they're in the walls peanut [reserved]

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

they're in the walls peanut [reserved]

Post by iwishforducks » #728577

waiting for the admin complaint to drop in the mean time please enjoy this picture of a possum

if you're so curious: https://discord.com/channels/3268221442 ... 4708694119
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Re: they're in the walls peanut [reserved]

Post by Jacquerel » #728578

a pre-complaint peanut could also be referred to as a "pre-nut"
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #728579

i made a admin feedbac about this does that mean i cant post here
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #728581

I love it when MRP malds when a greenshift round of an hour and 20 minutes gets interrupted because I watch people suicide from how boring it is.

Anyways if you see a vote pop up you should probably participate.
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #728584

do you believe that this is a genuinely good thing to say or what
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #728585

Drag wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:30 pm I love it when MRP malds when a greenshift round of an hour and 20 minutes gets interrupted because I watch people suicide from how boring it is.

make the votes play a more oxnoxious noise
dukenukemsucks
Byond Username: BloodyChristmasMiracle

Post by dukenukemsucks » #728586

wow i really hate this admin team like holy crap!! they take a perfectly good greenshift but NOOOOOO they HAVE to screw the round because "people are suiciding" so what? that happens all the in regular threat rounds but nobody organizes literal circuses then and you know why' BECAUSE THE GAME IS BROKEN!! THE GAME IS FUCKING BROKEN ORANGES!!! goddamn threat through the roof ALWAYS and now we can't have a bit of quiet and peace because the admins get tired of watching a regular ass round play out, great now i can't finish my 3 round character arc because the admins turned every wall into an SM and broke the fucking server, bravo!! everybody round of applause for the clowns!! yeah thank you very much guys seriously, i'll be making a very serious policy thread in Drag's admin thread because he is a repeat offender of this kind of chicanery, and he won't listen to reason, instead opting to insult the players they supposedly regulate,
what a sick joke, he should be demoted to trial admin unless tjhhey change their ways because this is beyond ridiculous and honestly very dissapointing.

Please TG Admin Team do better, or this server will crash into the ground in a big ball of fire and burn until it dies and rots like the cockroach i killed in my bathroom last week.

P.S: coders please play the game, every week there's new and uneccesary changes made to the game just making the game experience worse and worse and worse, there is no end in sight, just bloat and shit no one cares about, fix the fucking game and dynamic PLEASE or bring back secret until this shit is fixed, it's been 2 years since dynamic is broken and it's still hell. get your shit together, maybe feature freeze and sort this shit out.
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #728587

EmpressMaia wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:09 pm
Drag wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:30 pm I love it when MRP malds when a greenshift round of an hour and 20 minutes gets interrupted because I watch people suicide from how boring it is.

make the votes play a more oxnoxious noise
Coder problem, not a me problem
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #728588

wow i weawwy hate thiws admin team wike howy cwap!! they take a pewfectwy good gweenshift but noooooo they have tuwu scwew the wound because "peopwe awe suiciding" so whawt? thawt happens aww the in weguwaw thweat wounds but nobody owganizes witewaw ciwcuses then awnd uwu know why' because the gawme iws bwoken!! the gawme iws fucking bwoken owanges!!! goddamn thweat thwough the woof awways awnd now we cawn't have a bit of quiet awnd peace because the admins get tiwed of watching a weguwaw ass wound pway out, gweat now i cawn't finish my 3 wound chawactew awc because the admins tuwned evewy waww intwo an sm awnd bwoke the fucking sewvew, bwavo!! evewybody wound of appwause fow the cwowns!! yeah thank uwu vewy much guys sewiouswy, i'ww be making a vewy sewious powicy thwead in dwag's admin thwead because he iws a wepeat offendew of thiws kind of chicanewy, awnd he won't wisten tuwu weason, instead opting tuwu insuwt the pwayews they supposedwy weguwate,
whawt a sick joke, he shouwd be demoted tuwu twiaw admin unwess tjhhey change theiw ways because thiws iws beyond widicuwous awnd honestwy vewy dissapointing.

pwease tg admin team duwu bettew, ow thiws sewvew wiww cwash intwo the gwound in a big baww of fiwe awnd buwn untiw iwt dies awnd wots wike the cockwoach i kiwwed in my bathwoom wast week.

