80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

General SS13 Chat
Tlaltecuhtli
 
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:16 am
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Tlaltecuhtli » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:20 am #486751

either demote these trainermins for recluiting more americans or start giving australians admin privileges
Last edited by Tlaltecuhtli on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
terranaut
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:43 pm
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby terranaut » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:58 am #486762

put me back on the admin team :)
Image

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

User avatar
subject217
Github User
 
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby subject217 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:22 am #486765

first: there are 68 people with admin powers currently and i'd say maybe half of those people log on very infrequently as a ballpark guess
second: we will give more australians admin powers when australia produces better admin candidates
thankfully former admin
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20553

User avatar
Karp
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Karp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 am #486766

I forgot where kor said it but we've continually and consistently had an issue with a lack of administration on lowpop for 11+ years and "just get more lowpop admins" has not worked as a solution that entire time

it's not an issue we can solve with "lol just admin more people" because people will eventually get burnt out or their life schedules will move around so they cant fill the timeslot, it's just an awkward as fuck timezone to fill that's at the perfect intersection of bad time for everyone
Image
Image

User avatar
lmwevil
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:09 pm
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby lmwevil » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:40 pm #486789

as an aussie i can safely say that you don't want more aussie admins

also yknow, this isn't policy it's a complaint

User avatar
TehSteveo
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:31 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TehSteveo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:06 pm #486794

Admin coverage has always been a problem. Even when we had a lot Aussiemins, there was never had enough for certain times. As I said in previous statements about coverage, being an admin isn't a job, admins are not paid for this thus they can choose when to come on and when to go, when they want to actually admin or actually play this game.

If something happens, just let it happen and embrace the chaos of the game. If something consistently bad happens such as someone who consistently breaks the rules and griefs then Ahelp it, ping people on Discord with the round ID, and if you have to PM the admins on the forums as someone will take their time to investigate logs.
Freedom

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:47 pm #486796

TehSteveo wrote:If something happens, just let it happen and embrace the chaos of the game. If something consistently bad happens such as someone who consistently breaks the rules and griefs then Ahelp it, ping people on Discord with the round ID, and if you have to PM the admins on the forums as someone will take their time to investigate logs.


Except the issue that happened early this morning. There were two griefers on Bagil, one by the name of Smeggy Crumbles, and one Abraham something. Smeggy plasmaflooded and n2o flooded as non-antag, then tried to kill the warden. Abraham just BOH bombs the brig out of nowhere. For about an hour and a half, I ping supportmins on discord, despite quite a few being active and online in a non-busy/non-away status, and talking in various channels, none respond to the call for help on bagil. So I get other people to try and ping supportmins, still nothing. DB apparently goes down during this round, so once the round finally ends about an hour and 45 minutes in, no log is saved on atlanta-ned's statbus. The griefing goes completely unpunished, and likely will happen again sometime during these 'dead-zone' hours. I feel if people have the supportmin role, they need to accept the responsibility behind it, and get online when pinged if they're online or lose the role entirely, otherwise actual griefing can go unpunished because they 'didn't feel like responding'.

Edit: The point of this is that it's not that there aren't admins on around these times, it's that there is, but none seem to want to administrate despite that being the exact reason they're admins.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Nabski
 
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: TN
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Nabski » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:20 pm #486798

TheMythicGhost wrote:Stuff

Just because you're able to use discord doesn't mean you can get to a computer and log in to space station.

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:25 pm #486800

Nabski wrote:
TheMythicGhost wrote:Stuff

Just because you're able to use discord doesn't mean you can get to a computer and log in to space station.


Sick bants, but the supportmins in question were not on mobile.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
TehSteveo
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:31 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TehSteveo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:01 pm #486811

TheMythicGhost wrote:
TehSteveo wrote:If something happens, just let it happen and embrace the chaos of the game. If something consistently bad happens such as someone who consistently breaks the rules and griefs then Ahelp it, ping people on Discord with the round ID, and if you have to PM the admins on the forums as someone will take their time to investigate logs.


