Security Strategies?

General SS13 Chat
Diasyl
Byond Username: Diasyl

Security Strategies?

Post by Diasyl » #730013

Have any of you ever had any kind of strategy as a Security?

Like sure, you might say that you always take something and then use that, or that you just turn on your batong and rush into antags. But that's minor personal things, I'm speaking more grandiose.

Like I as HoS always try to get my Officers to protect the departments they are assigned to, in the calm times they must build rapport with it so there is less "ACAB" mindset in the crew alongside getting intel.
If Officers get called out somewhere they must stick with their fellow department Officers.
If it is a mass raid then all of the Officers must gather into a chain (CONGA LINE!) or be loaded into the Paddy and rapidly deployed on scene.
And most of all, I constantly remind Officers to never betray one another, as rather often they love to infight due their EGO/""justness"".

I don't know if this is a strategy, maybe more of a defined procedures, but I think close enough.
You have anything similar? I really want to hear and maybe we will learn something useful.
VIOLENCE IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Re: Security Strategies?

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #730022

Use the labour camp for points

use thermal pistols

Offer brigged people to be useful, such as making them do a cargo bounty, upgrade machines, or do science scanning experiments for a reduction or total sentence drop

Notepad: keep track of what antagonists are in play, a to-do list, and general notes about the station and people of interest.

If you are really desperate for augments/experimental surgery/ weapon tech, you can sell weapons to the department to make them do the task for you.

Do not be "i'll be right back." Famous last words
CoffeeDragon16
Byond Username: CoffeeDragon16

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #730025

personally what i find works best is positive reinforcement for the crew. imo the biggest issue with people not respecting sec is sec acting like greytiders in red. i like to pay engineers to repair/reinforce sec in exchange for sec gear, or doctors for giving us implants also help people with access or offer favors. i find that it usually makes people want to help sec out more. also be very respectful to law-abiding crew, act like you're working for them. i find these two strategies make crew far more likely to try and bail you out when you're in trouble.
also every round if the map doesn't have a surgical duffel in the medbay i tend to bring one. brig revivals w revival surgery stun baton is really easy and has saved my life many times
Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:28 am Offer brigged people to be useful, such as making them do a cargo bounty, upgrade machines, or do science scanning experiments for a reduction or total sentence drop

Notepad: keep track of what antagonists are in play, a to-do list, and general notes about the station and people of interest.
im interested, how do you enforce this? do you ask the warden to bring you a tracking implant? if i catch an antag but it's clear they're harmless, incompetent, or it would be more fun for them to escape, i usually put in a tracking implant paired with a lethal implant so for them it's a fun game not to get caught. sometimes as warden i do this and just follow them on the cameras and try to guess what they're doing its really entertaining
the notepad also sounds smart. i hope in the future someone reworks re-adds the note panel to act like an actual notepad, i think it would benefit roleplay + attention to detail. would be also cool as a chat tab
Image ImageImageImage
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #730028

I always threaten people with an additional minute in the slammer for resisting arrest if I think they are gonna get rowdy
Armhulen wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:42 pm Thank you timonk sometimes you just need a timonk to jolt your CNS
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #730033

Buy a personal First Aid kit from cargo (don't steal from medbay).

Chances are you may be first on scene to a fight. If you can't catch the assailant before he runs off, you can at least stabilize the victim before moving them to medbay.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #730034

CoffeeDragon16 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:50 am
Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:28 am Offer brigged people to be useful, such as making them do a cargo bounty, upgrade machines, or do science scanning experiments for a reduction or total sentence drop

im interested, how do you enforce this? do you ask the warden to bring you a tracking implant?
Plenty of ways:
carrying an experi-sci device in your pocket, lets you know when discounts are being done.
Keeping watch of the cargo budget or stealing asking for a supply encryption key
Letting folks know about what the "paroled" person is doing to their department, and ask them to vouch if they've actually done it.
Using the fines system, that puts money into the defense budget.

Or the gigachad rimworld way:
use your 20 social skill to recruit them into an officer by reducing their resistance.
Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #730037

zxaber wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:41 am Buy a personal First Aid kit from cargo (don't steal from medbay).