p.S: codews pwease pway the gawme, evewy week thewe's new awnd uneccesawy changes made tuwu the gawme juwst making the gawme expewience wowse awnd wowse awnd wowse, thewe iws no end in sight, juwst bwoat awnd shit no owne cawes abouwt, fix the fucking gawme awnd dynamic pwease ow bwing bawck secwet untiw thiws shit iws fixed, iwt's bewn 2 yeaws since dynamic iws bwoken awnd iwt's stiww heww. get youw shit togethew, maybe featuwe fweeze awnd sowt thiws shit out.
Donglesplonge
Byond Username: Donglesplonge

Post by Donglesplonge » #728589

this person has a history of typing very little using alot of words, seriously check their post history, theres ALOT more there than just this and its all pretty funny

also admins are evil this is very true
PapaMichael
Byond Username: PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #728591

"Greenshifts are bad" is often a self-fulfilling prophecy. Of course a shift is going to lose a lot of steam when a third of the playerbase alt+tabs to watch YouTube as soon as the greenshift announcement pops up. The people who haven't quit the game are playing a lot more half-assedly than they usually would, so the more earnest players start to lose interest, and it just dominoes from there. There's no solution to this, it'd be really fucking shitty to start bwoinking people who no longer want to play.

(To be perfectly clear: I like greenshifts and wish this wouldn't happen, despite undoubtedly being partially guilty of it myself)

I think I'd even go as far to say that secret zero-threat rounds are better than explicit zero-threat ones, since they don't have the cascading player disengagement problem.
Like my admining? Feedback here!
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #728592

you will never be able to convince me that greenshift announcements are a good thing. they aren't.

what kind of paranoia-laden roleplaying game starts its round with an announcement that there will be no paranoia today?

it sets unrealistic expectations that nothing should happen on both sides of the aisle: nothing should happen so i don't want to play vs nothing should happen so i better not see any excitement disturbing my bar rp.

don't tell the crew anything. if it's 45 minutes in and no antags, then you should relax but there should still be that "what if..." in the back of your mind. if that's gone completely then we're doing ourselves a disservice.
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #728594

dendydoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:06 am you will never be able to convince me that greenshift announcements are a good thing. they aren't.

what kind of paranoia-laden roleplaying game starts its round with an announcement that there will be no paranoia today?

it sets unrealistic expectations that nothing should happen on both sides of the aisle: nothing should happen so i don't want to play vs nothing should happen so i better not see any excitement disturbing my bar rp.

don't tell the crew anything. if it's 45 minutes in and no antags, then you should relax but there should still be that "what if..." in the back of your mind. if that's gone completely then we're doing ourselves a disservice.
Relax and do what? Greenshifts in general aren't a good thing. We have antagonists for a reason
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
DrAmazing343
Byond Username: DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #728595

Greenshifts are cool but they ought to be, as Dendy says, unannounced OR an admin event type thing. I think generally once in a while it's a nice change of pace but if nothing happens for like 3 hours it kills all motivation for me to play for the night.

On the other side of the fence, I get it. They're cozy sometimes and if you get a lot of involvement on a project, it's great! But, like, ninety minutes tops for me personally >w>
Walter brought back Crack.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #728597

NoxVS wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:00 am
dendydoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:06 am you will never be able to convince me that greenshift announcements are a good thing. they aren't.

Relax and do what? Greenshifts in general aren't a good thing. We have antagonists for a reason
greenshifts in general aren't a good thing but variance is.

changing things up regularly reminds us that this game is a roleplaying sandbox and is at its best when people approach different situations in different ways and explore/experiment with a wide variety of scenarios and themes.

when a greenshift is announced it cements those expectations. half the server quits because they don't expect anything to happen, and the other half get upset if anything does happen because they were "promised" a greenshift with the announcement.

keeping the crew in the dark sets no expectations and therefore doesn't cement any pre-determined "meta" or rote approach to a situation. in this state players just roll with the punches, adapting to whatever comes next and the game is really good when people are willing to do this.
NSFW:
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #728598

i like announced greenshifts much more than the 3 threat non-announced rounds. greenshifts are nice for focusing more on fun stuff rather than all the baddie bad bads. back-to-back greenshifts make me want to throw myself out the window just as much as back-to-back black orbits do
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #728599

Bad event issue.
There can be better events than that come on!
Take with a grain of salt, I wasn't in it so I dunno if it was fun.