Except the issue that happened early this morning. There were two griefers on Bagil, one by the name of Smeggy Crumbles, and one Abraham something. Smeggy plasmaflooded and n2o flooded as non-antag, then tried to kill the warden. Abraham just BOH bombs the brig out of nowhere. For about an hour and a half, I ping supportmins on discord, despite quite a few being active and online in a non-busy/non-away status, and talking in various channels, none respond to the call for help on bagil. So I get other people to try and ping supportmins, still nothing. DB apparently goes down during this round, so once the round finally ends about an hour and 45 minutes in, no log is saved on atlanta-ned's statbus. The griefing goes completely unpunished, and likely will happen again sometime during these 'dead-zone' hours. I feel if people have the supportmin role, they need to accept the responsibility behind it, and get online when pinged if they're online or lose the role entirely, otherwise actual griefing can go unpunished because they 'didn't feel like responding'.

Edit: The point of this is that it's not that there aren't admins on around these times, it's that there is, but none seem to want to administrate despite that being the exact reason they're admins.
Just because they're on Discord doesn't mean they're home or available to log into a game. Many are at work, classes, or just not near a computer but are on mobile. Even if they are at a computer doesn't mean they can or are held to immediately log on. The whole entitlement for demanding an admin is ridiculous.

Now, did you get the round ID number during this whole time as we can use our tools to pull the log?
Freedom

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:37 pm #486819

TehSteveo wrote:DB apparently goes down during this round, so once the round finally ends about an hour and 45 minutes in, no log is saved on atlanta-ned's statbus. The griefing goes completely unpunished, and likely will happen again sometime during these 'dead-zone' hours.

Steveo, you forgot that part.

If Mythic does remember the id then that would be nice since maybe, just maybe, the logs are still saved otherwise someone is just gonna have to search through all the logs until they find the right round. This assumes that the logs even exist.

User avatar
TehSteveo
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:31 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TehSteveo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 pm #486822

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
TehSteveo wrote:DB apparently goes down during this round, so once the round finally ends about an hour and 45 minutes in, no log is saved on atlanta-ned's statbus. The griefing goes completely unpunished, and likely will happen again sometime during these 'dead-zone' hours.

Steveo, you forgot that part.

If Mythic does remember the id then that would be nice since maybe, just maybe, the logs are still saved otherwise someone is just gonna have to search through all the logs until they find the right round. This assumes that the logs even exist.
I read that and It's speculation on their part as they're assuming it went down as it can quite well be Statbus having a fit.

We still have the logs internally with admin tools and the parsed logs. If they looked at the round ID in the status bar then it saves us time rather than, "Well it happened in the weeee hours of the morning of this day." Doesn't help matters.
Freedom

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:00 pm #486823

TehSteveo wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:
TehSteveo wrote:DB apparently goes down during this round, so once the round finally ends about an hour and 45 minutes in, no log is saved on atlanta-ned's statbus. The griefing goes completely unpunished, and likely will happen again sometime during these 'dead-zone' hours.

Steveo, you forgot that part.

If Mythic does remember the id then that would be nice since maybe, just maybe, the logs are still saved otherwise someone is just gonna have to search through all the logs until they find the right round. This assumes that the logs even exist.
I read that and It's speculation on their part as they're assuming it went down as it can quite well be Statbus having a fit.

We still have the logs internally with admin tools and the parsed logs. If they looked at the round ID in the status bar then it saves us time rather than, "Well it happened in the weeee hours of the morning of this day." Doesn't help matters.


Assuming the logs are saved serverside, 104948 is the round. The point still stands though.