Chances are you may be first on scene to a fight. If you can't catch the assailant before he runs off, you can at least stabilize the victim before moving them to medbay.
speaking of cargo, Make yourself money. You can buy lots of fun equipment like hellfire lasers, .38 revolvers, thermal pistols.
Also helps to have spare money to buy spare equipment if yours gets stolen by a tider
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #730043

if i dont get killed while trying to talk a guy into letting me search his bag ive failed as an officer of the law
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #730044

also and this is a good one, if someone points behind you and says "WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE" you should turn around and look at it and not react to anything they do behind your back for at least twenty seconds
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Higgin
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Higgin

Post by Higgin » #730059

PKPenguin321 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:18 am also and this is a good one, if someone points behind you and says "WHAT'S THAT OVER THERE" you should turn around and look at it and not react to anything they do behind your back for at least twenty seconds
I do this with people hiding in plants and boxes, imitating an MGS goon is fun - throw in a "must have been the wind" for good measure
feedback appreciated here <3
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #730060

Diasyl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:10 pm Have any of you ever had any kind of strategy as a Security?

[...]

I don't know if this is a strategy, maybe more of a defined procedures, but I think close enough.
You have anything similar? I really want to hear and maybe we will learn something useful.
Biggest things for me are prioritizing problems, concentrating force, and keeping up communication.

Security a lot of the time act like knights-errant - they roam the lands, largely disconnected, taking on their immediate problems/projects or maybe responding to callouts when made. Making callouts and keeping them in touch, even with a "hey X, still alive?" and carrying a shortwave radio are highly useful for catching the ones looking for a quest and identifying the ones whose ID the bad people are going to show up rocking later.

With callouts, knowing when to get together is important. Prompting or ordering people to team up for dangerous threats - or even just to come back to the brig and gear up - increase their odds of success. All-hands situations rely on pulling the crew into this so the guns and gear don't get left sitting on the racks when they could be in useful hands (because believe it or not, most rounds, most of the crew are on your side.)

Prioritizing problems means recognizing what the risks and limits of each thing going on are. Two assistants dicking around killing each other to bait an annoying conflict do not rise to the level of a nightmare depowering the station and murdering people in the tunnels, so you need to recognize that and drop their shit when the nightmare gets called out. That might also mean dropping it entirely, giving them a gulag sentence instead of timed brig (self-executing, doesn't leave you handling a rowdy dipshit afterwards/stranded if you die,) or in extremis shooting them dead.

Same token, it also means security has to recognize their own limits - good crew being armed after an attack aren't an issue and should even be helped. I often hand out flashes or bolas in my department if I can't keep it covered or in exchange for a favor. The job is managing and reducing insecurity (edit: or helping produce a state of security as what Loader and Walker call a 'thick' public good, which exists in the minds and experience of the crew,*) and recognizing when you're not going to be able to help people means giving them more tools to help themselves.

For that matter, prioritize helping people, not fighting crime. Builds goodwill and is ultimately what security is there for if the dept. isn't just an antag-fighting holy order.
Spoiler:
9 Policing Principles
To prevent crime and disorder, as an alternative to their repression by military force and severity of legal punishment.
To recognize always that the power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect.
To recognize always that to secure and maintain the respect and approval of the public means also the securing of the willing cooperation of the public in the task of securing observance of laws.
To recognize always that the extent to which the cooperation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives.
To seek and preserve public favor, not by pandering to public opinion, but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to law, in complete independence of policy, and without regard to the justice or injustice of the substance of individual laws, by ready offering of individual service and friendship to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing, by ready exercise of courtesy and friendly good humor, and by ready offering of individual sacrifice in protecting and preserving life.
To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public cooperation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective.
To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
To recognize always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty.
To recognize always that the test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, and not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with them.
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #730061

A few other thoughts:

