Campbell Secborgs: Fresh Salt Stories

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Campbell Secborgs: Fresh Salt Stories

Post by Pandarsenic » #636983

I figure if we're going to treat the Secborg Trial as anything but "Haha, let's reenable them to mess with Goof" which, to be fair, is a valid and honorable reason they're going to need to be on for a while - a month being the usual trial period - but we also need to take a serious, honest look at what's going wrong with them.

Now, I don't have any Salt Stories yet because
► Show Spoiler
But obviously, not ever round can be so perfect as the secborgs standing by together and laughing at the crew, firing Funny Blue Beams into each other to make sparks and explaining to a furious officer and detective that we saw nothing our laws required us to intervene in.

If we're going to seriously look at What Goes Wrong with Secborgs, I'd like all of y'all's reports, as best you can, of any instances of secborgs violating laws (or the perception thereof). Round numbers are good if anyone feels the need to factcheck or admins want to look at stuff; probably just leave names out - this isn't a SHADOW PISSED ON MY WIFE thread, it's about addressing how secborgs (if indeed secborgs are responsible) change validhunting dynamics.

BUT ALSO

Hit us with stories of secborgs doing cool shit, like if they stun security to prevent harm to other crewmembers or whatever. Give us your secborg impressions video. Secborg unboxing. Secborg 10-minute tutorial.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Re: Campbell Secborgs: Fresh Salt Stories

Post by Annihilite111 » #637024

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:50 pm I figure if we're going to treat the Secborg Trial as anything but "Haha, let's reenable them to mess with Goof" which, to be fair, is a valid and honorable reason they're going to need to be on for a while - a month being the usual trial period - but we also need to take a serious, honest look at what's going wrong with them.

Now, I don't have any Salt Stories yet because
► Show Spoiler
But obviously, not ever round can be so perfect as the secborgs standing by together and laughing at the crew, firing Funny Blue Beams into each other to make sparks and explaining to a furious officer and detective that we saw nothing our laws required us to intervene in.

If we're going to seriously look at What Goes Wrong with Secborgs, I'd like all of y'all's reports, as best you can, of any instances of secborgs violating laws (or the perception thereof). Round numbers are good if anyone feels the need to factcheck or admins want to look at stuff; probably just leave names out - this isn't a SHADOW PISSED ON MY WIFE thread, it's about addressing how secborgs (if indeed secborgs are responsible) change validhunting dynamics.

BUT ALSO

Hit us with stories of secborgs doing cool shit, like if they stun security to prevent harm to other crewmembers or whatever. Give us your secborg impressions video. Secborg unboxing. Secborg 10-minute tutorial.
This friday, i rolled thief, and asked admemes to have my shitty MODsuit objective changed. I got a single sentence back: "how hard do you want it?". My answer? "How hard can you make it?".

Objective: steal the nuclear authentication disk.

Oh boy. I started preparations immediately. Being icebox, i tracked down the maint beepsky to cannibalise for his stunbaton, and got lucky enough to have the rat king come by to kill him for me. I then got a disguise that wouldn't tie back to me, and prepared my glorious plan.
I was an engineer, and the CE was our acting cap. I'd listened outside of the captains office as he rifled through the things there, and so he likely had it on his person. I prepared my plan accordingly. One click rendered the SM cooling loop pump inactive, causing the unaltered roundstart setup to rapidly begin delamming. My plan was to get the CE to come fix it, preferably alone, and then ambush him with my stunbaton, stealing the disk.
Of course, he came with a fucking secborg. I had a flash, but no way to actually restrain a borg, and they would most certainly manage to call for help before i could take the disk. So i waited in the locker i was hiding in.
An assistant had previously broken into engineering, and knew where i was hiding. The utter legend took the blame for the sabotage and was sent to brig, while the secborg, the CE and another engineer tried to fix the single pump i'd turned off. Somehow, they managed to fail. SM went blam, a quick ahelp with admemes confirmed that i wasn't in trouble since the sabotage was intentionally easily fixed and only done to lure out the CE, and i lost my chance to get the disk.

