Additional Access: Basically anywhere
Supervisors: Spider Clan
Duties: Energy sword everything, nom on electrical wires.
Guides: This is the guide
Quote: Nothing personnel kid.
Space Ninjas are a special type of ninja, specifically one of the space-faring type. The vast majority of space ninjas belong to the Spider Clan, a cult-like sect which has existed for several hundred years. The Spider Clan practice a sort of augmentation of human flesh in order to achieve a more perfect state of being and follow Postmodern Space Bushido. They also kill people for money. Their leaders are chosen from the oldest of the grand-masters, people that have lived a lot longer than any mortal man should. Being a sect of technology-loving fanatics, the Spider Clan have the very best to choose from in terms of hardware--cybernetic implants, exoskeleton rigs, hyper-capacity batteries, and you get the idea. Some believe that much of the Spider Clan equipment is based on reverse-engineered alien technology while others doubt such claims. Whatever the case, their technology is absolutely superb.
Welcome to the Spider Clan!
If you're reading this, congratulations! Fortune has decided to turn you into a 26th century agent worthy of the title "ninja". You spawn in a suit of cyberpunk-esque ninja gear which provides your powers, and you have your trusty energy katana on your belt. You should use the emergency oxygen tank in your suit storage as internals, not the C02 jetpack on your back. You have between four and six objectives. You are not required to follow them, yet your NINJA HONOR demands you try.
Or maybe you're just some chump who wants to learn about Space Ninjas. Well, read on.
How do I become one?
Space Ninjas may spawn as a random event once the round duration reaches 60 minutes. They're selected from the pool of ghosts with the 'be space ninja' antagonist option enabled. Space ninjas spawn outside the station, typically on the solars. Only one Space Ninja may spawn per round.
The Way of Ninjutsu
As a member of the Spider Clan, your technologically advanced, cybernetically-enhancing suit is everything to you. Included with it is a pair of ninja gloves, a pair of ninja boots, a ninja hood, and a ninja mask. These items work in conjunction with the suit. The hood, makes you untrackable by the AI, the gloves allow for special interactions with objects or creatures, and the shoes prevent you from slipping. Your suit also functions as high-quality armor.
None of your suit's functions are available until you use the Initialize action button. Putting on a ninja suit (after you somehow get one) and pressing this button as a non-ninja is a very very bad idea.
Aside from your suit, you have a number of items at your disposal. There is an energy katana at your belt. It inflicts 40 brute damage per attack, can deflect projectiles in the same way an energy sword can, and may be recalled to you whenever you lose it with an ability in your 'Ninja Ability' tab aptly named 'Recall Energy Katana'. It has a dash mode that when enabled, will allow you to teleport to any location on screen. While dash is disabled, it has all of the functions of a cryptographic sequencer, so you can open airlocks with it, among other things. It also deals twenty brute damage when thrown. You have a brick of C4 and a flashlight in your pockets, an emergency oxygen tank in your suit storage, and a C02 jetpack on your back. There are night vision goggles on your face.
Your suit runs on electricity and consumes it for its many abilities. To recharge your power supply, Toggle Interaction under the 'Ninja Equip' tab and click on a power wire, APC, mech, cyborg, power cell, or SMES unit. Doing so will filter power from that object into you.
By default your suit runs on a 10,000-capacity power cell and thus can only hold 10,000 units of electricity, displayed as 100% in the status tab. You can upgrade your suit's battery by first picking up a power cell of greater capacity, then enabling interaction (glove hud icon), and then using the power cell on your ninja suit. Installing a 15,000-capacity cell will increase your power capacity to 150%, for example.
Overwhelmed? You can load a Personal AI by using it on your suit with interaction enabled.
- Phase Cloak: Renders you partially invisible. Cost: about 1% energy per second cloaked (By 1%, we mean 1% of your starting maximum energy. If you double your capacity with a different power cell, this would cost 0.5% energy per second.)