- Be in your department when you can. One thing that enables crime, ecologically, is the absence of recognized guardianship. Anyone can be a guardian, often heads, but it's your job, and you have the tools to do it.
- Don't just be a "little soldier" - that is to say, if there's a level of basic security that doesn't require you being in constant conflict, guns blazing, where nobody outside of the dept. can be trusted, co-opt the crew. Talk to them. Bring them in if they're willing. Help them out in ways that don't steal their jobs by bringing them stuff, accompanying them on jobs, and doing scutwork that makes the place work better. You're there to solve their problems and only so effective as they are after a point (that is to say: fucked with no power, no revivals/healing, no cargo, etc.)
- Share information outside of security too. There's a bad tendency for security to 'silo' the identities of criminals or nature of possible threats. The odds are much greater that your enemies outside of security have sec comms than your friends, and your friends, like security, can only help with what they know about. If the captain/heads aren't doing it, don't hesitate to key your department in on what's going on in the larger station. It's the difference between somebody seeing a murderer come into medbay and healing them to full versus that person being able to report them or take actions to defend themselves.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #730064

Rush the crew monitoring console research, build it in sci sec outpost, request suit sensors, go in person to those who refuse and ask again, then wait for an opportunity to blue shift search them if they refuse.
Usually by the time I'm done with that I've either been stabbed to death in maint or those who need to be arrested have revealed themselves.
Diasyl

Post by Diasyl » #730066

Also I got a idea for organizing Security, although it is only on paper wasn't tested yet:
Security Task Forces!
Problem
  • Coordinating Officers presents several challenges:
  • Many Officers have short attention spans and often don't monitor chat.
  • There is no physical leader to follow in emergencies.
As Head of Security (HoS), you can't be with every Officer at all times. Your command is mainly limited to radio communication, making it difficult to coordinate without gathering all Officers simultaneously.

Solution
To address this, we can utilize the game's automatic assignment of Officers to specific departments (Engineering, Cargo, Science, Medical) at the start of each round. Here’s the plan:
  • Sergeant Assignment: Select one competent Officer from each department to serve as the Sergeant. In high population situations, there can be up to three Officers per department.
  • Authority and Responsibility: These Sergeants will have authority over the Officers in their respective departments. They are expected to monitor radio communications carefully and relay your orders, ensuring they are less likely to be missed.
  • Leadership in Emergencies: Normal Officers will have a physical leader to follow in emergencies, improving overall coordination.
Additional Benefits
This structure ensures Security coordination remains possible even in the event of a decapitation attack, where you (HoS) and the Warden are incapacitated. The Task Forces can continue to function effectively under the leadership of the Sergeants.

Addressing Participation Issues
Not all Officers may agree to participate in this structure. To handle this:
Offer a special Response Team status for those who opt out.
Make this alternative less appealing to encourage participation in the Task Forces.
Or just let them be on their own.

This idea draws inspiration from real-life military fire teams and aims to enhance Security coordination in-game.
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #730069

Beat people up for making defenses during nuke ops. Beat up and lethal anyone wanting a weapon from the armoury during a blob round.
Ignore the genuine calls for help over the radio whilst you're arresting people for littering.
Threaten the lawyer for doing his job.
Make sure to spend most of your time wandering maints alone with your weapon drawn on lethals during a greenshift.
Ignore the radio.
God forbid a clown slips you. You then have to spend the rest of the shift involved in some kind of meta-grudge whilst balancing admin bwoinks as to why you stripped, cuffed, harm-battoned and finally lethaled the clown and then cremated the body.
Always, always keep an eye out for minor infractions, someone else can deal with the so-called major threats like dragons or blobs. Prioritise dealing with the assistant who trespassed and stole food from the kitchen because there's no chef and they're hungry.
The crew are not your friends, make sure to annoy, harass, and make enemies with as many people as possible.
Make a good point of annoying medical in particular.
Never stick to your departments.
Always, always choose the HOS vs Captain when it boils down to a civil war.
Never carry a station-bounced radio. Especially when comms are down.
Your fellow security colleagues are all rivals. Do not cooperate with any of them.
Make sure the warden NEVER knows why people are in the cells.
Totally refuse to update security records.
Don't bother watching the cameras, that's always someone else's job.
Space law is entirely subjective and flexible. Another 6 minutes in the cells for someone who has the audacity to ask 'erm why was i arrested' is the proper way to do things.
Go SSD during critical moments and then refuse to be updated on any/ all station events when you finally return to find the brig has a breach.
When facing off against antagonists, make sure to blindly fire all your lethals down the corridor. Even if you know it might hit a crew member, it's their fault for getting in the way.
Never wear HUD glasses or sunglasses, but keep plenty of flashbangs on you.
The identity of a suspect doesn't mean shit. If someone reported a botanist moth as being a suspect, just go lethal the first moth you see in science.
Remember your ego comes first. Everything else is secondary.