Edit: As a side note, I get people have personal lives and have matters to attend to in real life, but actually being available (not on mobile, not away, not busy, and not offline) and talking on different channels in the same discord while ignoring the ping to the supportmin role, while being supportmin is the issue here, perhaps worthy of a separate policy discussion.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Nabski
 
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: TN
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Nabski » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:11 pm #486825

TheMythicGhost wrote:
TehSteveo wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:
TehSteveo wrote:DB apparently goes down during this round, so once the round finally ends about an hour and 45 minutes in, no log is saved on atlanta-ned's statbus. The griefing goes completely unpunished, and likely will happen again sometime during these 'dead-zone' hours.

Steveo, you forgot that part.

If Mythic does remember the id then that would be nice since maybe, just maybe, the logs are still saved otherwise someone is just gonna have to search through all the logs until they find the right round. This assumes that the logs even exist.
I read that and It's speculation on their part as they're assuming it went down as it can quite well be Statbus having a fit.

We still have the logs internally with admin tools and the parsed logs. If they looked at the round ID in the status bar then it saves us time rather than, "Well it happened in the weeee hours of the morning of this day." Doesn't help matters.


Assuming the logs are saved serverside, 104948 is the round. The point still stands though.

Edit: As a side note, I get people have personal lives and have matters to attend to in real life, but actually being available (not on mobile, not away, not busy, and not offline) and talking on different channels in the same discord while ignoring the ping to the supportmin role, while being supportmin is the issue here, perhaps worthy of a separate policy discussion.

So go make that thread.

"What additional requirements for the opt-in support ping for the volunteer job should be required"

It'll be right up there with the "give me a antag token when the server crashes" thread.

User avatar
BeeSting12
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby BeeSting12 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:19 pm #486827

not all of us are neets like you
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day


[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:24 pm #486828

So here's the issue with being actually active, and having the job as a volunteer support role. Imagine I signed up to work as a volunteer for a hospital, and someone calls me in because of something or another, and instead of reporting in, I ignore it to play fortnite, apex, sekiro, etc? The main issue here is that it undermines the public trust in the administration because the one role meant for support requests is going ignored by the people inside of it (actually inactive supportmins excluded from this). If the people don't feel like being a supportmin, and the responsibility it does entail, then perhaps opt-out, and talk about recruiting more. Accountability is something that should be addressed, but again it's a complex topic here because life is unexpected, and not all supportmins are at fault here.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Nalzul
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 pm
Byond Username: Blargety

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Nalzul » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 pm #486838

TheMythicGhost wrote:I feel if people have the supportmin role, they need to accept the responsibility behind it.

The Supportmin role has no additional benefits to the admins who take it. Additionally, Supportmins are not hired from within the admins, it's something you opt into to help when pinged. Comparing the two (admins and hospital volunteers) is a bit disingenuous because, as a volunteer, you are being called specifically by your boss. Whereas with admins you are being called in by the community in a general and broad way, which is to say it's up to you to pick up the phone.

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm #486839

Nabski wrote:"What additional requirements for the opt-in support ping for the volunteer job should be required"

It'll be right up there with the "give me a antag token when the server crashes" thread.

Supportmins should do things =/= GIMME THE TRAITOR ANTAG TOKEN SO I CAN BE TRAITOR IN THE MIDDLE OF REVS
Supportmins MUST help whenever I ping =/= guys, the server crashed in the last five seconds of the round. antag token please.
Supportmins have to do shit if they're active and just shitposting on discord otherwise they die =/= how do i crash ss13 for my wizard antag token.

I can see the retardation in a thread like that however there is a difference. It's not like Mythic is asking for antag because rshoe94 just crashed the entire ss13 database gosh darn it. They just want griefers dealt with when they fucking call for help and see memelord mcgee shitposting. Also, even someone who is active can have valid reason to not go (too tired, spent hours doing that shit already, wants to play a video game, is busy but not discord-busy-tagged) so that thread would go nowhere anyways since how the fuck would you know?

