Paranoia on a deathtrap

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Paranoia on a deathtrap

Post by ShadowDimentio » #151891

Bottom post of the previous page:

PKPenguin321 wrote:
drunkas wrote:Where'd it go?

What's the easiest way of bringing it back?
buff the everloving fuck out of antags, especially the stealthy shit
make it so at any moment a traitor could just out and drop you dead in a second flat
Kor wrote:Something being super lethal doesn't cause paranoia by itself.

Nor do consequences (sitting in deadchat for an hour). A wizard warping to station, cheesing stuns to kill everyone, and recalling the shuttle for 45 minutes is not fun or interesting for anyone involved.

Paranoia comes from not knowing.

But we know everything. We have brightly lit areas, cameras, universal radio, secHUDs that see your job and whether or not you have the AntagFree implant, meta tells for all antags, spammable antag tests/deconversion, team huds/private chat for most antag types, etc.

It is not about lethality, it is about information, and trust, and we have a ton of both.

Playing a game of Mafia or Trouble in Terrorist Town doesn't require the badguy to be able to shrug off bullets and rampage to be scary, and the games only last 15 minutes at most. But it exploits everyones lack of information, to sow mistrust and confusion. It is a race against time to figure things out as people get picked off.

We lack confusion, because our players desire clarity, in rules and in gameplay.
This used to be what changelings did. They'd cuck you in single combat no matter what, and that made everyone paranoid of everyone because WHAT IF THIS GUY IS A LING STAY AWAY FROM MY PERSONAL SPACE

Until the butthurt players that hated parasting had it removed.

Then ling lost it's shtick of "1v1 gods" and wandered around different gameplay ideas that were all shit, slowly dying, until people got so sick of it that it was removed.

Bring back parasting, bring back ling, bring back paranoia, bring back fun.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #151894

This is why Lifeweb has such a great atmosphere. You are so restricted in everything you do. You NEED to rely on other people to survive, and every single one of them is able to kill you at any point without consequences IC or OOC. TG has gone a completely different direction with its gameplay, and its way too late to start caring now.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #151905

drunkas wrote:Where'd it go?

What's the easiest way of bringing it back?
You didn't want it, remember? Sudden death was removed, permanent death was removed, rounds only last 30 minutes so even if you do die forever it's not a big deal, that shuttle will be called soon enough.
deputi
Byond Username: Deputi

Post by deputi » #151919

We could massively increase the level of paranoia by having people not be able to see everything behind themselves. It could work by having a black screen behind the person which would rotate when the person faces another direction. We could even replace the x-ray mutation with a mutation that gives you eyes on the back of your head so you can see behind yourself. I don't know about you guys, but I think it would be pretty spooky not knowing what's always behind you.
Concept Image:
As you can see in this concept image, any traitor/monster/corgi could easily sneak up on this poor unsuspecting chef from out of the freezer room and kill/nuzzle him to death! Pretty spooky tbh
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #151925

Trivia: Not even Bay does that. It's that awful, even if it makes sense.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #151930

All antags need more stealth options, along with objectives that require them to kill multiple people. True paranoia doesn't come from somebody on a dual esword rampage, it comes from the knowledge that anybody you encounter could be a sleeper agent waiting to jump out, murder you, and wreck everything you've been working on all shift. This would mean reverting ebow nerfs, adding some stealth items, and adding traitor objectives like "ensure less than x % of the crew survives" or "kill all members of x department or "ensure the singularity engine or tesla engine escapes containment.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #151932

Ebow nerf was needed. Ranged stuns are stupid, especially one that could stunlock you and passively recharged its ammo. Limiting light-of-sight is a neat concept, but it would be a HUGE change for a server like TG, so its probably not a good idea.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #151933

This is all just speculating anyway, the /TG/ "If I can't solo a Nuke OPs team then they're overpowered" playerbase would never go with anything that would put being a loner at a disadvantage.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #151937