Some of these are based on true events.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Diasyl

Post by Diasyl » #730075

kayozz wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:05 pm Beat people up for making defenses during nuke ops. Beat up and lethal anyone wanting a weapon from the armoury during a blob round.
Ignore the genuine calls for help over the radio whilst you're arresting people for littering.
Threaten the lawyer for doing his job.
Make sure to spend most of your time wandering maints alone with your weapon drawn on lethals during a greenshift.
Ignore the radio.
God forbid a clown slips you. You then have to spend the rest of the shift involved in some kind of meta-grudge whilst balancing admin bwoinks as to why you stripped, cuffed, harm-battoned and finally lethaled the clown and then cremated the body.
Always, always keep an eye out for minor infractions, someone else can deal with the so-called major threats like dragons or blobs. Prioritise dealing with the assistant who trespassed and stole food from the kitchen because there's no chef and they're hungry.
The crew are not your friends, make sure to annoy, harass, and make enemies with as many people as possible.
Make a good point of annoying medical in particular.
Never stick to your departments.
Always, always choose the HOS vs Captain when it boils down to a civil war.
Never carry a station-bounced radio. Especially when comms are down.
Your fellow security colleagues are all rivals. Do not cooperate with any of them.
Make sure the warden NEVER knows why people are in the cells.
Totally refuse to update security records.
Don't bother watching the cameras, that's always someone else's job.
Space law is entirely subjective and flexible. Another 6 minutes in the cells for someone who has the audacity to ask 'erm why was i arrested' is the proper way to do things.
Go SSD during critical moments and then refuse to be updated on any/ all station events when you finally return to find the brig has a breach.
When facing off against antagonists, make sure to blindly fire all your lethals down the corridor. Even if you know it might hit a crew member, it's their fault for getting in the way.
Never wear HUD glasses or sunglasses, but keep plenty of flashbangs on you.
The identity of a suspect doesn't mean shit. If someone reported a botanist moth as being a suspect, just go lethal the first moth you see in science.
Remember your ego comes first. Everything else is secondary.

Some of these are based on true events.
Did you just take these out of the Shitcurity page? lol
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #730080

Didn't even know we had a shitcurity page?
But nah, mostly tongue-in-cheek criticism of past experiences.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
Higgin
In-Game Admin

Post by Higgin » #730099

kayozz wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:05 pm ...
actually i lied do this

(you should add these to the shitcurity entry on the wiki, they're great)
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #730107

When you spot someone set to wanted, go get in their face and ask what they're wanted for over security comms. Ignore the criminal entirely while doing this.
If another officer is trying to baton someone and they're in a closed space, place yourself firmly in the way out so they can't escape.
When someone in cuffs envitibly gets loose from someone else's grip, just grab them. Don't waste time on disabling or batoning them.
Be a walking reminder of the station's situation as a far-flung and isolated deathtrap via couping the captain the moment you think they're detrimental to profits/dying in maintenance to a squad of assistants rallied by the clown you accidently flashbanged that one time.
Do cargo bounties because they're stupid profitable for security officers with some knowhow.
Die in screaming agony. Always die in screaming agony. You have failed as security if you do not.
If someone isn't actively in the process of doing a crime, talk to them before arresting 'em.
People who attempt to steal criminals out from your grasp when you're hauling them to the brig are to be harmbatoned to death on the spot.
Command is not free of sin.
Antagonists that die in the field at the hands of security should ideally be revived for proper sentencing.