User avatar
wubli
 
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 6:10 am
Byond Username: Wubli

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby wubli » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:46 pm #486843

TheMythicGhost wrote:So here's the issue with being actually active, and having the job as a volunteer support role. Imagine I signed up to work as a volunteer for a hospital, and someone calls me in because of something or another, and instead of reporting in, I ignore it to play fortnite, apex, sekiro, etc?

i legitimately do not understand how can you even dare to compare being an admin in a game to being a volunteer for a hospital
part time admin ♡ full time e̸̷͘l̕͝d̕r̛͘͢͟͡i҉҉t́͟͠c̷͝h̸̡͠ ̀̕͟ą͘͘͠b҉̕͠ò̸̡͢͞m̸̀̕͜͡i͞ǹ̕͟͞͝ą̸͘͟͞t͘͢͜i͏̵̛́͝ó̡͢ń̀͘͘
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i'm here to try

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:49 pm #486845

wubli wrote:
TheMythicGhost wrote:So here's the issue with being actually active, and having the job as a volunteer support role. Imagine I signed up to work as a volunteer for a hospital, and someone calls me in because of something or another, and instead of reporting in, I ignore it to play fortnite, apex, sekiro, etc?

i legitimately do not understand how can you even dare to compare being an admin in a game to being a volunteer for a hospital


Semantics. I could have said any other volunteer role and you would have picked it apart all the same. The context is similar, just worded poorly.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:54 pm #486848

Nalzul wrote:
TheMythicGhost wrote:I feel if people have the supportmin role, they need to accept the responsibility behind it.

The Supportmin role has no additional benefits to the admins who take it. Additionally, Supportmins are not hired from within the admins, it's something you opt into to help when pinged. Comparing the two (admins and hospital volunteers) is a bit disingenuous because, as a volunteer, you are being called specifically by your boss. Whereas with admins you are being called in by the community in a general and broad way, which is to say it's up to you to pick up the phone.


The difference in just being random cry wolf calls here is that it was not only I requesting supportmins to the server the exact round this occurred, and it isn't the first time in the last six months I've seen this occur. The graveyard hours tend to be grief central, and when an admin finally does arrive, they berate the player for not pinging them sooner (as has happened in the past), or simply don't respond to the support request at all. If they don't respond within the round, and berate the player for the situation when they arrive later on, what is the point in a supportmin role?

Additionally, I did not state it had additional power to it, I merely mentioned it exists to give players the means to contact a team who has volunteered to respond to issues that require support on the servers. If a supportmin is active (the conditions here aforementioned), but decides not to respond because they're lazy, it undermines the trust the community has in the ability of the role itself.
Last edited by TheMythicGhost on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
subject217
Github User
 
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby subject217 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:55 pm #486849

ill explain this very simply respii

this is a video game and it is not real life. we do not have the obligation, need, desire, or the ability to actually organize and plan admin coverage 24/7 for the server. this is not like volunteer work in real life. this is a video game.
thankfully former admin
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20553

User avatar
Qbopper
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Qbopper » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:57 pm #486850

volunteering for a job, any kind at all, is completely different from volunteering to admin and if you can't see why that's the case then you're probably arguing in bad faith

this thread is a joke and every time this subject comes up in the future it will continue to be laughed at

no community trust is being undermined when admins are occupied with life - admins are not paid to admin and if you have that big of a problem with a supportmin deciding to use some of their free time in a way that isn't addressing your issue in a round based game where the problem will likely go away anyways then you need to chill

if it's legitimately and seriously a critical issue then take logs or a video to prove what's going on later so when someone responds you can have someone do something about it
Limey wrote:its too late.

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:57 pm #486851

subject217 wrote:ill explain this very simply respii

this is a video game and it is not real life. we do not have the obligation, need, desire, or the ability to actually organize and plan admin coverage 24/7 for the server. this is not like volunteer work in real life. this is a video game.