- EM Burst: Creates a 4-square strong, 6-square weak electromagnetic pulse. EMP disables radios, cameras, energy-based weaponry and hurts silicons. Cost: 25% energy
- Create Throwing Star: 3D-prints a permanent throwing star of the same sort a traitor can purchase. Using this ability turns on throw mode so the star can be thrown instantly. These deal thirty brute damage and embed into people when thrown, inflicting further damage over time. Cost: 1% energy
- Recall Energy Katana: Recalls your energy katana to you. The cost of this ability is variable based on how far you are from the katana. If the katana is onscreen when you use this ability it will be thrown in your direction, hitting anyone in the way.
- Smoke Bomb: Drops a smoke bomb that obstructs vision and allows your escape. You get between five and twenty. Use them wisely...or throw a ninja party! Cost: 0 energy
- Adrenaline Boost: This undoes stuns, knockdowns, and unconsciousness. You get between one and seven. It also injects you with radium, which decays into harmful radiation. Cost: 0 energy
- Energy Net: This ability entangles a player in an energy net which will after about thirty seconds teleport them to ninja prison. During this period they and others can attack the energy net to remove it, so make sure to restrain or sedate them beforehand. Cost: 20% energy
You can also shock people by touching them with any intent except harm while special interaction is enabled, using some suit energy to stun them and inflict a small amount of burn damage.
Ninjas generally have six objectives, unless they were created by an administrator. You will either be assigned to help or harm the station. This is determined by whether your employer is Nanotrasen or the Syndicate. Irrespective of who your employer is you're allowed to engage anyone regardless of their loyalties.
- Steal research levels: You will have to steal between 10 and 20 levels of Research from RnD. Depending on if the scientists bothered to do research you may have to do it yourself, or coerce someone into doing it. Sometimes your mere presence will start research; eg. "NINJA ON STATION, R&D START WORK ON LASER CANNONS."
To steal the research, simply click the RnD Terminal with special interaction enabled and you will automatically download the research. This takes a while.
- Protect a target: An assignment for Nanotrasen-employed ninjas, or Syndicate-employed ninjas to protect an antagonist. Prevent the target's death.
- Assassinate a target: An assignment for Syndicate-employed ninjas, or Nanotrasen-employed ninjas assigned to kill an antagonist. Ensure the target dies.
- Capture a target: Capture someone using the Energy Net ability.
- Steal a target's brain: An assignment for Syndicate-employed ninjas, or Nanotrasen-employed ninjas assigned to debrain an antagonist. Surgically remove the target's brain and keep it.
- Survive until round end: Simple, just don't die.
- Steal a high risk item: Just what it says on the tin. Steal some magboots, secret documents, or whatnot.
As with all antagonist objectives, these are optional. But before you go indiscriminately test out your energy katana on the faces of the crew, consider that playing as a space ninja is a rare opportunity you may not get to indulge in again for a long while.
- It's a good idea to upgrade your power cell at the earliest opportunity.
- Need to capture someone, but can't find any non-lethal weaponry to subdue them with? Make some cable coils into cable restraints, then use your gloves to stun them while you cuff them. Use your EMP ability to disable their radios and prevent them from calling for help.
- You can drain APCs and render them inoperable. Depending on whether you're with or against the station, this may be tactically useful.
- You gain the most power per tick from highly-charged SMES units.
- Darkness is your ally. The night vision goggles on your face can be your most potent weapon.
- Adrenaline Boost should only be used in absolute emergencies.
- Your energy katana doesn't stun on the first hit, but your hands do.
- You'll have to eat often, since moving one step increments your hunger, and Space Ninjas move at a blistering fast pace thanks to their ninja shoes.
- Eating requires you de-initialize and remove your suit, which is a lengthy process during which you will be vulnerable. Stock up on high-quality food from the chef -- it's not common knowledge, but eating healthy food gives you a healthy metabolism, which makes you have to eat less and will also decrease the effects of the radium from the Adrenaline Boost ability.
- Beepsky will mess you up. EMP him.
- Being a Space Ninja is a careful balancing act of simultaneously paying attention to your objectives, your health, your nutrition, your suit's power level, and other resources. Consider grabbing a personal AI to help manage these factors.