Accountability for changing AI laws

Nexofas
Byond Username: Nexofas

Accountability for changing AI laws

Post by Nexofas » #628875

Current silicon policy states.''You are responsible for what your AI does to other people if you change its laws.''
But is there anyone what happens to AI and its borgs?
As it was discussed in the community meeting,
Example situation:

1-A non-antag(captain/rd/or someone random) changes AI laws (purge/one human)
2-AI/borgs gets Round removed.

Is there someone responsible for their round removals? Who would it be?
Last edited by Nexofas on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nex Lofas on Terry
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Re: Accountabily for changing AI laws

Post by Pandarsenic » #628876

If you onehuman the AI without a really good reason, you're on the hook for all the problems you cause, including the death of the AI who has no choice but to follow your lawset.

Purge is a slightly special case because the AI/Borgs still have to act like real players and don't get an excuse to rampage; they're responsible for their own escalation, and if someone overescalates to clap them, that's on that person. It's fully legit to also dingdong the person who purged in the first place, though, if it was for a bad reason.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Accountability for changing AI laws

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #629526

The AI should not have to act in good faith, it's a machine bound by its laws above all else. You do not blame the plasma that burns everyone on the station to death, but the atmospheric tech who released it.

The captain is at fault for the death of the AI in this scenario.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #629530

I think the scenario depends on the laws. If it's one-human then it's the uploaders fault for uploading a dangerous law.

If it's purged, that isn't a dangerous law and the fault lies with the person who killed the borg/ AI. (Unless they went through standard escalation I guess, then it's IC!)
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #629862

WineAllWine wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:59 pm I think the scenario depends on the laws. If it's one-human then it's the uploaders fault for uploading a dangerous law.

If it's purged, that isn't a dangerous law and the fault lies with the person who killed the borg/ AI. (Unless they went through standard escalation I guess, then it's IC!)
I’ve always been curious what escalation looks like against an AI. Like what sorta behavior makes the AI valid to you.
Spoiler:
Nexofas

Post by Nexofas » #629867

Purged AIs can act as any crew as escalation goes. If you threaten its free willed existence (try to slave it with laws and try to break into upload) it has the rights to defend it. So yeah thats your valid.
Nex Lofas on Terry
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #629963

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:28 pm
WineAllWine wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:59 pm I think the scenario depends on the laws. If it's one-human then it's the uploaders fault for uploading a dangerous law.

I’ve always been curious what escalation looks like against an AI. Like what sorta behavior makes the AI valid to you.
Putting laws on a Purged AI is not hugely different from putting a hypnoflash law on a person, so... yeah.

Other than that, the same way that any humans in conflict become valid to each other

Which

God, listen, I'm really not trying to throw shade here, but genuinely please err on the side of caution on that, given you seem to have trouble with making that call historically

Because IMO the answer is "Stuff has to go pretty far and for a while to make nonantags valid kills to each other legitimately with neither person being a banbaiting/killbaiting asshole."
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Nexofas

Post by Nexofas » #630057

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:45 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:28 pm
WineAllWine wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:59 pm
Because IMO the answer is "Stuff has to go pretty far and for a while to make nonantags valid kills to each other legitimately with neither person being a banbaiting/killbaiting asshole."
Which is the reason why I opened this discussion in the first place. Killbaiting silicon players with loopholes (technically someone onehumans them and forces them into conflict and they die) was the common issue I saw on terry.
Nex Lofas on Terry
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #633071

The answer to these questions is that it is extremely context-dependent, with a minimum of three parties with differing levels of "fault."

Uploaders are responsible for reasonable outcomes of the laws they upload. AIs are responsible for unreasonable interpretations. Players who interact with silicons should do so in good faith and are responsible for their own actions against all other server rules.

Headmin Votes:
Dragomagol: Agree
NamelessFairy: Agree
RaveRadbury: Agree
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: