on-par with the Gestapo? And to be frank, I still don’t think this can be taken seriously, and I have trouble seeing how someone could get offended at a completely non-serious comparison.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #696321

Again just because you didn't take it seriously doesn't mean other people didn't. That isn't really an excuse for the behavior either. Someone can run 100 stop signs, never get a ticket, and still be breaking the law. The moment its allowed in one case is the moment we have to allow it in all cases.

You knew going into it that there was a risk it would be interpreted this way and made the choice the post it. That risk came to be, even if you didn't possibly believe it working out that way. That's the situation that we are in right now, as hard as it may be to believe.

For the record though: this warning would have happened regardless of whether someone was actually offended by this or not. Mostly it's a please don't do this, this sort of stuff will only create drama kind of thing. That's the main point here.
Hugs
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #696342

Hey, its me. I'm the guy who called headmins on the party.
This joke honestly perturbed me because of more personal reasons I'd rather not get into, but in short I felt it was a really shit analogy that could be easily seen as you comparing me to a nazi.
I'm genuinely sorry I didnt make my offended nature clear, I was trying to play it off cool, but later felt it disturbed me enough that I went over to the headmins.
I understand where youre coming from and I didnt presume that you meant to be offensive for the sake of it, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from in kind.
respect (let him do his thing)
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #696363

kinnebian wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:49 pm Hey, its me. I'm the guy who called headmins on the party.
This joke honestly perturbed me because of more personal reasons I'd rather not get into, but in short I felt it was a really shit analogy that could be easily seen as you comparing me to a nazi.
I'm genuinely sorry I didnt make my offended nature clear, I was trying to play it off cool, but later felt it disturbed me enough that I went over to the headmins.
I understand where youre coming from and I didnt presume that you meant to be offensive for the sake of it, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from in kind.
If it genuinely did offend you, it would’ve been nice to hear that from you and not Misdoubtful. Instead of laughing along with everyone else and then silently reporting it in bus to get me whacked. If something I say genuinely offends you or anyone else, my PMs are open, and never shared with anyone. I’m not going to be an asshole if someone reaches out and tells me that something I said hurt them.

@Misdoubtful: I feel it a bit unfair to qualify this as drama in order to fit it under the drama rule and warn for it, it was a joke that someone took offense at and others laughed at, nothing more.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #696364

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:31 pm
kinnebian wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:49 pm Hey, its me. I'm the guy who called headmins on the party.
If it genuinely did offend you, it would’ve been nice to hear that from you and not Misdoubtful. Instead of laughing along with everyone else and then silently reporting it in bus to get me whacked. If something I say genuinely offends you or anyone else, my PMs are open, and never shared with anyone. I’m not going to be an asshole if someone reaches out and tells me that something I said hurt them.
Yeah, this is what I shouldve done in retrospect, and I genuinely apologize for doing that to you.
respect (let him do his thing)
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #696366

kinnebian wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:33 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:31 pm
Yeah, this is what I shouldve done in retrospect, and I genuinely apologize for doing that to you.
I appreciate that, I also apologize if this joke triggered some unpleasant thoughts or feelings. It was intended only to make people laugh.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #698821

I've let this one stew for a moment.

I don't expect you to like the rules, but I do expect you to comply with them.

I'm not interested in you moving the goalposts here either jumping to things like 'well it didn't offend anyone'.
I'm not interested playing any games with you about this in the slightest.

Comparing people to Nazi's isn't okay, period.
Stirring up drama like this even as a joke isn't okay, period.

Just because you do not see anything wrong with it doesn't mean its fine and dandy, and you are going to have to come to terms with that.

Quite frankly I don't care if you think it means people are soft, and I don't care if you don't think its a problem unless people get offended. Doing it, in general, isn't acceptable.

The rules are very clear on this, and I'm not going to sit here and lecture you on why its not okay.

Your last appeal ended with the following:
This ban was made for a trend of posting that was diffuse enough to not warrant immediate action over any one post. The appellant has further demonstrated their posting and rhetorical style in this appeal. They are committed to opposing the intended atmosphere of a community forum, specifically in regards to peanut discussions.

Future teams should consider carefully whether they would like to re-introduce this content into the community.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33099
You are repeating the exact same sort of behaviors that led to the last ban and that is: "Disgusting bait, and then backtracking when people call you out on it to say you stimulate a conversation", but this time you swapped conversation with 'jokingly calling people Nazi's h-haha'. That's worse, that is both an actionable post and something that could be part of a dangerous trend.

This is efforts to make a course correction and make sure you at least have the opportunity to get things sorted before it become a larger problem and before it becomes another trend. Its as simple as that.
Hugs
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #698824

The message that you got warned for was simply idiotic. It was absolutely out of line with the following Player's Club rule:
There is an expected level of civility in posting here. Going out of your way to stir up drama and/or otherwise make things unpleasant for everyone may result in getting kicked out of the Player's Club.
And it comes tantalisingly close to breaking Forum Rule 7:
7. Please be respectful of other users. You can disagree with someone without being a hostile douchebag.
And tantalisingly close to breaking Forum Rule 1:
1. No spam. (Contentless posts, repeated posts, off topic posts)
* Posts only designed to antagonize or otherwise escalate the situation are generally considered spam. Try to be civil about your grievances
That you haven't been re-turfed out of the player's club honestly should earn you the nickname NyanfulBliss, because you've got more lives than a cat at this point.

The playerbase hates it when admins try to lawyer around things. The headmin team also dislikes it when players try to lawyer around things. Can't we (read: pretty much just you at this point) all just be adults and accept a little personal responsibility for our own choices. Perhaps own the inevitable consequences when we fuck up exercising our free will?
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #698825

And with Timbers drafted response being posted:

None of the other headmins have even the slightest interest in defending you on this one, agree with me, and have greenlit this closing post and agree with my previous one.

This was a warning so that you can fix your shit. WE advise that you do so. As Timber said, its a miracle you are still allowed in the Players Club, and banning you again for this instance would have been absolutely warranted.

Appeal denied, and closed.
Hugs