Bawhoppen advertises their wiki page and seeks suggestions

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Bawhoppen advertises their wiki page and seeks suggestions

Post by Bawhoppennn » #637625

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Codebase_History

I've been randomly developing this wiki page for awhile, to try and hopefully document a curated list of major changes to the repo, for public knowledge's sake.

I think it has enough by now where it might be useful by now for the purpose of getting a better idea of how things changed over time, but it definitely is still really missing a lot of things.

Github search isn't very useful for finding new things to add rather than just scrolling chronological, so please let me know of any major changes you think oughtta be added.

TY

BTW Pre-Github era means searching through commits manually. This means you basically need to have the feature in mind, so you can go search for when it was added. This is why 2010-2013 is so parse right now.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Bawhoppen advertises their wiki page and seeks suggestions

Post by Mothblocks » #637658

new prefs menu
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #637661

add goofball porting goofchem in 2014 that was a watershed moment (easy to find via github search)

also aranclanos creating linda, very important

lemoninthedark's fastmos, huge milestone

also add the removal of the malf ai satellite and the prison station, which was like 2011 or something

also the ability to spawn roundstart as a lizardperson, that would lead to the furries-in-denial nightmare we have today

also the change to R&D from destructive analysing an optimised metalist of bullshit every round, having to teleport to the telecomms sat to get subspace ansibles and whatnot to deconstruct, to techwebs or whatever superseded it

also the move of telecomms from the satellite to the station

also the removal of stun gloves and the introduction of the stunprod, that was a huge change in the meta

maybe the relentless buffing of the spear to be the insanity it is today by old melee damage standards
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #637672

The rise and fall of telescience might be fun to include for historical preservation, but I wouldn't call it super important to the game in the way that, for instance, Stun Gloves or slip changes were.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Flareguy
Byond Username: Flareguy

Post by Flareguy » #637678

Fermichem

Mood & Moodlets

Tramstation

Boxstation removal, Icebox Station (no idea which PR actually added it)

Station-accessible shotgun buckshot removal, not important in the grand scheme of things but it made shotguns a lot worse (for better or for worse)

Memories, not a very important feature but probably still worth documenting

Quirks

Monkey's removal from code, Jungle Fever turned into Jungle Flu

Thieves
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #637680

The botany rework (removing the gene manipulator) was pretty big.

Chef/cooking stuff that got added over time (deep fryer, oven, griddle, tourist bots etc)

The removal of lava dwarves happened before my time but it might make for an interesting footnote.

Maps entering and leaving rotation would be cool too. (RIP Pubby)
► Show Spoiler
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #637681

YES these were the things I was looking for, thank you gamers

There's so many changes over the years it's honestly easy to forget about them, until reminded, so it's best to ask

Farquaar wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:56 pm The removal of lava dwarves happened before my time but it might make for an interesting footnote.
For this one in particular, if I recall, it was never full-merged, only test-merged extensively. I couldn't decide what to do with that circumstance, so I didn't add it even though I thought about it.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #637682

cacogen wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:47 am add goofball porting goofchem in 2014 that was a watershed moment (easy to find via github search)
Also I already had this one, don't worry
I wasn't gonna miss one of the most infamous PRs of all time

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #637687

Crypto-pod addition and removal lines are both links to their addition PR

The big TC value overhauls, of which there must have been at least two (move from 10 to 20 starting TC and addition of prog traitor) would be good

The nerfs of C4 and parapens

The addition of floor crawling
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #637957

Living God

Extraordinary Person

Flareguy
Byond Username: Flareguy

Post by Flareguy » #637983

It could be far too big of a task or too minor to document, but what about major resprites? Just stuff like new baseline jumpsuit sprites or maybe the new meat or tool resprites, since those are generally all common items you see in nearly every game.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #637993

Flareguy wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:03 pm It could be far too big of a task or too minor to document, but what about major resprites? Just stuff like new baseline jumpsuit sprites or maybe the new meat or tool resprites, since those are generally all common items you see in nearly every game.
It would be very interesting to see these sprite changes listed out over time, though it'd be a bit of work for absolute. I am aiming to only add really major features/reworks/removals of game content to this list (or ones that were very controversial/made public notice), stuff that's player facing but is content related. Of course some exceptions do apply for very big things that are important milestones.

If you're interested in creating a list of sprite changes, feel free to make a Wiki page! You can use the same format as I am. Pretty easy to use.

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #638030

Were sleepers removed with a chem rework, or was that separate?

Same for the adding of the Wounds system.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #638039

Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:32 pm Were sleepers removed with a chem rework, or was that separate?

Same for the adding of the Wounds system.
Wounds are https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/50558