Alex Crimson wrote:Ebow nerf was needed. Ranged stuns are stupid, especially one that could stunlock you and passively recharged its ammo. Limiting light-of-sight is a neat concept, but it would be a HUGE change for a server like TG, so its probably not a good idea.
And ranged crit revolvers aren't? If you encounter a semi-competent antag and you aren't prepared for combat, you WILL die.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #151943

Alex Crimson wrote:Ebow nerf was needed. Ranged stuns are stupid, especially one that could stunlock you and passively recharged its ammo. Limiting light-of-sight is a neat concept, but it would be a HUGE change for a server like TG, so its probably not a good idea.
Then nerf just the recharge, like you can fire 5 shots then nothing for 30 seconds. It makes sense for a hit and run weapon.
Not being able to miss with your first shot is VERY punishing because anyone with a basic taser can just spamfire in return.
(this shouldnt apply to the RnD version, why can they even fucking make this)
Or decrease the price, because right now it is overpriced.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #151944

It's not overpriced. If it was anything less every traitor would have a rechargable taser on them. The ebow has its own use, and that use isn't for mass murder, which isn't something traitors want to do anyways.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #151954

Zilenan91 wrote:It's not overpriced. If it was anything less every traitor would have a rechargable taser on them. The ebow has its own use, and that use isn't for mass murder, which isn't something traitors want to do anyways.
Spooky traitors secretly murdering everybody in maint with the rest of the crew being none the wiser is actually really paranoia-inducing
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #151958

Not even a little bit. If greyshirts and sec die in maint I couldn't care less unless they start coming into the halls to murderbone, but we've mostly moved away from mass murderbone as a server.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #151963

Zilenan91 wrote:Not even a little bit. If greyshirts and sec die in maint I couldn't care less unless they start coming into the halls to murderbone, but we've mostly moved away from mass murderbone as a server.
Which sucks
The best days of the game were when traitors were so powerful they could take out most of the station and a significant number of its crew. Cry "but muh murderbones" all you want, at least the antagonists actually felt like antagonists and not "greyshirt with an esword and a license to grief."
Spoiler:
kazeespada
Byond Username: Kaze Espada

Post by kazeespada » #151965

Remember the PR to buff eswords to prevent disarms got shot down because it would also block punches.

"ITS OP IF I CANT PUNCH A JEDI IN THE FACE."
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #151966

Honestly, if all antagonists want to do with their rounds is murder people, that's fine, but it's also boring and uncreative if all they do is just tase and lase. The best antag rounds I've ever played, either as the antag or not, have been where they've done benevolent or benign things. Like being All Access Man and killing all of the heads of staff then giving all access to everyone and becoming the hero the station deserves. Or mindswapping everyone into a corgi as a wizard, or making an army of syndiborgs with old multiverse swords. Or the time I flooded so many holocarp I killed the whole station and nearly lagged it to death. Doing nothing but murdering people is horrible not because it takes people out of the round, but because it's such a waste of potential.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #151976

Zilenan91 wrote:Honestly, if all antagonists want to do with their rounds is murder people, that's fine, but it's also boring and uncreative if all they do is just tase and lase. The best antag rounds I've ever played, either as the antag or not, have been where they've done benevolent or benign things. Like being All Access Man and killing all of the heads of staff then giving all access to everyone and becoming the hero the station deserves. Or mindswapping everyone into a corgi as a wizard, or making an army of syndiborgs with old multiverse swords. Or the time I flooded so many holocarp I killed the whole station and nearly lagged it to death. Doing nothing but murdering people is horrible not because it takes people out of the round, but because it's such a waste of potential.
I'm not saying this isn't good. Antags are meant primarily to drive the round in a fun way, and gimmicks like these are a perfect example of that. This thread, however, is about paranoia, not silly laugh-out-loud gimmicks. Antags should be able to drive the round in a scarier, more intimidating and atmospheric way, at least from time to time. Traitor rounds where I actually fear for my character's life have not happened in weeks.
Spoiler:
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #151979

Paranoia? What paranoia? Rounds last about an hour, I have absolutely nothing too lose. Back on russian server, they are three hours of baymed and bayatmos, there it's different.
Bring back papercult.

Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #151982

Removing features that have no counter (para-sting, paraC4) is a double-edged sword.
On the one hand, those features are a bullshit "I WIN!" button... on the other, the fear of being completely helpless in some circumstances is what creates paranoia: "No! I don't want to get into that situation! No, stay out of my personal box! Stop following me!".

[pondering]
Spoiler:
I was never a big fan of changelings. Newlings were awfully boring; not having to actually kill anybody to achieve your objectives, really? Team-antag ling was just murderboning deluxe with invincible lings from hell.
Oldlings were solitary creatures for the most part. They had to absorb people which took the victims out of the round unless somebody was bored enough to do a brain transplant/borging - or until upgradeable machines were a thing. Getting absorbed by an oldling was cereal business, you really didn't want your muscle to tighten and end up as a husk in the chef's gibber.
So you stayed the fuck away from people you didn't trust.

Maybe it's just nostalgia about a time when I didn't know just about everything there is to know about ss13, but nowadays I don't really feel any fear.
Maybe it's because there are so many ways for getting back into the round now (posibrains, autocloning, etc.)?
Maybe it's because antags aren't stealthy enough in that any attempt on my life is easily recognizable?
Maybe I just don't care about dying because observing for 15 minutes isn't the end of the world anymore?

Bottomline is: we won't get para-anything back, we won't remove super-cloning, defibs or posibrains. Death will not be a real penalty.
With that in mind, can there even be such a thing as paranoia?
[/pondering]
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #151985

No, you're definitely right, parasting was good. It's the mentality that nobody must have a tough round that kills the game's RP fun (even though rule 10 states that losing is part of the game).
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #151988

InsaneHyena wrote:Paranoia? What paranoia? Rounds last about an hour, I have absolutely nothing too lose. Back on russian server, they are three hours of baymed and bayatmos, there it's different.
For a change, this guy's actually got a point.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #151993

Not standing next to people because they might parapen-C4 you is paranoia, but it's not a good sort of paranoia. People murdering everyone isn't paranoia, it's immersion-breaking. Paranoia is not knowing what might happen, having to be ready for anything; paranoia is hearing a suspicious noise in maintenance and wondering Am I next?; paranoia is arranging a meetup with someone, and then finding a trail of fresh blood instead of your friend; paranoia is the Detective working all shift to find a mysterious bomber, never finding them, boarding an escape pod with their investigation assistant, the assistant revealing that, all along, it was them.

I'd argue that we can get paranoia without having to randomly kill everyone. There's no paranoia in knowing Billy Bob Johnson can walk into your department and revolver you to death; when people regularly do this, you stop caring about what might happen. That's not paranoia, that's boring.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #152029

deputi wrote:We could massively increase the level of paranoia by having people not be able to see everything behind themselves. It could work by having a black screen behind the person which would rotate when the person faces another direction. We could even replace the x-ray mutation with a mutation that gives you eyes on the back of your head so you can see behind yourself. I don't know about you guys, but I think it would be pretty spooky not knowing what's always behind you.
Concept Image:
- img snip -
As you can see in this concept image, any traitor/monster/corgi could easily sneak up on this poor unsuspecting chef from out of the freezer room and kill/nuzzle him to death! Pretty spooky tbh
If this was done, I really wouldn't want it to be done (or do it myself) that way.
I'd have:
* Areas behind the player are Visible, but black and white/greyscale. (client.color can't be applied to just 1 piece of the screen, plane masters might be able to with blending)
* Areas behind the player don't visually update. (I don't believe DM has any easy way to do this, we don't control screen rendering at all)
* Sound effects make a small effect if they occurred in the player's "blind" areas, but configurable in the sound call (so you can have quiet sounds not show up, and only "loud" ones like eswords turning on, this is entirely doable.)