Lasty, if you bring disgrace on both yourself and your department, commit seppuku.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
Diasyl

Post by Diasyl » #730108

Boris wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:08 am When you spot someone set to wanted, go get in their face and ask what they're wanted for over security comms. Ignore the criminal entirely while doing this.
If another officer is trying to baton someone and they're in a closed space, place yourself firmly in the way out so they can't escape.
When someone in cuffs envitibly gets loose from someone else's grip, just grab them. Don't waste time on disabling or batoning them.
Be a walking reminder of the station's situation as a far-flung and isolated deathtrap via couping the captain the moment you think they're detrimental to profits/dying in maintenance to a squad of assistants rallied by the clown you accidently flashbanged that one time.
Do cargo bounties because they're stupid profitable for security officers with some knowhow.
Die in screaming agony. Always die in screaming agony. You have failed as security if you do not.
If someone isn't actively in the process of doing a crime, talk to them before arresting 'em.
People who attempt to steal criminals out from your grasp when you're hauling them to the brig are to be harmbatoned to death on the spot.
Command is not free of sin.
Antagonists that die in the field at the hands of security should ideally be revived for proper sentencing.

Lasty, if you bring disgrace on both yourself and your department, commit seppuku.
Somehow half of these sound absurd ironic like "Go to criminal face and ask why they are wanted", while others are genuinely interesting.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #730109

if an antagonist has done nothing just give them permabrig (unless changeling)
Armhulen wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 4:42 pm Thank you timonk sometimes you just need a timonk to jolt your CNS
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #730111

Diasyl wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:09 pm
Boris wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:08 am snip
Somehow half of these sound absurd ironic like "Go to criminal face and ask why they are wanted", while others are genuinely interesting.
It's hilarious and it also gives them the knowledge that security is after them, ergo they get a chance to run, and you a chance to chase them.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #730200

I hotmic'd my headset any time I patrolled in maint. Can speak on radio while in crit and cultists/heretics who pick it up afterwards are very likely to cast a spell without noticing; outing themselves to the entire crew as valid.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #730397

Use 10-codes
If admins try to cut you down for using them make sure to alert your security team of the meta-threat using 10 codes
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
dendydoom
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #730410

too soon... that's a 10-69 good buddy...
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
Stabbystab
Byond Username: StabbyStab

Post by Stabbystab » #730419

AwkwardStereo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:54 am I hotmic'd my headset any time I patrolled in maint. Can speak on radio while in crit and cultists/heretics who pick it up afterwards are very likely to cast a spell without noticing; outing themselves to the entire crew as valid.
To add to this, I just like to carry a unmuted radio in my bag whenever I'm walking through maints alone, and if you're really smart switch it to sec frequency, Its very good for outing spellcasters and other folk.
Stabbystab
Byond Username: StabbyStab

Post by Stabbystab » #730421

ALSO before i forget dont neglect bolas they are REALLY good ways at stopping people from running and fighting allowing you to punish them with stuns from range or just darting in and out with a stunbaton... Just watch out for freedom implanters or ling biodegraders since those can break bolas as well as cuffs.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #730437

Put on the baseball hat instead of the helmet and only wear the gasmask when you have to. People are nicer when you're a brainless goon and not a faceless one.
Bisar
Byond Username: Bisar

Post by Bisar » #731555

As a fun juxtaposition to typically raising hell as an Assistant or bordering on breaking Space Law with a lot of the hazards I flirt with for any of the other jobs, I like to play an immensely reasonable and fair/fun secoff.

I do things like demote my own officers as HoS if they're being too huge of assholes, brigging officers who abuse prisoners as Warden, 'accidentally' overlooking contraband that won't be used to RR someone, or letting someone keep their insuls if they're brigged for assault instead of B&E.

I carry around a little first aid kit for stabilizing people if we find them before the antag has finished them off; I'll let antags roll the dice on a deliberately failed brain surgery instead of being sentenced to execution, or inject them with a Beepsky Smash overdose so they have to deal with Sec phobia in exchange for not getting RR'd (lots of ways to counter this but people only ever try to get brain surgery for it and guess who chose medical for their Sec department babyyyy)

If they haven't scored that many kills that round I'll tracker implant the ling and tell them to learn genetics for humanized monkeys. I give heretics little tips on what they should do to avoid getting donked by me so easily the next time, partly because it just seems decent but also because if I robust somebody who has no gristle I'm not getting any more skilled and that's not satisfying.