Not saying it's not, Subject. I'm saying, the Supportmin tag should only exist on those that will actively answer support requests if they are available. It's not a stigma or shame to opt-out if you don't feel like having it, but if it exists, it should be at least to a degree reliable. I'm not wrong for suggesting that, am I?
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
wubli
 
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 6:10 am
Byond Username: Wubli

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby wubli » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:00 pm #486852

TheMythicGhost wrote:
wubli wrote:
TheMythicGhost wrote:So here's the issue with being actually active, and having the job as a volunteer support role. Imagine I signed up to work as a volunteer for a hospital, and someone calls me in because of something or another, and instead of reporting in, I ignore it to play fortnite, apex, sekiro, etc?

i legitimately do not understand how can you even dare to compare being an admin in a game to being a volunteer for a hospital

Semantics. I could have said any other volunteer role and you would have picked it apart all the same. The context is similar, just worded poorly.

context is important. like subject said, this is a videogame. i've brought in a lot of new admins and i'm constantly trying to bring more. i cannot force them at gunpoint and i appreciate what they do.

and no, supportmin didn't exist before. now, you have the chance to ping admins who maybe will be willing to help you if they have the time and feel like it. we're not forcing them to respond to any calls. it's not something people are entitled to.
part time admin ♡ full time e̸̷͘l̕͝d̕r̛͘͢͟͡i҉҉t́͟͠c̷͝h̸̡͠ ̀̕͟ą͘͘͠b҉̕͠ò̸̡͢͞m̸̀̕͜͡i͞ǹ̕͟͞͝ą̸͘͟͞t͘͢͜i͏̵̛́͝ó̡͢ń̀͘͘
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i'm here to try

Tlaltecuhtli
 
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:16 am
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Tlaltecuhtli » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:23 pm #486858

i give you a death line admin team, after 1/4/19 i ll organize anti grief squads and solve problems icly

User avatar
Denton
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Denton » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:46 pm #486860

TheMythicGhost wrote:Imagine I signed up to work as a volunteer for a hospital

Are you really high or did you honestly compare being an admin for a 2D clown punching simulator to volunteering at a hospotal
Image

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 pm #486861

Denton wrote:
TheMythicGhost wrote:Imagine I signed up to work as a volunteer for a hospital

Are you really high or did you honestly compare being an admin for a 2D clown punching simulator to volunteering at a hospotal


I love how people are cherrypicking that instead of the argument.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Gigapuddi420
 
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 am
Location: Dorms
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Gigapuddi420 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:49 pm #486862

TheMythicGhost wrote:I'm saying, the Supportmin tag should only exist on those that will actively answer support requests if they are available

The Supportmin tag exists for admins who generally want to try and make themselves more available for players to ping when there is a problem. People ping the role and they all hear it and depending on their circumstances they might go and handle it. If we had actual requirements to answer supportmin pings whenever these people were online with the tag no one would want to take it, people admin on their own terms because they are all volunteers for a video game. Efforts are made to improve coverage but admin hours will always be on the individual admins terms.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.

User avatar
Qbopper
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Qbopper » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:51 pm #486863

TheMythicGhost wrote:So here's the issue with being actually active, and having the job as a volunteer support role. Imagine I signed up to work as a volunteer, and someone calls me in because of something or another, and instead of reporting in, I ignore it to play fortnite, apex, sekiro, etc? The main issue here is that it undermines the public trust in the administration because the one role meant for support requests is going ignored by the people inside of it (actually inactive supportmins excluded from this). If the people don't feel like being a supportmin, and the responsibility it does entail, then perhaps opt-out, and talk about recruiting more. Accountability is something that should be addressed, but again it's a complex topic here because life is unexpected, and not all supportmins are at fault here.


i removed the offending part of your post

it is still a stupid as shit post
Limey wrote:its too late.

User avatar
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Arianya » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:53 pm #486864

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:i give you a death line admin team, after 1/4/19 i ll organize anti grief squads and solve problems icly


Then on 1/4/19 you'll be banned for metagrudging, metacomms and probably whatever other rule infractions you incur along the way.