Also, new copypasta:
@Head Admin Hey, why are admins allowed to nuke a perfectly good greenshift? What the fuck? This is supposed to be ROLEPLAY. And your fucking admins just come in and relying on a vote of like 15 people saying yes ruin it with highlands + 5000 ms of lag + making every wall a fucking SM.
Why the fuck is that allowed.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #728600

drag should have tied it into the story of the round instead of just doing an OOC vote
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #728601

Head Admin Hey, why are admins allowed to nuke a perfectly good greenshift? What the fuck? This is supposed to be ROLEPLAY. And your fucking admins just come in and relying on a vote of like 15 people saying yes ruin it with highlands + 5000 ms of lag + making every wall a fucking SM.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #728606

NoxVS wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:00 am Relax and do what? Greenshifts in general aren't a good thing. We have antagonists for a reason
Interesting idea, do you think threat should have a minimum floor so there's never a round without antags? Seems like the easiest solution to greenshifts being bad.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #728607

There should always be atleast 1 threat in a round from the start. If it's very low threat the antags should he informed so they don't get caught early
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #728608

I mean I was in this shift. People were just brawling incessantly in the medbay while high on the meth I was mass producing, and we all voted for the admin to nuke the round, myself included.

Remove greenshifts and make them adminbus only.
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #728609

EmpressMaia wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 pm i made a admin feedbac about this does that mean i cant post here
You just can't post... ever
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #728614

I agree that threat is broken and I also agree that Greenshift announcements are a bad thing. The nature of the game is creeping paranoia.
Having zero threat gets old quickly. As does 'here have another dragon + blob + shadowling'.

Maybe we need more antags or events similar to rods/meteors etc.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #728658

dendydoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:42 am
NoxVS wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:00 am
dendydoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:06 am [...]
greenshifts in general aren't a good thing but variance is.

changing things up regularly reminds us that this game is a roleplaying sandbox and is at its best when people approach different situations in different ways and explore/experiment with a wide variety of scenarios and themes.

when a greenshift is announced it cements those expectations. half the server quits because they don't expect anything to happen, and the other half get upset if anything does happen because they were "promised" a greenshift with the announcement.

keeping the crew in the dark sets no expectations and therefore doesn't cement any pre-determined "meta" or rote approach to a situation. in this state players just roll with the punches, adapting to whatever comes next and the game is really good when people are willing to do this.
The game is good when people do this, but some games take being punched less well than others.

I respect the position that encouraging spontaneity and flexibility is better for everyone most of the time.

However, time is limited, and sometimes some people - not an insignificant portion - want the ability to run gimmicks or interactions that aren't going to be foiled by the brute luck of dynamic. This goes both for people looking to do big projects or socialize, bar rp if you wanna call it that, as non-antags - and antags who die on the cross doing their gimmick for the rote meta of people expecting "antags gonna antag" that drives how people treat them in a lot of rounds.

The problem we run into is that there's a range of desired "games" to play in each round that not everyone wants to play in any particular round, and some of these games don't play nice together.

The most harmonious outcome is everyone being willing to recognize each other and be more willing to roll with the punches - like you said. It's also the most preserving of verisimilitude to say that nobody can say what you're in for in any round - we used to joke that Extended (back when we had Secret rather than Dynamic, and Secret could roll Extended) was the bloodiest gamemode because people got up to their own shit and acted off of that - either very consciously as non-antag instigators or unconsciously responding to/anticipating other antag activity in the round.

We try to chart a course for people getting up to their own authentic shit with limits and escalation policy, metaprotections for sec, etc. - but these are limits that exist against the backdrop of a game in which antags are the prime movers and subject to the prejudices of usual antag freedom (see again people who bemoan getting fucked out of running an unconventional gimmick while "valid.")

I'd like to think knowing nobody's an antag gives everyone a bit more license to antag within limits and according to stakes established within the round. I like greenshifts as an opportunity to run more sensitive events knowing it won't kick over an antag's round as much as some people like them as a way to know or hope their round won't as likely get arbitrarily kicked over.