So essentially the areas behind a player become a "soundscape", they can sense things going on but can't actively see what's going on without turning around.
私は完璧
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #152033

On that note, it'd be good if sounds had a text cue as well, for people who can't use sound otherwise (they're deaf, they don't have headphones and they're on a bus, et cetera). "You hear a fwoosh" for an energy sword, for example. Display those for stuff that happens outside your field of vision.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #152035

To be honest it doesn't help either that everyone goes completely apeshit every time someone tries to make something more lethal.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
deputi
Byond Username: Deputi

Post by deputi » #152039

Remie Richards wrote: If this was done, I really wouldn't want it to be done (or do it myself) that way.
I'd have:
* Areas behind the player are Visible, but black and white/greyscale. (client.color can't be applied to just 1 piece of the screen, plane masters might be able to with blending)
* Areas behind the player don't visually update. (I don't believe DM has any easy way to do this, we don't control screen rendering at all)
* Sound effects make a small effect if they occurred in the player's "blind" areas, but configurable in the sound call (so you can have quiet sounds not show up, and only "loud" ones like eswords turning on, this is entirely doable.)

So essentially the areas behind a player become a "soundscape", they can sense things going on but can't actively see what's going on without turning around.
I agree that greyscale would look much better than blacking out half the screen. Would it still be possible to just not show anything on a certain layer behind the player?
Also greyscale concept image:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #152040

deputi wrote:
Remie Richards wrote: If this was done, I really wouldn't want it to be done (or do it myself) that way.
I'd have:

I agree that greyscale would look much better than blacking out half the screen. Would it still be possible to just not show anything on a certain layer behind the player?
Also greyscale concept image:
Spoiler:
With 510 we got "plane masters", allowing us to wrap an entire layers worth of object as one slice of the screen, and rotate it, colour it etc.
A plane could probably be hidden, but not for individual users, and that also limits us to having every object in the game on the same plane, which severely limits our ability to use that feature in other ways.

As I said, it'd be hard to pull off "right", but if we could it'd be the best solution to a "You can't see behind you"-style visual system.
私は完璧
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #152059

leibniz wrote:Why was the ebow nerfed?
It costs like half your TCs and it is inferior to the fucking basic tasers sec officers have.
Because.....

>Paprika
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152099

TheNightingale wrote:People murdering everyone isn't paranoia, it's immersion-breaking.
I disagree. When I first started playing and there were robust traitor murderbones, there was one round in particular where I was chased all the way to arrivals by the murderer and ended up hiding in a locker in arrivals locker room. Most of the lights were put, maybe due to electrical storms or more likely due to a lack of power from a sabotaged engine. The guy went to the lockers and started opening them one by one. This was less paranoia, but more actual fear (which IMO is even better). During this, some security officers walked in, and they had a firefight with me quivering in this locker and practically pleading for the officers to win, as I was too unrobust at the time to even consider helping them.

They did not win. The miniature panic attack I had as the murderer turned from finishing off the last sec officer and back to the lockers was the kind of immersion this game could use more of.
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #152105

And little did you know, being the unrobust newb you were, that if you locked the personal locker with your ID card whilst you were inside he wouldn't be able to open the locker unless he had personal locker access on his, stolen, id card or and emag.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #152106

he could drag the locker and space it though. honk.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #152107

PKPenguin321 wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:People murdering everyone isn't paranoia, it's immersion-breaking.
I disagree. When I first started playing and there were robust traitor murderbones, there was one round in particular where I was chased all the way to arrivals by the murderer and ended up hiding in a locker in arrivals locker room. Most of the lights were put, maybe due to electrical storms or more likely due to a lack of power from a sabotaged engine. The guy went to the lockers and started opening them one by one. This was less paranoia, but more actual fear (which IMO is even better). During this, some security officers walked in, and they had a firefight with me quivering in this locker and practically pleading for the officers to win, as I was too unrobust at the time to even consider helping them.