Also as a forum administrator, I'm going to warn you that you're treading very closely along rule 1:

1. No spam. (Contentless posts, repeated posts, off topic posts)
IE: when you post: think: "what will this post bring to the conversation".
Posts only designed to antagonize or otherwise escalate the situation are generally considered spam. Try to be civil about your grievances

(Emphasis mine)

It's fine to complain about a perceived problem, but at the point when you're just trying to stir up drama over it it's a waste of your time and everyone else in the thread to engage in it.

Organizing a single admin to cover 2 hours a day, assuming they were all available and willing to work 7 days a week without interruption, would take 48 admins by itself to cover all 4 servers. This would be with a single admin per server, which is generally speaking not workable when you're looking at high pop. Realistically you'd need more then double that number just to have a reasonable rota that doesn't require people to log on every day. And this is even assuming you could find good administrative candidates correctly splayed out throughout the timezones who could even make such a iron-shod commitment to a game . The idea that you are ever going to have 24/7 coverage is frankly a pipe dream.

It's regrettable whenever we have periods that don't have administrative coverage, but this is frankly inevitable, not the least because our playerbase (and thus pool of prospective admins) is not equally spread around the whole globe.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby confused rock » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 pm #486865

think we'd have 2 admins tops if they were obligated to admin whenever physically capable
Image
Image

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:27 pm #486873

Arianya wrote:Then on 1/4/19 you'll be banned for metagrudging, metacomms and probably whatever other rule infractions you incur along the way.

Also as a forum administrator, I'm going to warn you that you're treading very closely along rule 1"

I'm pretty sure that was a joke, Arianya. Not him legitimately saying that he's going to get the boys back together, hand them guns at roundstart, and start mowing down that shitbag griefer plus his posse who bullied him back at space highschool

I don't think his ic gang would involve metacomming anyways if it is actually IC. I can see metagrudge, metagaming, and metafriending (lol) at most however I am sure an IC squad would not include ghost support to monitor all the ghost roles. Remove his post since it is a joke and not policy discussion if you see it that way. After that, delete our posts next. Don't go "listen here buddy you're completely surrounded don't you dare make a move" since it just makes you look a bit petty imo.

edit: then delete mine if you do that
edit 2: seemed a bit too hostile. gonna tone it down.
Last edited by Ayy Lemoh on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby oranges » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:43 pm #486875

karp with all due respect we have never had enough aussie mins, because the majority of the admin team lives in the states and only hires people they know

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:32 pm #486895

Given that a bit of accountability seems out of the window, an alternative would be a board for collecting potentially missed issues/griefing. The requirements could be deliberated on by administration, but a hard requirement of it should be that there were no admins online at the time of the posting, and support could not be contacted during the round the issue occurred (this would be easy to verify with the logs even from a cursory glance). Something to cover 'dead-zone' hours, and could be investigated at any point.

Say we have someone that had been investigated and determined to have been at fault for something, and the admin wanted to contact them, perhaps some form of notification when they next log in to any of the servers to get in touch with administration, or something? I'm not trying to make this a witch-hunt, or witch-trial thread, and I'm not asking for the ban requests thread to be reopened as this, but it should be at least a bit understandable the frustration with seeing griefing go unpunished when there isn't admins on and support is not able to be reached, and having no place to list reports of these issues.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Karp
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Karp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:26 pm #486904

Image

it already exists and we already do that

*EDIT* if someone maliciously disconnects after we're investigating and things seem charged against them they're likely to get a punishment instead of a warning unless they've only done harmless things
Last edited by Karp on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Image

User avatar
TheMythicGhost
 
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby TheMythicGhost » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:29 pm #486905

Karp wrote:Image

it already exists and we already do that


Okay, and the other portion?
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she


deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.