I'm not saying killing greenshifts would be a bad thing, but do you agree that the unpredictable median we're asking people to play towards otherwise might not kill some of the possibilities people imagine being able to realize?

Do we limit player dreams up front to only being realized if the stars align for the bravest players - accepting that it might have a chilling effect on some of them for the sake of everyone having a roll of the dice at antag vs. not antag vs. high-power rare antag existing? Or do we limit expectations in some rounds to dignify some games that can only exist there (like when war ops get called and you know what you're gonna get) accepting that some people will not want to play that game if they know it's on the table?

I don't think there's a no-loss choice here. I think we get complaints like this out of trying to make a big tent sandbox where a lot can happen and people have certain hopes going in. I think it's important not to invalidate those hopes but to be clear about the limits.

Would you prefer if the minimum (announced or real) was a blue star, let's say, and/or if threat reports were removed entirely?
feedback appreciated here <3
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #728659

I should add I have nothing against Greenshifts, but IMHO nobody should know they're Greenshifts. Keep that scary factor up.

(EDIT: Not sure how that would work with the star announcements?? [replace green star announcements with whatever one has the next lowest threat?])
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #728664

tl;dring my shit:

the price of anything happening in any round may be that some things people hope for happen in no rounds, or fewer rounds than they have a reasonable shot at
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #728665

kayozz wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm I should add I have nothing against Greenshifts, but IMHO nobody should know they're Greenshifts. Keep that scary factor up.

(EDIT: Not sure how that would work with the star announcements?? [replace green star announcements with whatever one has the next lowest threat?])
that'll be my policy suggestion if I understand what dendy's getting at - axe threat reports entirely, every round starts green until raised in-round
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #728666

Higgin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 pm tl;dring my shit:

the price of anything happening in any round may be that some things people hope for happen in no rounds, or fewer rounds than they have a reasonable shot at
Yours is a very empathetic position, and I respect it. I also respect the players that want to do their greenshift long-term projects, and all. I just personally think that when we have like, MUCH higher suicides on a greenshift than otherwise, it's a very evident fact that a lot of people don't like them. Even most long-term projects CAN be accomplished on a shift with antags, I just think it's a matter of doing all the rolling with the punches along the way. Dynamic makes that harder, often, but I also personally like that it's such a... Dynamic game. Y'know?

Threat Reports are also a really cool feature, I think. Maybe shifts like a Blue Star can leave it on Green Alert to start, since it's just information of enemy movements in the wider sector? We could reflavor it a bit to make more sense in the universe.
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #728668

Higgin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:06 pm
kayozz wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm I should add I have nothing against Greenshifts, but IMHO nobody should know they're Greenshifts. Keep that scary factor up.

that'll be my policy suggestion if I understand what dendy's getting at - axe threat reports entirely, every round starts green until raised in-round
Mind me asking what the formula for raising it is though? My meagre understanding is that it's split between starting threat level (i.e star colour) vs time passed (i.e start/midround) vs casualties?
I might be very wrong here.

I don't think axing reports is a good move, but Captain should be able to request such data for a price/cost.
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #728669

Threat Reports are also a really cool feature, I think. Maybe shifts like a Blue Star can leave it on Green Alert to start, since it's just information of enemy movements in the wider sector? We could reflavor it a bit to make more sense in the universe.
Make every shift start on a green report until the Captain has enough credits/ Research points to purchase the actual data? And then 'oh btw it's a black star'.

Fuck the meta, right?
Last edited by kayozz on Tue May 14, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #728670

DrAmazing343 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 pm
Higgin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 pm tl;dring my shit:

[...]

Maybe so - or the threat report range could be widened and the categories lessened so it's more of a "low/medium/high" threat advisory in which the low category can include greenshifts, or maybe even the medium category, in combination with considering what the random events controller is set at (since it's perfectly happy to throw in antags too.)
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #728672

^ Low/medium/high is more sinister than the actual colours. I like it.
Following on from my above idea, maybe that's all we get at round start, then if someone pays whatever, then we get a final report?

