Saltball's Grab Nerf

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Saltball's Grab Nerf

Post by ShadowDimentio » #165251

For what purpose
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Saltball's Grab Nerf

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #165252

I guess goof "doesn't play" ball played and got tabled and then grudgecoded.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #165259

Tabling is a shadow of its former glory, it's like a microsecond stun. How does one produce salt towards that which cannot dunk you
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #165269

TechnoAlchemist wrote:I guess goof "doesn't play" ball played and got tabled and then grudgecoded.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #165270

Don't worry he'll just add a "Neurostim Slim Jim" reagent to goofchem that allows for more robust tabling.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #165271

well actually someone walked up to me while I was wrenching something down, grabbed me, quickaggro'd since there's no cooldown on passive->aggro, then neckgrabbed me

then I found out that the resist grab escape was literally broken and has been for 4 years,

then i found out the prob to get out of a neck grab by moving(which was the only way to get out due to resist being broken)
is 5% chance

and it increases your move delay to like 30 seconds

and then to add on, it stuns/weakens you, meaning you can't move at all

therefore, you literally couldn't escape a grab
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #165272

I will say it again that if you get placed into a choke hold it is usually 90% your fault. Meme change
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #165274

and that's an excuse for it being impossible to escape due to bugs?

for all you guys talk about counter play memes there's no counter if you get neckgrabbed
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #165275

Grabs are almost never used, are hard to apply and take ages to actually crit someone.

You gotta have options in the game besides stunning and cuffing you know.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #165276

Neck grabs were the only reliable way to restrain lings. Everyone assumed it was a feature, good thing this horrible fun bug was removed
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #165277

iamgoofball wrote:and that's an excuse for it being impossible to escape due to bugs?

for all you guys talk about counter play memes there's no counter if you get neckgrabbed
>No counters
>Except literally just moving before you get neckgrabbed

Bugfixing is fine but pairing it with GRUDGECODING NERFS :^))) is inexcuseable
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #165286

iamgoofball wrote: then I found out that the resist grab escape was literally broken and has been for 4 years,
so thats why resist never worked since years, I thought I was doing it wrong or whatever
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #165288

Changelog entry reads as "I know this change is retarded but I don't care"
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #165291

Oldman Robustin did this to me twice, just to get a rise from me. You do not see me throwing up grudge PRs to nerf everything that makes me angry...
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #165293

You have to be not paying attention/chain stunned/cuffed to gete neck grabbed in the first place.

Yes there is no delay between passive grab and aggressive grab, but there is a significant one to go to neck grab. Now there is literally no point in ever trying to neckgrab someone. Please, prove me wrong.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #165294

Not like an agressive grab can do anything other than throwing someone to a wall or tabling. And the move delay is to the one that is grabbing, not the one being grabbed.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165295

They key point here is that you have to stun your target before you can reliably get them in an aggressive grab. Somebody fucked with goofball in-game, he got pissy and grudgecoded this. I know it gets thrown around a lot, but "git gud" really does apply here.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #165305

The delay for neckgrab is already huge, so either you got carp fu'd or you are just bad I am sorry
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #165309

I've already made a PR to scale this back, although it should really be reverted entirely (but the revert got denied because "muh kneejerk XD!")

reposting my github post about why this was a shit nerf:
also i'd like to point out that with goofball's nerfs, this would happen:
1. you go for a neckgrab
2. it takes literally as long as killgrabs did prenerf (see: standing still for like 15 odd seconds)
3. during this time the person you are grabbing can move at any moment and break out meaning that the idea of getting the grab in the first place is outright unrealistic
4. if you somehow miraculously get them into a neckgrab, they are not stunned at all and can immediately try to break out
5. they proc a breakout approx. 1 time per second with a 50% chance of breaking out every time
6. to upgrade to a killgrab you need to stand still for 20~ more seconds (each second has a 50% chance of the person breaking out! 20 coin flips all landing on heads!) without them breaking out, which statistically will never realistically happen ever

he effectively removed killgrabs, and made neckgrabs so mindbogglingly worthless that he may as well have removed those too
shame on whoever thought it was a good PR
tl;dr: goof didn't just nerf neckgrabbing but effectively removed it and nobody noticed
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #165327

iamgoofball wrote:and that's an excuse for it being impossible to escape due to bugs?

Called moving or not getting stunned tbh
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #165328

There does need to be a way to escape neckgrabs, but triggering a 50% chance 20 times doesn't seem quite right.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #165330

If you have time to neckgrab someone you have enough time to drag them into maint, find some wire, make cable cuffs and cuff them. And you can't break out of those without standing there for 30 seconds not moving, and no on complains about that.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #165332

Grabs are weird and retarded. I've disarmed/stunned/ran away from a guy neckgrabbing me before, only for it to fail/still neckgrab/literally teleport me through walls into their grasp.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #165342

grabs are going away
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165352

oranges wrote:grabs are going away
Given the feedback in this thread, coderbus may want to rethink that
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #165356

>Implying coderbus doesn't just do whatever they feel like until a normie steps in and makes change themselves (See: Newcult and American Hero Oldman)
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #165359

oranges wrote:grabs are going away
I was under the impression that coderbus wanted to outright replace the grab code, not make grabs something that cannot happen.

