Character mugshots in chat

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Glebguy

Character mugshots in chat

Post by Glebguy » #25967

Basically, when someone speaks they have the mugshot of their character appearing before text. Sometimes I can get confused for a couple of seconds after a crowd of people speaking and I need time to identify who said what.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Re: Character mugshots in chat

Post by Reimoo » #25973

I'm no coder but that seems unnecessarily complicated. Instead, I think the job indicator script should be on by default, to be honest.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #25975

It can be done easily if I ever port Dismemberment, just use the same proc I use to make head items match the head of the person it came from.
私は完璧
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #25992

Seems like this should only be something possible for characters on screen (complicating the code requirements.) Radio speak is not really the sort of thing that should be broadcasting your face around.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #25994

cedarbridge wrote:Seems like this should only be something possible for characters on screen (complicating the code requirements.) Radio speak is not really the sort of thing that should be broadcasting your face around.
Radio chat previously had the image of whatever you were using to communicate, such as an intercom or headset. This was eventually removed because it was inconsistent (how can you tell that dude is talking from a headset?) and could be used to meta. However it's a good proof-of-concept. Adding an icon is easy.
The harder part is getting the icon to add. It'll have to wait until we have an easy way to get that, like Remie said. Even then, generating the icon every time someone says something could get intensive, so it should cache the icon somehow.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #25995

Cheridan wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Seems like this should only be something possible for characters on screen (complicating the code requirements.) Radio speak is not really the sort of thing that should be broadcasting your face around.
Radio chat previously had the image of whatever you were using to communicate, such as an intercom or headset. This was eventually removed because it was inconsistent (how can you tell that dude is talking from a headset?) and could be used to meta. However it's a good proof-of-concept. Adding an icon is easy.
The harder part is getting the icon to add. It'll have to wait until we have an easy way to get that, like Remie said. Even then, generating the icon every time someone says something could get intensive, so it should cache the icon somehow.

With Dismemberment I made a human icon cache, so I have some experience with caches now.
Once Miauw's glorious rewrite goes in, I can port just the head icon proc and start caching player heads.
Maybe have a cool like, silhouette with a quesiton mark for a face for "Unkown"s.
私は完璧
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #25996

This shows the character's current face when they type? Good way to make voice changers more meta-able.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #25997

Cipher3 wrote:This shows the character's current face when they type? Good way to make voice changers more meta-able.
I assume it wouldn't work over radios.
And voice changers aren't really that smart a thing to use in person with someone.
私は完璧
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #25998

Cipher3 wrote:This shows the character's current face when they type? Good way to make voice changers more meta-able.
Might have the cool side effect of reducing the number of nerds running around with gas masks on all shift.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #26019

cedarbridge wrote:
Might have the cool side effect of reducing the number of nerds running around with gas masks on all shift.
One step closer to being a server where people actually RP-
Who am I kidding, that's never happening.
:^)
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #26032

Remie Richards wrote:And voice changers aren't really that smart a thing to use in person with someone.
What

If this thing won't show headgear and show real face, not only it would be useless if the owner wears headgear of any kind, but it would be incredibly metagamey. So yeah, if this is done, it should be done with all headgear on the icon, not the face.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #26060

I'd like to mention that having a radio appear in front of messages received over radio would be hard, since radios don't speak themselves. The speaker is actually a "virtual" speaker and Hear() is called directly by Broadcast_Message().
It's possible to set the icon of the virtual speaker to a generic radio so you can get a radio in front of messages heard over radio, but you won't be able to have a specific radio.

Mugshots for normal messages are very possible and even easy to do, though! (well, if you don't mind the entire image of people appearing. Mugshots would be a bit more complicated and should probably be cached in the speaker to reduce lag)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #26093

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:And voice changers aren't really that smart a thing to use in person with someone.
What

If this thing won't show headgear and show real face, not only it would be useless if the owner wears headgear of any kind, but it would be incredibly metagamey. So yeah, if this is done, it should be done with all headgear on the icon, not the face.

Voice changers aren't a smart thing to wear when you're talking to someone in person. Over a radio is fine, But when you've slipped up and you hair doesn't match the person you're faking, or you're wearing the wrong gear, it'll really give you away.

And how I'd do the mugshots is cache them by name, and since voice changers change the name you use in chat, you'd be using their face in chat Thus, no issue.
私は完璧
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #26110

Er, and what if they get a haircut, a plastic surgery or become a monkey? What if they grow a beard? What if they are Unknown (aka voice changer without ID)?

That's besides that recognizing one's face solely by voice makes no sense, especially if you've never seen it before. Any mask or headgear will make this feature useless, as well, since you will not be able to recognize the face of the speaker.

If you're not going to make it so all headgear is shown, then don't do anything at all.