And yeah low could include greenshift, without telling anyone it's a greenshift.
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #728673

kayozz wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:14 pm
Mind me asking what the formula for raising it is though? My meagre understanding is that it's split between starting threat level (i.e star colour) vs time passed (i.e start/midround) vs casualties?
I might be very wrong here.

I don't think axing reports is a good move, but Captain should be able to request such data for a price/cost.
That's also a cool idea - an IC way to augur the round a little bit and something for command to do (or not.)

The formula for threat reports is largely based on the starting pool of threat (budget) Dynamic starts to play with.

#define FAKE_GREENSHIFT_FORM_CHANCE 15
#define FAKE_REPORT_CHANCE 8
#define PULSAR_REPORT_CHANCE 8
#define REPORT_NEG_DIVERGENCE -15
#define REPORT_POS_DIVERGENCE 15

[...]

Code: Select all

/// Generate the advisory level depending on the shown threat level.
/datum/controller/subsystem/dynamic/proc/generate_advisory_level()
	var/advisory_string = ""
	if (prob(PULSAR_REPORT_CHANCE))
		if(HAS_TRAIT(SSstation, STATION_TRAIT_BANANIUM_SHIPMENTS))
			advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Clown Planet</b></center><BR>"
			advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Clown Planet! Our bike horns have picked up on a large bananium stash. Clowns show a large influx of clowns on your station. We highly advise you to slip any threats to keep Honkotrasen assets within the Banana Sector. The Department of Intelligence advises defending chemistry from any clowns that are trying to make baldium or space lube."
			return advisory_string

advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Pulsar Star</b></center><BR>"
		advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Pulsar Star. A large, unknown electromagnetic field has stormed through nearby surveillance equipment, causing major data loss. Partial data was recovered and showed no credible threats to Nanotrasen assets within the Spinward Sector; however, the Department of Intelligence advises maintaining high alert against potential threats due to the lack of complete data."
		return advisory_string

switch(round(shown_threat))
		if(0)
			advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>White Dwarf</b></center><BR>"
			advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is White Dwarf. Our surveillance has ruled out any and all potential threats known in our database, eliminating most risks to our assets in the Spinward Sector. We advise a lower level of security, alongside distributing resources on potential profit."
		if(1 to 19)
			var/show_core_territory = (GLOB.current_living_antags.len > 0)
			if (prob(FAKE_GREENSHIFT_FORM_CHANCE))
				show_core_territory = !show_core_territory

if (show_core_territory)
				advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Blue Star</b></center><BR>"
				advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Blue Star. At this threat advisory, the risk of attacks on Nanotrasen assets within the sector is minor but cannot be ruled out entirely. Remain vigilant."
			else
				advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Green Star</b></center><BR>"
				advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Green Star. Surveillance information shows no credible threats to Nanotrasen assets within the Spinward Sector at this time. As always, the Department of Intelligence advises maintaining vigilance against potential threats, regardless of a lack of known threats."
		if(20 to 39)
			advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Yellow Star</b></center><BR>"
			advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Yellow Star. Surveillance shows a credible risk of enemy attack against our assets in the Spinward Sector. We advise a heightened level of security alongside maintaining vigilance against potential threats."
		if(40 to 65)
			advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Orange Star</b></center><BR>"
			advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Orange Star. Upon reviewing your sector's intelligence, the Department has determined that the risk of enemy activity is moderate to severe. At this advisory, we recommend maintaining a higher degree of security and reviewing red alert protocols with command and the crew."
		if(66 to 79)
			advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Red Star</b></center><BR>"
			advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Red Star. The Department of Intelligence has decrypted Cybersun communications suggesting a high likelihood of attacks on Nanotrasen assets within the Spinward Sector. Stations in the region are advised to remain highly vigilant for signs of enemy activity and to be on high alert."
		if(80 to 99)
			advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Black Orbit</b></center><BR>"
			advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Black Orbit. Your sector's local communications network is currently undergoing a blackout, and we are therefore unable to accurately judge enemy movements within the region. However, information passed to us by GDI suggests a high amount of enemy activity in the sector, indicative of an impending attack. Remain on high alert and vigilant against any other potential threats."
		if(100)
			advisory_string += "Advisory Level: <b>Midnight Sun</b></center><BR>"
			advisory_string += "Your sector's advisory level is Midnight Sun. Credible information passed to us by GDI suggests that the Syndicate is preparing to mount a major concerted offensive on Nanotrasen assets in the Spinward Sector to cripple our foothold there. All stations should remain on high alert and prepared to defend themselves."