They did not win. The miniature panic attack I had as the murderer turned from finishing off the last sec officer and back to the lockers was the kind of immersion this game could use more of.
This makes me think that all us oldfag neckbeards just can't get that feeling back ever anyway.
The only thing that still makes me jump is accidentally smashing a table as a hulk during surgery.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #152108

The problem is and has always been that traitor items have been nerfed to shit because they felt "cheap" without giving traitors other powerful options.

At the same time everyone shoots down any attempt at buffing traitors.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #152128

Traitors don't need a buff. Full stop. I don't think you people understand how to balance a game or how to make a game fun for people.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #152131

Paranoia is the antonym of roleplay. You can target one or the other, but you can't have both. Nobody will roleplay if they are suspicious of everyone.

OpenSS13 of 2007/08 was 'balanced' for paranoia, and it was great. But there was no roleplay to be found.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #152140

I'm not convinced I want additional paranoia. I've found teamwork to be fun, but that's not really possible if paranoia is too high.

Deathtrap is more that you're trapped on the station than that the station is always deadly (though parts of it, such as the engine and atmospherics systems, can definitely be sabotaged to kill you).
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #152141

Zilenan91 wrote:Traitors don't need a buff. Full stop. I don't think you people understand how to balance a game or how to make a game fun for people.
They do need a buff and they need it bigtime. The average server goer can't do shit with the tools provided to them and rounds suffer as a result.

And yes I know very well what I am talking about.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152154

Zilenan91 wrote:Traitors don't need a buff. Full stop. I don't think you people understand how to balance a game or how to make a game fun for people.
All I know is that they both used to be more powerful and the game also used to be more fun. Maybe you can't relate since you didn't start playing until long after I did, but I promise what I say is true.
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #152155

Speaking as someone who defected to Goon for 6 months and they're basically dancing on a knife's edge with how deadly everything is, it's a shitload of fun. The antags have a ton of extremely deadly toys, but so do you, and you get the throw what you have at them. It's great.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #152167

ShadowDimentio wrote:Speaking as someone who defected to Goon for 6 months and they're basically dancing on a knife's edge with how deadly everything is, it's a shitload of fun. The antags have a ton of extremely deadly toys, but so do you, and you get the throw what you have at them. It's great.
There's nothing wrong with it. But there are consequences to doing that. If everyone is paranoid, there is no team work and no roleplay (spoiler: goonstation).

I don't think goonstation doing something means we should imitate or avoid it. I think offering an alternative is fine. Anyone who wishes to play a more paranoid and deadly version can simply play on Goonstation. Nothing wrong with that.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #152171

PKPenguin321 wrote:
All I know is that they both used to be more powerful and the game also used to be more fun. Maybe you can't relate since you didn't start playing until long after I did, but I promise what I say is true.

Perhaps the game is no longer as fun for you because you've been playing it for literally years.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152173

Zilenan91 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

Perhaps the game is no longer as fun for you because you've been playing it for literally years.
or maybe having stronger antags with the odds stacked against the crew is more interesting and engaging instead of having a select few people get traitor only to immediately get dunked every round
Spoiler:
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #152178

Parapens, Parasting, both of those were difficult to catch and virtually a guaranteed kill if you were ever alone with someone. Nothing made you more paranoid than going into interrogation with the lawyer and a suspect knowing that the lawyer could kill you silently and have the suspect free and posing as you within a minute.

Now? How the fuck would someone pull off a truly silent kill? Even if you mute them your means of murder will inevitably involve bashing, beating, or shooting that everyone nearby can hear.

