Holding hardsuit in hand slowdown

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Holding hardsuit in hand slowdown

Post by imblyings » #145272

Why did someone insist on making the lives of engies, atmos techs and miners that much more painful?

What good does it actually bring to the game?

Revert it
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: Holding hardsuit in hand slowdown

Post by Zilenan91 » #145273

The change was a side-effect of making in-hand items have slowdown, so people wouldn't move at sanic speeds while they're blasting away with a minigun, as an example.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #145274

The new meme is to drag them
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #145275

Nah, then a greyshit would steal it. Just leave it on.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #145276

yeah, this is a horrible change
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #145278

This is technically a bug.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #145280

I wanted heavy weapons to be possible, and originally exempted hardsuits, but it was pointed out that istype checks every mob step was retarded, so I made it do everything.

I lost interest in heavy weapons anyway so I will revert this when the freeze is over
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #145285

Gun Hog wrote:This is technically a bug.
No, it isn't.
They were made exempt, and then their special exemption was removed, intentionally.
私は完璧
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #145317

Personally I would rather just remove hardsuit slowdown outright but maybe that's just me.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #145321

MisterPerson wrote:Personally I would rather just remove hardsuit slowdown outright but maybe that's just me.
Agree with you here tbh
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #145326

The worn slowdown does serve a purpose. I say this as someone who values a space suit above almost any other item too.

Being able to flee into space is a huge advantage when properly leveraged, it absolutely needs some kind of tradeoff on station so you don't have turbohitlers sprinting in and out of airlock to murder people and then run out of a broken window and basically being unstoppable to anyone without a suit.

The slowdown is an elegant tradeoff.

The hand-slowdown shit is not.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #145345

Oldman Robustin wrote:The worn slowdown does serve a purpose. I say this as someone who values a space suit above almost any other item too.

Being able to flee into space is a huge advantage when properly leveraged, it absolutely needs some kind of tradeoff on station so you don't have turbohitlers sprinting in and out of airlock to murder people and then run out of a broken window and basically being unstoppable to anyone without a suit.

The slowdown is an elegant tradeoff.

The hand-slowdown shit is not.
i agree with this fucking guy
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #145347

So the old method didn't require a check every step and the new method doesn't need a check every step.

So can't they both co exist as independent things? I mean I know you hate snowflake code but maybe for one of the integral items to a space setting it would be worth it?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #145396

Hand slowdown is fine, For items that are meant to be used while in hand. Items that provide their benefit when worn should also only provide their speed penalty when worn as well. Holding a minigun could slow you because it provides its benefit by being a powerful weapon, ready to use. Spinning it up and firing it could increase the slowdown to the point where the user is essentially only capable of a few sidesteps. It is not due to the mechanics of firing a huge weapon with a heavy recoil, it is simply to make the user more vulnerable to attack.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #145408

Incredibly strong weapons that give you a slowdown is a cool idea just to be clear, just adding slowdown to hardsuit items when held was silly.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #145449

why do we fucking need miniguns? who's going to get it? syndies? syndies are already quite capable of killing every fucking thing.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #145451

Wizard chaos miniguns that fire random magic projectiles when
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #145455

Super Aggro Crag wrote:why do we fucking need miniguns? who's going to get it? syndies? syndies are already quite capable of killing every fucking thing.
50 brute per shot, 5-round burst, only works with a backpack-mounted ammunition holder (200 rounds, or 40 bursts). Heavy recoil unless held in both hands and spun up, which takes a few seconds - note you're already slowed down a lot by the gun. (You'd be undraggable too, so the other ops can't drag you around for 250-brute burst spam.)
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #145459

TheNightingale wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:why do we fucking need miniguns? who's going to get it? syndies? syndies are already quite capable of killing every fucking thing.
50 brute per shot, 5-round burst, only works with a backpack-mounted ammunition holder (200 rounds, or 40 bursts). Heavy recoil unless held in both hands and spun up, which takes a few seconds - note you're already slowed down a lot by the gun. (You'd be undraggable too, so the other ops can't drag you around for 250-brute burst spam.)
they already have so many fucking guns why do they need AND THEN THERES THIS GUN THAT GUNS EVEN GUNNER THAN GUN EXCEPT FOR THIS DRAWBACK like fucks sake they already win 85 percent of rounds they're in, why not just give them a fucking High Intensity Gamma Burst Cannon that instantly kills everyone on the station no matter where they are hiding.

fuck i remember when these syndie assholes were just douchebags in turtlenecks and red pajamas with revolvers and they still managed to be some of the most threatening guys in the antag roster, now they've got pitchblack powerarmor made out of melted down neutronium katanas that makes them unstunnable and gives them 98 percent damage resistance and miniguns and the crew can't use anything they drop because it explodes.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #145460

The current machine gun the ops have is already useless so I have no idea why another one should be added.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Tsaricide
Byond Username: Tsaricide

Post by Tsaricide » #145462

I'm glad this was added, trying to chase someone who can just take their hardsuit off instantly and speed away was really annoying.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #145534

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:
they already have so many fucking guns why do they need AND THEN THERES THIS GUN THAT GUNS EVEN GUNNER THAN GUN EXCEPT FOR THIS DRAWBACK like fucks sake they already win 85 percent of rounds they're in, why not just give them a fucking High Intensity Gamma Burst Cannon that instantly kills everyone on the station no matter where they are hiding.

fuck i remember when these syndie assholes were just douchebags in turtlenecks and red pajamas with revolvers and they still managed to be some of the most threatening guys in the antag roster, now they've got pitchblack powerarmor made out of melted down neutronium katanas that makes them unstunnable and gives them 98 percent damage resistance and miniguns and the crew can't use anything they drop because it explodes.
In defense of old syndicate, those old :revolver: did as much damage melee as they did ranged.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #146409

Kor wrote:I wanted heavy weapons to be possible, and originally exempted hardsuits, but it was pointed out that istype checks every mob step was retarded, so I made it do everything.

I lost interest in heavy weapons anyway so I will revert this when the freeze is over
Yep, istype checks every step is retarded.

Thats why bitflags exist.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #146414

We have shitty features we get stuck with every freeze. Can we count this as a bug and fix it?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #147104

Wyzack wrote:We have shitty features we get stuck with every freeze. Can we count this as a bug and fix it?
As far as I now this is a bug to begin with and was never intended to apply to hardsuits.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147106

It's intended.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #147107

Zilenan91 wrote:It's intended.
I can hardly call this intended:
I wanted heavy weapons to be possible, and originally exempted hardsuits, but it was pointed out that istype checks every mob step was retarded