/datum/controller/subsystem/dynamic/proc/setup_shown_threat()
	if (prob(FAKE_REPORT_CHANCE))
		shown_threat = rand(1, 100)
	else
		shown_threat = clamp(threat_level + rand(REPORT_NEG_DIVERGENCE, REPORT_POS_DIVERGENCE), 0, 100)

var/greenshift = GLOB.dynamic_forced_extended || (threat_level < min_threat && shown_threat < min_threat) //if both shown and real threat are below any ruleset, its extended time
	SSstation.generate_station_goals(greenshift ? INFINITY : CONFIG_GET(number/station_goal_budget))
This is the code governing threat reports.

You can see the chances above.

Greenshift occurs if no antags can spawn and the report isn't lying to say there's enough threat for antags to spawn*. Say, you get 2 threat. Should be a greenshift.
8%: fake report, report is bullshit.
8%: Pulsar Star, no reliable report.
If Blue Star, 1-19 threat (shown, not real - with more than one antag,) 15% chance fake greenshift report.
If none of those, report reflects reality.

*Keep in mind: positive and negative divergences skew the report. They can go between -15 to 15 threat either way. This isn't station divergencies - this is just added randomness.
Last edited by Higgin on Tue May 14, 2024 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #728674

I like threat reports purely because I think it is funny when they are a lie
PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #728675

the elegant solution is to make threat levels a lie so often that nobody takes the purported "greenshift" seriously when it does come
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dendydoom » #728676

thanks for the thoughtful replies. i'll have another essay to deploy but in the interim i'd like to say that i have no desire to stop roundstart threat reports.

i used to think that it might be nice to make the report lie more often, but i've since questioned this - i think it would lead to people just ignoring it outright and using it as an indicator of "threat report printed, i am now authorized to destroy antags" rather than actually reading it and taking the opportunity to use that information as a catalyst to create some sort of narrative for the round. i really like captains who will take the report and make actual announcements to the crew, delegate to command with this new knowledge of what the threat is going to be like, etc. if captains get used to the report lying way more often than not, then i think they'd view this sort of thing as a waste of time and stop doing it.
NSFW:
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #728677

threat reports lying is the biggest dumbest mistake we ever made. i no longer care for them at all. same reason nobody read secret’s threat reports. im remembering when dynamic reports were accurate and captains would announce it and all the crew would talk about it. it was great. i literally cannot think of the last time someone gave a shit about the threat report
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #728678

dendydoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:43 pm thanks for the thoughtful replies. i'll have another essay to deploy but in the interim i'd like to say that i have no desire to stop roundstart threat reports.

i used to think that it might be nice to make the report lie more often, but i've since questioned this - i think it would lead to people just ignoring it outright and using it as an indicator of "threat report printed, i am now authorized to destroy antags" rather than actually reading it and taking the opportunity to use that information as a catalyst to create some sort of narrative for the round. i really like captains who will take the report and make actual announcements to the crew, delegate to command with this new knowledge of what the threat is going to be like, etc. if captains get used to the report lying way more often than not, then i think they'd view this sort of thing as a waste of time and stop doing it.
would it be better if they were more reliable in this case? you've got an 8% chance of it flat-out lying and random skew that can take it 30 pts. different from the true value - then an additional 15% of it handing you a low-threat fake greenshift if you somehow got a (real or fake) blue star (after the random skew, which could conceivably give you a fake greenshift at 34 threat)

this last bit would be redundant if greenshifts were removed, but will wait warmly on response and essay
kayozz

Post by kayozz » #728679

Lower the false report chance by about 1-3% , that way 'most' reports are accurate. Don't announce greenshifts as being greenshifts (i.e being threat free) - put greenshifts in a low security threat category. Then let HOP/Cap buy the data later for more accurate results.