User avatar
Karp
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Karp » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:31 pm #486907

database tickets are coming soon™ and will allow admins to solve unanswered tickets from rounds there are no admins in

(soon means who knows)
Image
Image

User avatar
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby ThanatosRa » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:13 am #486917

You need.Americans on my schedule

I work 1-10pm pt. So im usually up til like 4am
So find an alternate version of me that plays more and you're set.


I domt play enough to be qualified.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am
Thomas Gato - Elderly weirdo.
Chrysanthemum Thorne - Creepy robotics wench.
Rex Eponymous - The Classic

User avatar
subject217
Github User
 
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby subject217 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:40 am #486928

oranges wrote:karp with all due respect we have never had enough aussie mins, because the majority of the admin team lives in the states and only hires people they know

This isn't the reason though, it's a bias you've perceived. There are not enough australian players who are suitable to be admins. That's all there is to it. Otherwise I would jump at the chance to fill the most empty time slot.
thankfully former admin
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20553

User avatar
D&B
 
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:23 am
Location: *teleports behind you*
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby D&B » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:35 am #486938

Bold of you to assume admins are promoted to fill timezones and not just because they're nice to have around
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?

J_Madison wrote:that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you

ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:42 am #486939

This is less of a policy discussion and more of a general discussion on the state of admin hour coverage, so I'll be moving it to General Chat
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
elyina
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:30 pm
Location: burning in hell for my sins
Byond Username: Elyina

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby elyina » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:57 am #486940

If only we had some kind of system to report incidents of serious grief when there aren't admins available...
Image

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby oranges » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:18 am #486943

subject217 wrote:
oranges wrote:karp with all due respect we have never had enough aussie mins, because the majority of the admin team lives in the states and only hires people they know

This isn't the reason though, it's a bias you've perceived. There are not enough australian players who are suitable to be admins. That's all there is to it. Otherwise I would jump at the chance to fill the most empty time slot.

bias :roll:

User avatar
Karp
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Karp » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:21 am #486944

subject217 wrote:
oranges wrote:karp with all due respect we have never had enough aussie mins, because the majority of the admin team lives in the states and only hires people they know

This isn't the reason though, it's a bias you've perceived. There are not enough australian players who are suitable to be admins. That's all there is to it. Otherwise I would jump at the chance to fill the most empty time slot.


tbh i flat out don't think we have enough australians or new zealanders anyways, of the ones I know I think I can count them all on one hand and we already have two on the admin team

I'd love to have more aussies or new zealanders but they don't really exist, and if they do they have fundamental issues with them like subject said which makes them unsuitable admins.

elyina wrote:If only we had some kind of system to report incidents of serious grief when there aren't admins available...


You know as well as I do that ban request was used more as a tool for petty revenge even when there was an admin on to try to get someone punished when you disagreed with an admin ruling, it was purely full of spite and "Oh he did x which slightly crossed the line as a mistake after scrutinizing their every move for a week meaning we have to punish him!", that also ignores the fact that it forces people to make forums accounts to defend themselves or risk getting banned.

Like it or hate it kor's "When the round ends let things reset" mentality is better than the pandora's box of ban requests and resulting grudge audits. Mass grief and shittery when admins are not on if reported to an admin generally gets it punished which nullifies the purpose of ban requests being a solution while conflicts generally are simply a case of "Shit happens" and even if someone minorly overescalated and made a minor warning worthy decision encouraging taking things in stride is far better than encouraging vendettas between players
Image
Image

User avatar
Karp
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Karp » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:23 am #486945

real talk though back when we had admin rank pings on discord I consistently responded to pings of grief and in like 3-6 months of doing it around lowpop I don't think I've ever been called onto the server for genuine mass grief, it's almost always IC issues or someone asking for a tc trade which really makes me doubt the mentality that lowpop is grief city when admins aren't online
Image
Image

User avatar
Qbopper
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Qbopper » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:32 am #486961

oranges wrote:
subject217 wrote:
oranges wrote:karp with all due respect we have never had enough aussie mins, because the majority of the admin team lives in the states and only hires people they know

This isn't the reason though, it's a bias you've perceived. There are not enough australian players who are suitable to be admins. That's all there is to it. Otherwise I would jump at the chance to fill the most empty time slot.

bias :roll:


even if oranges isn't actually going into detail i think he has a point here

you say there are not enough good aussies who deserve admin but if we aren't on during aussie times and don't know enough aussie players how the fuck could we possibly know that
Limey wrote:its too late.

