|Access: You can fly through walls|
Additional Access: N/A
Supervisors: Nobody! You're finally free!
Duties: Whine, complain, be dead.
Guides: Ghost around,
Quote: i ded plz restart
So you've tried to fight THE MAN and lost, eh? Never fear, you are now a ghost! You've probably already noticed you can go through walls and jump to people and shit, pretty cool huh? Well, guess what, you can't do anything else. Yeah, to be honest, the only "good" thing about being a ghost is that you can randomly become an Alien when some silly gentleman has a bad encounter with a facehugger.
Travelling to the Astral Plane
The "ghost" command allows you to become a ghost, whether you are dead or alive. CAUTION! Ghosts can re-enter their body (assuming their body isn't gibs or ashes) if they ghosted after death, allowing that body to be cloned if anyone ever finds it. However, if you ghost before you die, your body will appear as "catatonic" and can't be re-entered or cloned.
Once you're a ghost, odds are you're going to stay a ghost until the end of the round. But never fear! Besides being chosen to be an alien, ghosts may also become pAIs or adamantine golems if the right mortal beings seek you out (and your game settings allow it)! If the gods are especially playful, you might even get the chance to become something else!
This revision completely changed the game forever. Before this revision, ghosts could interact with the living realm. They had the ability to rotate chairs, use the "Boo!" verb which flickered lights on and off, and speech would leak into the world, although in a muffled in-cohesive manner. However, this was considered too fun for the station and was removed due to it being abused by players to acquire meta information.
Hey, Chaplain, Hey Chaplain, why can't you hear me?!
Quite some time ago, ghosts were easily able to be heard by the living. Unfortunately, this increased staff turnover as often the ghosts made the living go homicidal. And so, Nanotrasen added a "no listening to crazy ghost" clause to their contract of employment. Sorry ghosts, you can't be heard by the living any more, try
twiddling chairs. not dying.
It is rumored that ghosts can commune with certain practitioners of the dark arts should they use specific magics, but of course such things would never happen on a tightly controlled Nanotrasen station.
Oh the chatter, MAKE IT STOP!!
There are several verbs for you to use so you can filter out what the living people are saying/doing/whispering/messaging etc. so you're not flooded with everyone on the station screaming over each other.
- Toggle Ghost HUD: Toggles the HUD
- Show/Hide GhostEars: Hear everyone's speech
- Show/Hide GhostPDA: See everyone's PDA messages
- Show/Hide GhostSight: See everyone's emotes
- Show/Hide GhostWhispers: Hear everyone's whispers
Now where's that disk gone
Ghosts have 5 basic commands in their HUD, if enabled:
- Teleport to Mob: Will let you choose between a list of all mobs in game to teleport to. Useful for tracking nonsetient mobs such as lavaland bosses.
- Orbit: This will show a list of all sentient mobs and points of interest to choose from. Picking one will teleport you to it and make you start orbiting it. PoI include the nuke disk, the nuke, ghost role spawn locations, gang dominators, and so on. Double-clicking any element will also cause you to orbit it.
- Re-enter Corpse: Will cause you to go back inside your corpse, if you still have one. Very important when being revived, as normal methods usually won't work iff you're not inside. This also makes you go back to your body if you're using a Blood Cult Astral Projection rune or a Wizard's scrying orb.
- Teleport (to location): Gives a list of areas, allowing you to teleport to any of them. Useful for z-level crossing, as without this you can't watch CentCom.
- pAI candidacy: Allows you to make yourself available for download as a pAI. Upon clicking you'll be able to edit your name and description, which the people looking for pAIs can check to decide who to download.
A lesser-known command, not in the HUD, is "observe", which can be found in the ghost tab. Using it works similarly to orbit, but it will show you the perspective of the observed person, along with their HUD.
Ghosts have a few tools to observe every move of the living with maximum comfort.
- Toggle Inquisitiveness: Reaching the SHIFT key is hard! With this toggled on, you'll examine everything you click.
- Toggle Darkness: Don't let a simple lack of light prevent you from seeing those maint-stalkers!
- Toggle Sec/Med/Diag HUD: Turns on every HUD at once!
- Change View Range: Having ascended from your mortal coil, your sight is no longer limited to seven meters; use this verb to expand your horizons. Or reduce them if you want to for some reason.
Lavaland, and to a lesser degree, space, can sometimes spawn special ruins containing ghost role spawners. These objects can be clicked as a ghost to spawn as a special neutral role such as the free golems or the ashwalkers. These roles are in a grey area between antagonist and station crew; the rule of thumb is usually to not commit antagonistic acts unless threatened, except for ashwalkers, which are intended to be somewhat hostile to other lifeforms. Every role can have additional rules which are explained in bright red text upon spawning. And remember: you do not remember your past life, so using a ghost role to get revenge will lead to a ban.
GHOST IAN GHOST IAN WHO'S A GOOD GHOST IAN
BYOND subscribers can change the color or appearance of their ghost sprites!