Raise the amount of midround injections and increase threat on roundstart.

TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Raise the amount of midround injections and increase threat on roundstart.

Post by TheRex9001 » #697744

What the title says, in a lot of recent shifts I have observed high threat rounds that start with 6 roundstart threat spent and then it runs out of injections quickly. To amend this problem I suggest we increase threat spent roundstart and increase the amount of injections dynamic has available, additionally I would suggest lowering the time between midrounds but I am unsure if this is actually a config thing.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Raise the amount of midround injections and increase threat on roundstart.

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #697755

I have witnessed the exact opposite, where there will initially be 1 traitor at the beginning of a 25 pop round, and over the coarse of 1 hour there will be 11 traitors.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #697768

Pretty sure lowpop genuinely has more traitors than mid or high pop since the game can't spend threat on anything but sleeper agent.

That being said, that doesn't happen on mid and high pop, but Rex's issue happens quite often where barely anything gets spawned.
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #697770

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:12 am I have witnessed the exact opposite, where there will initially be 1 traitor at the beginning of a 25 pop round, and over the coarse of 1 hour there will be 11 traitors.
This is more of a code issue, it might be fixable through config but I am unsure of how to do that without fucking up mid-high pop
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #697782

We had this discussion relatively recently.
Timberpoes wrote:Having gathered all your feedback, we're basically looking at various methods/techniques to increase the proportion of high-threat to low-threat shifts when Misdoubtful returns from vacation next week.

Any changes we wish to publicise will be done via the config changes thread, so keep an eye out.

Timberpoes: I still think low threat shifts are important, as I've seen back-to-back insane threat shifts drop server pop just as hard as back-to-back greenshifts in times long past. But dynamic changes are trivially done and undone, so if there are any problems we'll just keep pushing buttons.
Kieth4: Made the thread.
Misdoubtful: On vacation, "I'd be fine with less greens" from internal discussions.
viewtopic.php?p=687510#p687510

I'm not sure if any actual config changes were made. I haven't seen any, so I'd assume not.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #697785

Vekter wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:26 pm We had this discussion relatively recently.
Timberpoes wrote:Having gathered all your feedback, we're basically looking at various methods/techniques to increase the proportion of high-threat to low-threat shifts when Misdoubtful returns from vacation next week.

Any changes we wish to publicise will be done via the config changes thread, so keep an eye out.

Timberpoes: I still think low threat shifts are important, as I've seen back-to-back insane threat shifts drop server pop just as hard as back-to-back greenshifts in times long past. But dynamic changes are trivially done and undone, so if there are any problems we'll just keep pushing buttons.
Kieth4: Made the thread.
Misdoubtful: On vacation, "I'd be fine with less greens" from internal discussions.
viewtopic.php?p=687510#p687510

I'm not sure if any actual config changes were made. I haven't seen any, so I'd assume not.
This is related I suppose but the main issue I feel is that high threat shifts turn into low threat shifts due to the lack of injections and roundstart threat (not threat amount but amount spent roundstart)
nukularpower
Byond Username: Nukularpower

Post by nukularpower » #697789

Between sec stomping out every antag that dares think a nasty thought and overpowered lasers and etc - I would love to see more injections. But, I dont know if dynamic is really up to what is required of it - its like playing a DND pc game vs actually playing DnD with a person as a DM. I would much rather see admins getting more involved with setting up threats rather than taking a backseat to dynamic's inadequate spawns (ie: 3 pirates at 1.5 hours when crew is running around with 50 laser crates and 5 durands)
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #697926

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:12 am I have witnessed the exact opposite, where there will initially be 1 traitor at the beginning of a 25 pop round, and over the coarse of 1 hour there will be 11 traitors.
This seems like a statistically uncommon round given each sleeper/infiltrator is +1 tot, thats 10 injections in an hour. But I do know what you mean here that low pop will just become majority syndie station over the course of a round.

The counter issue seems to be with the system not spending much threat round start ; like to have a busy round start threat you have to BOTH roll high threat AND roll a higher round start distribution ; thats two spreads that have to go in your favour because /either/ low overall threat /or/ low round start split will cause the opening to be sedentary, with the likely first late join and mid rounds at 10 and 20 minutes, meaning typically by 30-40 minutes you have a couple of light threats, and regularly dynamic wont get to spend all its threat simply due to the lack of opportunities.

What parameters are tunable with the current code?

WRT OP, lowering the interval between midrounds is likely to make it spend more threat overall on the "light" antags with the risk of then running dry in the second half of the round where dynamic opens up major injections.

Perhaps mandating that the round start split cant be less than 25% of threat would hit the mark?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #697928

I agree, on long lowpop rounds it seems at the end everyone is a traitor, whereas on highpop rounds it often feels like there’s just no threat at all.
Spoiler:
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #697950

god no. rounds are already too hectic as is
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin

Post by TheRex9001 » #697990

EmpressMaia wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:52 pm god no. rounds are already too hectic as is
Well the main issue is that rounds which should be hectic arent and rounds which shouldnt be are. I liked iain0s idea of 25% threat being spent at roundstart because it amends this pretty well.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #704322

We are closing this one based on the resolution brought forwards in the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=34921
Hugs