User avatar
Ayy Lemoh
 
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:39 am #486964

Qbopper wrote:even if oranges isn't actually going into detail i think he has a point here

you say there are not enough good aussies who deserve admin but if we aren't on during aussie times and don't know enough aussie players how the fuck could we possibly know that

They just do, Qbopper. They just do.

User avatar
Karp
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Karp » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 am #486975

Qbopper wrote:
oranges wrote:
subject217 wrote:
oranges wrote:karp with all due respect we have never had enough aussie mins, because the majority of the admin team lives in the states and only hires people they know

This isn't the reason though, it's a bias you've perceived. There are not enough australian players who are suitable to be admins. That's all there is to it. Otherwise I would jump at the chance to fill the most empty time slot.

bias :roll:


even if oranges isn't actually going into detail i think he has a point here

you say there are not enough good aussies who deserve admin but if we aren't on during aussie times and don't know enough aussie players how the fuck could we possibly know that


Karp wrote:I forgot where kor said it but we've continually and consistently had an issue with a lack of administration on lowpop for 11+ years and "just get more lowpop admins" has not worked as a solution that entire time

it's not an issue we can solve with "lol just admin more people" because people will eventually get burnt out or their life schedules will move around so they cant fill the timeslot, it's just an awkward as fuck timezone to fill that's at the perfect intersection of bad time for everyone


I've suggested plenty of people who would be good at that timezone but even if they'd get adminned the bigger issue with admins is with their consistency: admin activity can fluctuate, schedules will change, and admins get bored and take breaks which ties into my
"We've continually and consistently had an issue with a lack of administration on lowpop for 11+ years and "just get more lowpop admins" has not worked as a solution that entire time"

It was easier in the past as Ausops was in the aus/nz region as a headmin and even then we had admin shortages during that time even with kevinz, ausops, oranges, and occasionally me being active around then. It ties back into the whole "Just get more lowpop/Australian admins" does not work and will never work as a true solution. This isn't a mutually exclusive issue with lowpop though as you might think, as we've had issues where we can go dry of admins on highpop bagil as well at periods and its just a case of admins getting tired of adminning or changing habits/schedules up. Adminning people in the region is a temporary initial solution and even then admin activity can shift very quickly and unfortunately lowpop is far more sensitive to a single active admin disappearing than highpop is. The price to pay to enjoy lowpop is consistently having less admin oversight.

We've also had plenty of americans and euros who can hop on a few times a week during late nights or have night schedules like steveo as admin trainers and headmins and even then the issue still existed so it isn't just a limited scope view, this is an issue that has plagued the headmins and trainers for years and still hasn't been solved to this day

or you know maybe my insight is wrong and 11+ years of every ss13 server trying to solve this issue is wrong and im a dumb poopy head conspiring with the headmins to starve tgstation of admins so that griefers reign supreme

Maybe I should've argued the actual issue which is "Why do admins change activity and playtime so frequently?" and your answer is *EDIT*:CENSORED PENDING HEADMIN APPROVAL
Image
Image

User avatar
Rustledjimm
 
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: 80+ admins yet there arent enough for 2/3 of the day

Postby Rustledjimm » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:46 am #486979

Let's start an australian server and call it ozzy
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback!

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image

Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Agux909, Atlanta-Ned, CitrusGender, FloranOtten, Omni, SkeletalElite, The Respected Man, Timberpoes