Generubi
Byond Username: Generubi

[Vekter] Bulb - Banned for satirical recipes

Post by Generubi » #699839

BYOND account: generubi
Character name: Bulb
Ban type: Server
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Used station announcements to tell people how to build pipe bombs and make mustard gas.
Time ban was placed: 2023-08-16 16:24:53
Server you were playing on when banned: Terry
Round ID in which ban was placed: 212673
Your side of the story: I was with the Captain and RD asking Centcomm for a new tram (as they had done an event in where they spawned one in the station) and they let me in the comms console. When Centcomm refused they brainstormed ideas about how to get money and left the Bridge. I was then left alone with an open comms after which i started announcing that I was Bulb and I had been left unsupervised in the console. After a few messages I OOC looked through r/Copypasta and took 2 random fake posts about how to make a pipebomb and mustard gas (at first just a pipebomb but someone asked in radio for mustard gas after it). I posted it and then the RD & Captain came to check on me and were amused by the posts, so they left me alone. When I thought that i've done enough tomfoolery I got a bwoink of an admin, which I kind of took as a joke because they didn't seem really severe, and the admin promptly banned me after telling me "oh okay I have something really fun for you"
Why you think you should be unbanned: First of all, I'm terribly sorry for doing it, as I didn't mean to cause any harm doing it and I won't repeat it ever. I took the "shitpost" from r/copypasta as they were fake (although I can agree that they looked kind of real). The crewmembers were laughing their asses off because of it and I didn't really thought it was such a deal until an admin told me that it is a crime in the United States. In my opinion the admin had a point to contact me via bwoink,
but I do not think that a permanent ban for a fake recipe is justified, specially when we're on Europe and not the US. I also have very few infractions and a lot of green ticks.
Anything else we should know: After the ban a big portion of the tg community thought that it was uncalled for a permanent ban, and specially because I try my best to make tg an enjoyable experience for the other players and they agree that it is sad to see me bannned.
Last edited by Generubi on Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Re: [Vekter] Bulb - Banned for satirical recipes

Post by Vekter » #699849

Hey, thanks for appealing.

Given the serious nature of the topic and how it's handled over here in the states, we have to treat any jokes like this as if they're serious. I understand that you might've considered this funny at face value, but we've had situations where our webhosts have noticed this sort of thing in the files stored on our servers and have asked us to address them to prevent legal issues. Instructions on how to make terrorist devices could result in our hosting contracts being terminated which would cause /tg/ to be shut down. We can't have that.

I trust that you didn't really consider the ramifications of your actions and were just doing this as a meme. None of this seems malicious, just a goof where you hadn't thought through what might happen.

Can you promise me you won't repeat this behavior in the future?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Generubi

Post by Generubi » #699851

I do promise that I will not repeat this kind of behaviour and dangerous jokes in the future. I am sorry that it was taken so badly and I truly am sorry for taking it so lightly at first
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #699862

The risk is very low that any of the doom and gloom legal stuff happens. The greater risk people take is that it can trigger action, reporting requirements or even legal obligations from MSO to benefit from any applicable safe harbour laws.

The admin team will often shit not just a brick, but an entire multi floor farmhouse complete with chimney, garage and accompanying barn the mere second they suspect illegal content has been shared. And since we don't have a legal team on hand to make decisions, the mere suspicion that content sent to our game servers is illegal will usually lead to immediate permabans and lots of MSO pings being placed because it's better to be safe than sorry.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #699888

Alright, we'll lessen this to a three day ban. I appreciate your understanding and I'm sorry for handling the ahelp the way I did, I should've been a bit more professional about it but it's hard to see someone doing something like this and not assume it's in bad faith.
Timberpoes wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:13 pm The admin team will often shit not just a brick, but an entire multi floor farmhouse complete with chimney, garage and accompanying barn the mere second they suspect illegal content has been shared.
I play no-build on Fortnite actually
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Generubi

Post by Generubi » #699893

Thank you so much for being so understanding yourself ^^