I was getting desperate. The delam caused a shuttle call, and i needed the borgs to not interfere with my theft. I therefore stole the AI upload board and printed a freeform with the intent of uploading a law making the possession of the disk by anyone other than myself human harm.
Of course, i forgot about the shuttle. The announcement of its arrival lit a firr under my ass, and i immediately ran to departures. Lucky me, the CE was just about to board the shuttle! I stunned his ass and realised i forgot to make zipties.
Turns out, stripping a MODsuit wearer is hell. I couldn't keep him stunned long enough for the to-do to complete, and reapplying the stun caused the bar to reset.
I was fucked.
Soon, other crew came running in response to the CEs screams, and i got readily robusted by a pair wielding a telebaton.
The secborg, who had seen me get harmbatoned by my assailants, while never dealing any damage myself, of course decided to arrest me...
I tried pointing this out to it, and ordered it to release me, but since they'd bagsearched me and found the AI upload the borg decided that i was "valid", in a spectacular failure to understand his own lawset (asimov). I was thus taken into custody on the shuttle, and ended my round cuffed to a chair.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #637026

Had a great round as secborg under the American lawset.

The second law is "Fight for the rights of every man" so we pulled up a copy of the bill of rights and ensured every man had their rights protected. Had some very funny conversations with female crew, and a genderless ethereal, who were not allowed to raid the armory for the right to bear arms with everyone else. Also stopped a security officer from conducting an unreasonable search and seizure and we banned security from the dorms to follow the "Protection against housing soldiers in civilian homes" and insisted on a right to trial by jury for every man.

Then a woman armed herself, I made my first arrest, and was instantly lasered to death and thrown into the bottom level of tram by their metafriend. MRP moment.

Secborgs are so fun I forgot how impactful AI laws used to actually be on a round. The fastest way to give a round a 'theme' was to give the AI some interesting laws but once the hands of the silicon were cut off it became essentially meaningless. Silicons require access to the monopoly on violence for their laws to really mean anything.

The more I think about it the more I realize that the lack of secborgs means AIs are restricted to wider reaching methods like departmental lockdowns instead of having borgs to enforce their will more selectively. God we made such a mistake removing them.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Annihilite111

Post by Annihilite111 » #637028

Stickymayhem wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:52 am Snip
Did you ahelp the metafriend? Cause that sounds like a ban right there.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #637031

I think I'm gonna give Campbell a try if we're gonna have secborgs for a moment.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #637032

Annihilite111 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:58 am
Yeah I think they just got away with a note
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Annihilite111

Post by Annihilite111 » #637055

Stickymayhem wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:32 am
Annihilite111 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:58 am
Yeah I think they just got away with a note
a note for an unjustified kill? Isn't policy a dayban?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #637058

Annihilite111 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:32 am The secborg, who had seen me get harmbatoned by my assailants, while never dealing any damage myself, of course decided to arrest me...
I tried pointing this out to it, and ordered it to release me, but since they'd bagsearched me and found the AI upload the borg decided that i was "valid", in a spectacular failure to understand his own lawset (asimov). I was thus taken into custody on the shuttle, and ended my round cuffed to a chair.
I'm going to become the Joker
Annihilite111 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:34 pm a note for an unjustified kill? Isn't policy a dayban?
Things are probably a little looser around Secborgs right now because nobody knows what the hell to do about them again yet
Stickymayhem wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:52 am Secborgs are so fun I forgot how impactful AI laws used to actually be on a round. The fastest way to give a round a 'theme' was to give the AI some interesting laws but once the hands of the silicon were cut off it became essentially meaningless. Silicons require access to the monopoly on violence for their laws to really mean anything.

The more I think about it the more I realize that the lack of secborgs means AIs are restricted to wider reaching methods like departmental lockdowns instead of having borgs to enforce their will more selectively. God we made such a mistake removing them.
SickosYes.png
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #637201

Here's the secret with SecBorgs and why we should return them.

Cases like Annihilite's is easily solveable with Silicon Bans for disobeying their Laws. It'll take a little while, but eventually the problem will stop.