Throw in the Harmyeller McDoorbolter 9000 and you've got a recipe for never dying.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #152180

I've gotten plenty of silent kills using the silenced stechkin / mutesting +stunprod.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #152181

TechnoAlchemist wrote:I've gotten plenty of silent kills using the silenced stechkin / mutesting +stunprod.
And how many have you gotten with new cult?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #152182

Nothing will ever change as the player base is apethetic towards any changes towards paranoia.

It's easy to talk the talk, but no one has walked the walk.

How many times have we had these threads pop up only to dissapear again?

Nothing will change.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #152184

Steelpoint wrote:Nothing will ever change as the player base is apethetic towards any changes towards paranoia.

Nothing will change.
the problem is nobody's sure what exactly to change
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #152185

>going quiet
>newcult

Just get an artificer and some swords and then everybody is dead from construct snowball
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #152197

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Nothing will ever change as the player base is apethetic towards any changes towards paranoia.

Nothing will change.
the problem is nobody's sure what exactly to change
You need to make a point so strongly that you convince people to side with your opinion. For example, I personally felt that Kor's point was strong enough that I'm finding myself agreeing with it.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #152201

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Honestly, if all antagonists want to do with their rounds is murder people, that's fine, but it's also boring and uncreative if all they do is just tase and lase. The best antag rounds I've ever played, either as the antag or not, have been where they've done benevolent or benign things. Like being All Access Man and killing all of the heads of staff then giving all access to everyone and becoming the hero the station deserves. Or mindswapping everyone into a corgi as a wizard, or making an army of syndiborgs with old multiverse swords. Or the time I flooded so many holocarp I killed the whole station and nearly lagged it to death. Doing nothing but murdering people is horrible not because it takes people out of the round, but because it's such a waste of potential.
I'm not saying this isn't good. Antags are meant primarily to drive the round in a fun way, and gimmicks like these are a perfect example of that. This thread, however, is about paranoia, not silly laugh-out-loud gimmicks. Antags should be able to drive the round in a scarier, more intimidating and atmospheric way, at least from time to time. Traitor rounds where I actually fear for my character's life have not happened in weeks.
Much as I absolutely fucking despise murderboners, this guy has a point.
As does Kor.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #152202

If you want to go hard core minimal information you should effect the below changes.
  • Make the majority of the station have minimal lighting, only vital/high tech area's such as Research, Security, Command and Medbay have full flood lighting.
  • Maintenance should have almost virtually no lighting.
  • SecHuds should remain as is but they require a target to remain stationary for a few moments for the Hud to complete a scan. Making a moving person not get caught out by some Officer taking eating chips who catches a glimpse as they walk by.
  • Weapons in general (real weapons) should be more lethal but armour should be more viable to a extent. More so Traitor weapons. A traitor, or antagonist (Changeling with stealth kills) needs to be able to kill someone easily, at least when they are alone.
  • Remove the AI period, or make it utterly uninterested in whatever shit the Humans do and focus it on maintaining the integrity of the station. The AI is near built to catch antags, limiting its ability to do is law wise may remove this annoyance.
  • No round start Cyborgs. Cyborgs are not linked to the AI sans if its a Traitor and it expends resources to hook them up, this means its not guaranteed a Borg is subverted to a rogue AI but its a possibility.
  • At extreme only the Head of Security, Captain and the Warden are 100% guaranteed to be utterly loyal to the station. They get a unique Loyalty Implant that can be detected on SecHUD's. Security Officers and the Detective get a lower quality Loyalty Implant that only shows up, like wanted statuses, if they remain still for a few seconds to be scanned. The higher quality Loyalty Implants are always visible, but can be removed and reimplanted into someone.
  • Revert to Oldling or steal Goonling.
  • Cult, man.....
Take Kor's idea and run with it, limit information as much as we can to a certain degree. In fact I would argue you allow Traitors and some antags to buy uniquely skinned Traitor items that have a item skin of something job related, a Medipen skinned Energy Dagger, a Clown Pie that is actually C4 or Revolver ammo hidden in a pack of ciggerates.