I see so many people playing class assholes as Sec because they think it's the height of theme reinforcement to be Meathead Murderbone Cop #2277589 that I feel like a big fucking hero for being like, 1/4 decent when I decide to do it.
8bot
Byond Username: 8botticus

Post by 8bot » #731991

not sure if it was mentioned cuz i aint readin this shit but always carry a backup stun baton
always 100%
take the handcuffs off your belt at shift start, put em in backpack, grab a spare baton
and ALWAYS keep your stun batons on, as well

shift+E to stun the badman. even if he stuns you back/pushes you over, shift+E again to make him go away.
the gamer formerly known as "remanseptim"
TheDude9000
Byond Username: Stolz_4

Post by TheDude9000 » #737283

Diasyl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:10 pm Have any of you ever had any kind of strategy as a Security?

Like sure, you might say that you always take something and then use that, or that you just turn on your batong and rush into antags. But that's minor personal things, I'm speaking more grandiose.

Like I as HoS always try to get my Officers to protect the departments they are assigned to, in the calm times they must build rapport with it so there is less "ACAB" mindset in the crew alongside getting intel.
If Officers get called out somewhere they must stick with their fellow department Officers.
If it is a mass raid then all of the Officers must gather into a chain (CONGA LINE!) or be loaded into the Paddy and rapidly deployed on scene.
And most of all, I constantly remind Officers to never betray one another, as rather often they love to infight due their EGO/""justness"".

Get a traitor alive, get the code words, pda all the crew the codes using the traitor pda, see who replies the correct answer, best counter terrorism strategy out there. It worked so good admins told me not to do this in some other servers.
Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #737559

TheDude9000 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:52 pm

Get a traitor alive, get the code words, pda all the crew the codes using the traitor pda, see who replies the correct answer, best counter terrorism strategy out there. It worked so good admins told me not to do this in some other servers.
WHy did admins not like it? what did they say?
stairmaster
Byond Username: Stairmaster

Post by stairmaster » #739681

TheDude9000
Byond Username: Stolz_4

Post by TheDude9000 » #744907

Longestarmlonglaw wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:25 am
TheDude9000 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 4:52 pm

WHy did admins not like it? what did they say?

They said it was "powergaming" :lol:
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #745313

AwkwardStereo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:54 am I hotmic'd my headset any time I patrolled in maint. Can speak on radio while in crit and cultists/heretics who pick it up afterwards are very likely to cast a spell without noticing; outing themselves to the entire crew as valid.
How do you do this? I know radios can be set to open mic, but I didn't know headsets could.
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #745517

VexingRaven wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:52 pm
How do you do this? I know radios can be set to open mic, but I didn't know headsets could.
Alt click your headset. There'll be two buttons that show up above your available channels. The one on by default is the headset's output (your ability to hear people speaking on the radio). The other is a microphone icon controlling the input, which is off by default. Toggling this on makes it so anything said by you (or anyone stood on the same tile as you!) will be spoken over the General channel.

If you want to turn it off, just retoggle it. When I played head of staff positions I kept the headset window up in case I wanted to shoot the shit on net without clogging up the chat with my big text (you can toggle big voice off and on).
ju45he
Byond Username: Ju45he

Post by ju45he » #745697

I love to get my tackle stat as high as possible, and to then try to tackle every criminal ever. It may rarely hit, I may be slow and left in the dust, I may be killed after a failed tackle, but I will always enjoy tackling random petty criminals and throwing them into their petty criminals friends.
Lacran
Byond Username: Lacran

Post by Lacran » #747534

Play paraplegic to get wheelchair.

Move diagonally towards the HOS to save tiles per minute (TPM)

Ask the HoS if he likes the captain, if he says yes, restart.

If HOS says no arrest and demote for mutiny.

Promote self to HoS, grab a fire extinguisher and shoot down sec hallways to bridge. Big tpm save here.

Ask Captain what the slur is for lizards.

If Captain won't say it, or types slow, restart.

If Captain says ligger, he's valid, kill him.

Become captain, request nuke codes, if admins refuse, restart.

Nuke station. 1 crime only speedrun complete.

My pb is currently 5minutes 36.5 seconds. Massive time loss getting bridge doors open, possible work around being secborg if enabled, allows for a HoS skip time save and eligible for a no crime sub 6 minute run.

Been very hard to optimise without getting in trouble