What this solves ^ people not believing reports, makes reports more accurate.
People don't meta the greenshift.
Gives head roles something to do/announce/take action.
Last edited by kayozz on Tue May 14, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PapaMichael

Post by PapaMichael » #728680

dendydoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:43 pm thanks for the thoughtful replies. i'll have another essay to deploy but in the interim i'd like to say that i have no desire to stop roundstart threat reports.

hmmm we're delving into code issue

but what if it was reworked to a) lie a LOT but b) instead of giving a level actually drop a hint about the type of threat that the station is facing (obviously would only work for roundstart under current dynamic)
like "reports of potential revolutionary activity on your station", etc

i feel like something like that would actually be read and acted upon even if it had even odds of being wrong
and it's oozing with that paranoia, it practically begs the crew to be preparing and keeping their eyes peeled for threats that may or may not exist

i was gonna apologize for spitballing half-baked ideas but damn it this is the players club, i'm not apologizing for shit
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #728681

Why are the people in my walls ranting about greenshift
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #728684

I didn't read the whole thread yet but I would like to say this:

I really like having announced green shifts. Genuinely. It allows me to do a BYOS project without a dragon going in and blowing it up, or revs happening and having the round end early before it can be finished. I also really like being able to do RP without needing to worry about threats. But, I don't need to know if it's a greenshift for the RP thing. But I do need to know if it is a greenshift for the BYOS.

The main point I have is that engineers that like their projects can use greenshifts for the purpose of projects, and they know they will have to worry less about needing to leave it or having the project get destroyed!

I'd like announced greenshifts to stay.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #728689

Timonk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:13 am Why are the people in my walls ranting about greenshift
because it turns out that OP jumped the gun and there is no thread to peanut and at this point there probably isnt going to be one
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #728690

at this point should an actual policy thread be made
DrAmazing343

Post by DrAmazing343 » #728694

PapaMichael wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:03 pm
dendydoom wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:43 pm -cap does cap things is good-
-not apologizing for snip-
Good, don't apologize for shit, your idea fucking rules. More specific but more inconsistent threat reports would kinda fucking rule- sometimes, even especially as that antag, I'd argue.

Both ways, you get a smokescreen off an over-escalation on a presumption, OR you know to prepare for subterfuge against opponents with a tip-off.

I liked my challenge modes, though, so some chimp is gonna whimper about BWUH THEY KNEW I WAS ANTEG FROM THIS!!! meanwhile I'm thrusting my fist skyward in triumph
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #728698

As captain I enjoy hiding the threat level from most of the crew because realistically only your security and 1-2 command staff should be aware of the danger, and everyone else should be on a need-to-know basis.
TypicalRig
Byond Username: TypicalRig

Post by TypicalRig » #728700

what if they announced it before the roundstart (and in big letters next to the join button if a late join) so that players that hate it have zero excuse to throw a fit ingame. a lot of people enjoy them, like knowing it's a good thing so they can do projects they aren't normally capable of, and base their rounds around that. in a game where people have finite time in their day it seems pretty reasonable to want to know if a threat is chiller than most so they don't feel like their time is wasted on things that take longer. usually we have a ton of green shift saboteurs that use excuses like "i wouldn't have gone medical or sec if i knew it was a green shift" or heads trying to speed shuttle call because they only play for sec.

i personally hate no threat rounds (with a few exceptions here and there) but people that throw a fit over them ingame are toddlers and i'd be happier if they were deincentivized to join the round entirely in advance since let's be real crying over greenshift is just thinly veiled OOC in IC. hiding the announcement won't do anything because people can and already do speedrun end the round because there is no (clearly visible) threat..
TheLoLSwat wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:53 pm As captain I enjoy hiding the threat level from most of the crew because realistically only your security and 1-2 command staff should be aware of the danger, and everyone else should be on a need-to-know basis.
i like doing this as cap but you have to quickly delete the threat report and burn the printed out papers because AIs have a nasty habit of announcing the star
iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #728701

Jacquerel wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:37 am
Timonk wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:13 am Why are the people in my walls ranting about greenshift
because it turns out that OP jumped the gun and there is no thread to peanut and at this point there probably isnt going to be one
i put a picture of a possum in the op so you have to be nice to me
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #728710

thats true its a very nice possum I am sorry