If you remove grabs you have to remove all wrestling related items.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #165360

They want to do a bit of both from what I know.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #165363

>Remove grabs

W H Y

The help/disarm/harm/grab cube works so perfectly well, what possible reasons would we want to remove grabs
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #165365

shitcode, more intuitive alternatives
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #165366

If they actually develop a GOOD grab 2.0 alternative then I'll be cool, but coderbus has a fucking terrible track record of starting ambitious projects, giving up and pushing through shit half-finished project (disablers, goofchem, newcult, ling, and so many more) that only serve to shit up everything.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #165439

We have a great alternative already. Click/drag is far better in most situations.

The tricky thing to replace is mob throws.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #165440

Didn't people only get put in a grab hold is if they are either utterly inattentive or are stunned before hand?

Sure if you've got great ping to the server and someone who is busy doing something else then you MAY get something out of it, but otherwise it seems so much a non-issue and a literal 'I ded pls nerf' change.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165449

Steelpoint wrote:a literal 'I ded pls nerf' change.
This is literally what it is. Goofball isn't even trying to hide this. Grudgecode at its finest.

On a related note, what's with coderbus' hateboner for grab intent?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #165452

Luke Cox wrote:
This is literally what it is. Goofball isn't even trying to hide this. Grudgecode at its finest.

Grab intent must have been so overused, it left entire stations dead in its path.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #165454

I was once aggressive choked across like half the station once before they finally killed me. Honestly I found it really funny, bring back the pain.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #165476

hugbox 2016
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #165494

Stuff like this comes around routinely to destroy whatever iota of faith I'd slowly built up for coderbus. Meme PR, large amounts of opposition, gets merged within 48 hours without even getting a controversial tag.

I just look at the PR page some days and feel like giving up, I tried to focus my opposition on the "borderline" PR's that are bad but have enough support to get merged if someone doesn't speak up. Then I ignore meme PR's like this that I'm certain will get closed, only to see them merged a day later.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #165499

Oldman you're doing god's work
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #165547

Oldman Robustin wrote:Stuff like this comes around routinely to destroy whatever iota of faith I'd slowly built up for coderbus. Meme PR, large amounts of opposition, gets merged within 48 hours without even getting a controversial tag.
It's almost like they are purposefully sabotaging sometimes when shit like this pops up and is allowed to go through despite its stupidity (and vitriolic player response, earned in this case). Grabs were useful, and not for choking, but those are all gone now too with this nerf shit.
Don't burn yourself out, CJS.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #165548

It already got halfway reverted, chill.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #165580

Why are people allowed to get away with shit like this?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #165584

i have the right to put up PRs

i've already supported the de-nerf

the only serious problem I had with grabs was being unable to escape them, PK's PR made it so grabs are 2good again but you can actually escape again
Luke Cox wrote:

Alright, so here's the deal with grab code:

it's about 5 to 6 years old at this point

pretty much no one touches grab code

it's laggy as fuck(we had people telling stories in the nerf PR about how they got grabbed by someone, ran off, and then suddenly teleported back into the person's neck grab)

the code is broken in many ways
see: resisting out of grabs has been broken for 4+ years according to the old guard players(most of them thought it was a feature despite their being like 80-100+ lines dedicated to escaping grabs

and finally, the killer:

We have Pull. Pull code is new. Pull code is actually nice. Pull code isn't doing everything manually. If we can recreate all grab uses with pull, we can kill grabcode and make it actually useful.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #165629

Speaking of shitty prs, the Neurotoxin nerf disguised as a tweak https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/16404. Literally why.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #165681

Kor wrote:We have a great alternative already. Click/drag is far better in most situations.

The tricky thing to replace is mob throws.
1. will never ever be used in combat due to requiring precise mouse movements in otherwise generally spam-clicky combat
2. upgrading grabs with click+drag will be janky as fuck with no UI feedback
3. click+drag is already used for stripping
just make it function the way it already does but clean up the code if it's such as issue
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #165682

Pretty much the above.
You can grab someone mid combat with spam clicking, where as pull does not.

I don't even know how you intend to replace upgraded grabs/throws with pull.

Why can like, grab code not just be written or something, but then, if you're intended to actually give pull all of grabs functionality, that's basically what has to happen anyway...
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #166196

There's literally no reason to have both. Pulling is generally more well liked.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #166201

MisterPerson wrote:There's literally no reason to have both. Pulling is generally more well liked.
>give a list of reasons
>"There's literally no reason"
thanks MisterReadingcomprehension
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #166208

MisterPerson wrote:There's literally no reason to have both. Pulling is generally more well liked.
Comparing grab to pull is a total false equivalency and you know it. Pulling is for moving shit, grab is for combat.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #166214

Zilenan91 wrote:Speaking of shitty prs, the Neurotoxin nerf disguised as a tweak https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/16404. Literally why.
Glad that didn't get merged, it would've made the first six units of either chemical useless and would've taken about 30 seconds for them to actually do anything useful.